2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege Upgrades!

Forgot if this has already been mentioned, but you absolutely should buy new urethane front and rear motor mounts or buy the urethane inserts if you don't want as much vibration from the engine being transmitted to the car. If you go the insert route, be sure to check the condition of your existing mounts as they may already be shot. The motor mounts are a big problem on this car and can lead to cracking of the exhaust manifold, J pipe, or the exhaust itself. All of which are big headaches.

I have the inserts, and they made a huge difference in the amount of vibration transmitted to the car and I personally wouldn't recommend going with the all urethane insert for a car you plan to keep mostly stock and DD. The car will shake.

Forgot if this has already been mentioned, but you absolutely should buy new urethane front and rear motor mounts or buy the urethane inserts if you don't want as much vibration from the engine being transmitted to the car. If you go the insert route, be sure to check the condition of your existing mounts as they may already be shot. The motor mounts are a big problem on this car and can lead to cracking of the exhaust manifold, J pipe, or the exhaust itself. All of which are big headaches.

I have the inserts, and they made a huge difference in the amount of vibration transmitted to the car and I personally wouldn't recommend going with the all urethane insert for a car you plan to keep mostly stock and DD. The car will shake.

So you would recommend to completely replace the mounts as a DD car, rather than the inserts?

this will cause more vibration in the cabin which equals more noise. He would get less possible wheel hop.

So its recommended to just replace the whole mounts as a whole? Rather than just the inserts?

depends what you want. The softer the mount, the less vibrations in the cabin but more chance of wheel hop. Since you're not going for a ton of horsepower and shouldn't be launching from a stand still anyway on the stock lsd, going for anything more than inserts seems like overkill to me in a DD. If you plan on doing auto-x stiffer might be more useful.

Front and rear your choices are OEM, Corksport inserts, AWR 70, 88 or 95 duro. Higher the duro, the more stiff. Street unit or sure also makes or made some, but they've had a lot of trouble in the quality department

Side mounts your limited to OEM, AWR inserts at 70 duro or full mounts & bushings at 70, 88 or 95.

Here's a very good guide to go by and kinda base things off of: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...mods-for-a-daily-driven-MSP-quot-Guide-Thread

depends what you want. The softer the mount, the less vibrations in the cabin but more chance of wheel hop. Since you're not going for a ton of horsepower and shouldn't be launching from a stand still anyway on the stock lsd, going for anything more than inserts seems like overkill to me in a DD. If you plan on doing auto-x stiffer might be more useful.

Front and rear your choices are OEM, Corksport inserts, AWR 70, 88 or 95 duro. Higher the duro, the more stiff. Street unit or sure also makes or made some, but they've had a lot of trouble in the quality department

Side mounts your limited to OEM, AWR inserts at 70 duro or full mounts & bushings at 70, 88 or 95.

Here's a very good guide to go by and kinda base things off of: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...mods-for-a-daily-driven-MSP-quot-Guide-Thread

Thanks for the great info you provided! actually did come across that guide you provided but it seemed like there weren't to many people active on it anymore.

Would this set be what your talking about, just to double check?:

Front & Rear: http://www.corksport.com/corksport-motor-mount-insert-set-for-protege.html

Driver and passenger:
http://store.awrracing.com/products/Engine-Mount-Inserts-%2d-Protege-1999%2d2003.html

is this correct?

Last edited:
Sorry for so many questions, just want to make sure I purchase the correct ones.

Are these both the same inserts or are they different in terms of which mounts I install them on?

Gotta learn some how. The corksport are for the front & rear, the awr are for the sides. Be sure to check the condition of your mounts too.

Gotta learn some how. The corksport are for the front & rear, the awr are for the sides. Be sure to check the condition of your mounts too.

Thank you for clarifying that up for me. Much appreciated!

And Yes I was going to check condition of mounts first. The car has only 26k miles on it, but when it was not being driven it was only storedin driveway with just a car cover, so it was out in all types of weather.

If anything is worn on the car is most likely due to weather more than the actuality of the car being driven, especially with such low mileage.

dam only 26k!!!

Leave the car stock as s*** and mint as hell.

welcome to the boards and no driving during winter lol

dam only 26k!!!

Leave the car stock as s*** and mint as hell.

welcome to the boards and no driving during winter lol

I am going to keep stock, for the most part, just want to replace things that need replacing like worn out bushings from weather or parts that are known to wear out easily.

**and what?! no winter driving?! (omg)

I am going to keep stock, for the most part, just want to replace things that need replacing like worn out bushings from weather or parts that are known to wear out easily.

you have a limited edition low mileage vehicle in mint condition, they are only getting rarer by the year many members have a beater for winter and enjoy the summer in their protege.

you have a limited edition low mileage vehicle in mint condition, they are only getting rarer by the year many members have a beater for winter and enjoy the summer in their protege.

+1 ... i used to drive my MSP all year round here in Jersey also. its decent in the snow but i finally learned my lesson when i slammed a curb and bent my RH both on the passenger side and bent my rear lateral links and control arms, messed up my wheel bearing and hubs.

definitely IF POSSIBLE get a winter beater once that first snow starts. these cars handle amazingly around the corners on that DRY pavement. and as stated before these cars are only getting harder to find in DECENT condition, let alone unmolested and PERFECT condition like yours.

+1 ... i used to drive my MSP all year round here in Jersey also. its decent in the snow but i finally learned my lesson when i slammed a curb and bent my RH both on the passenger side and bent my rear lateral links and control arms, messed up my wheel bearing and hubs.

definitely IF POSSIBLE get a winter beater once that first snow starts. these cars handle amazingly around the corners on that DRY pavement. and as stated before these cars are only getting harder to find in DECENT condition, let alone unmolested and PERFECT condition like yours.

Thanks for the device. Really taking all of this in! I mean its hard for me to find a beater. Im only 20 and this is my only car atm, but Ill look into it and see what I can do.

**BTW just checked my engine mount and they still look completely fine! Money saved there. I do not need to change them yet, now even the rubber on them is bad. This only goes for side mounts. I have not check front and rear atm.

Thank again for all the input guys! Loving the forum!

Thanks for the device. Really taking all of this in! I mean its hard for me to find a beater. Im only 20 and this is my only car atm, but Ill look into it and see what I can do.

**BTW just checked my engine mount and they still look completely fine! Money saved there. I do not need to change them yet, now even the rubber on them is bad. This only goes for side mounts. I have not check front and rear atm.

Thank again for all the input guys! Loving the forum!

yea def check that front mount. it was my worst mount on mine, followed by my passenger mount being just as bad. i know my rear probably isnt in good shape but its a PIA to get to so im just gonna do it when i do my engine swap. but definitely getting inserts wouldnt hurt, only help preserve your current mounts even more, even if your are DD.

Nice car! KEEP IT STOCK! Honestly with a car that clean and low mileage modding it wouldn't even be worth it. Every last person that mods their Protege (myself included) always ends up reaching the same conclusion that they want something faster, newer, RWD, V8, you name it.

Big reason I say that is cause of rust and corrosion. The salt they put down take a nice tole on your car. Im originally from Pittsburgh and basically every bolt under the car is seized. I need drill it out and re tap it or use a bolt and nut.

Nice car! KEEP IT STOCK! Honestly with a car that clean and low mileage modding it wouldn't even be worth it. Every last person that mods their Protege (myself included) always ends up reaching the same conclusion that they want something faster, newer, RWD, V8, you name it.

Good Advice. Like i said, im planing to keep stock, just want to replace the parts that are known to wear out easily or are just poorly made.

Back