2014 CX-5 IPOD USB issue could be resolved.....Please Read!!!

Monozub

:
Mazda, CX-5 2014 Touring AWD
Hi everyone, back to IPod USB interface. I was reading forum today and noticed one of the owners complained that charging outlet in the center console was still on after shutting off ignition. I think this is where we have the problem. I never encounter 12V outlet continuously powered. At the same time USB connection being turned off with the engine ignition off. I think if we could turn around and have USB constantly on we wouldn't have problem with IPOD/USB flash playback. In my opinion it's making sense to keep USB port constantly powered and shut off 12V outlet with ignition off. I think there is more danger to drain the battery with constantly powered 12V outlet. 12V power outlet should be on switchable power. And if we would have constant power on USB outlet we wouldn't have problem with starting IPOod or flash drive at the same spot where it was before engine was switched off. Could some one with appropriate background could take a look if we could make this happen. Thanks for reading.

I've said it a few times that I think this is either the problem, or closely related to the problem. I think maybe though that there is something internal to the head unit that may need to have power when the key is off to retain the last played position.
The USB port definitely loses power though, I measured the time to be around 10 seconds after the car is powered off. A memory stick will resume where it left off if the car is turned back on within the 10 second window. If it had constant power, as you said, at least a memory stick would pick up where it left off. The iPod has other compatibility issues beyond the fact that it doesn't resume playback after the car is powered off for more than 10 seconds or so.

As a side note, I was at Mazda the other day and mentioned this issue and they claimed to have never heard of it, but suggested I call Mazda directly. I'm sure that would go as well as when I emailed them and was told it was functioning as designed. Right...

I would more agree with Trey and think that the issue of the USB port losing power is a coincidental symptom, rather than the cause. It's got to be the head unit that loses its track memory when the power is removed. The iPod has a battery to keep its memory and doesn't rely on the USB power.

Yeah I don't think it has anything to do with losing power. I think the issue has to do with what it's doing when it's loading the files on start up. Case in point, when I plug my iPod Video into the USB, it doesn't lose power due to the battery. I can even turn the iPod on and it will be in the spot it was when I turned the car off, but as soon as I start the car back up and it reloads, it goes back to the beginning. So I agree with RedBaron that it's something with the head unit. My theory is it's when it's being turned back on though, not when it's turned off.

I do think that this has to do with the port losing power, as well as a software difference between the 2013 and 2014. Typically the fact that the port loses power shouldn't matter, a la the '13 model. However, I am curious if maintaining power would alleviate the issues that we have with the 14, since you can get it to resume, even with a power off of the head unit, if you are fast enough. If the loss of power had no effect, I would expect that just a restart of the head unit would lose position, but this isn't the case.

I just haven't been motivated enough to figure out how to wire it so that it was a constant 5v on the USB port - at least for testing purposes.

I do think that this has to do with the port losing power, as well as a software difference between the 2013 and 2014. Typically the fact that the port loses power shouldn't matter, a la the '13 model. However, I am curious if maintaining power would alleviate the issues that we have with the 14, since you can get it to resume, even with a power off of the head unit, if you are fast enough. If the loss of power had no effect, I would expect that just a restart of the head unit would lose position, but this isn't the case.

I just haven't been motivated enough to figure out how to wire it so that it was a constant 5v on the USB port - at least for testing purposes.
Both the data lines AND THE POWER to the USB port come from the head unit. Thus, if there's power to the USB port, then there is power to the head unit. It may look 'off' to you, but it isn't really.

I have tested the USB port for power with a meter and it definitely loses all power after the car is shut off for around 10 seconds. A USB stick (NOT an iPod) will resume playback if the car power is turned back on within this 10 second window.
That being said, I don't think a constant power source would help with the playback issue because I think the power loss at the USB is just a 'symptom' of the head unit losing power to the critical part that should be retaining the playback position.

If someone wanted to test this out though, you could take any cigarette lighter to USB charging cord that you don't mind losing and strip it. These cords reduce the power from 12v to 5v. There are 4 wires inside, and the red one is the 5v power source. Tap that to the power source of the car's USB port and plug into the cigarette lighter port beside the USB port. The cigarette port is always powered even with the car off.
By the way, do this at your own risk, I'm not responsible if you mess your car or self up.

The cigarette port is always powered even with the car off.

Really? I've never tried it in my '13 CX-9, but I can say I've never owned a car where the cigarette lighter maintained power when completely off. Sure, it would keep power if the ignition was turned (but engine not started), but if in complete off or out of the ignition, there would be no power.

Really? I've never tried it in my '13 CX-9, but I can say I've never owned a car where the cigarette lighter maintained power when completely off. Sure, it would keep power if the ignition was turned (but engine not started), but if in complete off or out of the ignition, there would be no power.
The FRONT socket has switched power. The middle console socket and rear 'trunk' socket are powered all the time. See my how-to thread: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...-12V-socket-to-Switched-(Accessory)-operation

Back