New CX-5 Navigation Unit

mark ivdx

:
'14 CX-5 GT w/ Tech
Can anyone confirm or deny whether this will be a new Navigation unit available in future CX-5's?

p1.jpg

p1.jpg

p1.jpg

Last edited:
Can anyone confirm or deny whether this will be a new Navigation unit available in future CX-5's?
I don't know but it looks nice.

More importantly, I hope they dump TomTom and run Garmin software.

Not a fan of the buttons on the bottom of the Alpine.
Looks like aftermarket to me. Alpine provides custom dash kits for certain vehicles.
Anyways. FYI, Alpine uses NAVTEQ GPS Maps, the same one Garmin uses.

Yeah this is Japan only.
Here's a Pioneer in a CX-5 directly on Mazda Japan's website:
top_btn_pic_option_01.jpg

I have a two year old Garmin 1395T I think it is, its a 1300 series at any rate, and I find it very poor as a sat nav.
I don't know what the factory Nissan unit is, but it out performs the Garmin.
I've even run them together on a route and always ended up muting the Garmin.

There must be better alternatives available?

I don't know but it looks nice.

More importantly, I hope they dump TomTom and run Garmin software.

There must be better alternatives available?
If it's the 1390T it wouldn't be my first choice either but it would be far better than what we have now with the TomTom. Garmin has a far more complete POI database and better searching.

What GPS do you like better?

Maybe I'm spoiled but for the past 10 years I've been using various iterations of Garmin's multi-purpose chart plotter - mostly on my motorcycle but also in my car. Currently I'm using the 376c. I like the highly detailed and highly configurable map displays and the ability to fully customize three or four main display screens which can be cycled through as needed while driving. You can also turn some of them off if you only want two displays to cycle between. It also allows extensive routing customization according to road type. It allows the operator to input travel speeds for four classes of roads which then affects the routes created when choosing the option "less time" (vs. shortest distance). Customizing these options allows the user to modify the routes chosen. It was marketed as being suitable for aviation, marine navigation, automobile as well as handheld. Of course you need to load maps suitable for the application.

It will also download the most current satellite weather maps, temperature gradients, etc. direct from satellite and super-impose them on the map display. Very helpful for traveling in areas with severe weather. The map displays are not cartoonish- they look like real AAA maps and will show as many or few of the smaller roads that you tell it to. You can chose to display (or not) individually, parks, hospitals, Mountain peaks, churches, exit ramp numbers, etc. the fonts for city names can be adjusted to any size for each city group small, medium or large. Yes, it takes some time and knowledge to customize but then it works how YOU need it to for your application and the types of areas YOU use it. And I really likes that it uses 8 buttons instead of a touch screen, much easier to use while driving or riding (because I know where each button is by feel). On the TomTom the display is always changing so it will often time-out because I'm busy driving and right before I press the on-screen button, the display changes. Are real tactile buttons really that expensive? I never have to touch the screen on my 376c so it doesn't get loaded up with fingerprints.

I agree, a GPS like the 1300 series would be far from ideal but it would be better than what we have. What GPS have you tried that you like better than the 1300 series?

My present Xtrail Nissan factory satnav is good enough for me, but its mapping must be from something like 2007, I could buy a DVD update for around 40, but bought the Garmin instead primarily for walking, rather than spend 3 times more for a dedicated walking satnav. But to show any new roads.

The Nissan comes with a 7" screen on my model year, on the 2013 model that has shrunk, and now become a hard drive unit, but does do post codes which my 2009 model doesn't, so I can't comment on the latest Nissan satnav.

If someone was to ask me what I wanted it would be what I have already, but the ability to take post codes and show speed cameras, and more importantly calculate routes suitable for caravans.

ironically TT do a 5" caravan and lorry satnav at around300, not built in though.

The garmin maps are also like the CX5, poor resolution. And its most irritating in that it gives direction with street names, while I prefer road numbers as shown on a road map.
Its guidance also leaves a lot to be desired, while the Nissan gives more precise directions.

The Nissan also has push buttons, NO on screen touch controls, which I prefer to the TT.

My daughter has a Merc E class were again the screen resolution is even better.

I've only used the TT satnav on one trip a 30 mile route from the dealer to my home and back.
In that time the signal was slow, showing the car position in incorrect positions, missing turn off instructions, showing positions off the road, poor for a 2013 car, along with the low resolution screen, all fitted into a tiny screen, isn't what you expect on a new car, I'll be really pissed if this unit is replaced next year for a proper satnav.

I also have trouble seeing the screen detail, so I'll have to start driving with my reading glasses, something I don't have to do with the Nissans 7" screen.

Nissan has a knob on the radio for volume, on/off, which is separate to the Nav but also shows on the screen if required, along with a six cd player.
Volume controls etc are also on the steering wheel.

I would hate having push button volume control on the head unit.

Last edited:
That Alpine HU looks nice.

Yesterday while driving home my non-nav HU spoke up saying something like "GPS signal is not clear" so I pulled my iphone out my pocket and laid it on the console. It then said something like "stay straight for 1 mile and then turn left" and then said nothing after these two. I have Motion X app on my phone and it must have been running in the background.

I guess I will experiment with this again. I know others stated using this app, but I thought it was in context of trying to find a way to project the map image from the phone to the HU display. It just caught me by surprise as I was driving and almost startled me as in ghost in the machine.

Currently I'm using the 376c.

Now I understand why you gripe about the CX-5's Tomtom. I flew with a 396 years and I'd happily sign up for some of that feature set in my car.

Garmin's automotive specific line is no great improvement on what we've got built in though, in my opinion.

Now I understand why you gripe about the CX-5's Tomtom. I flew with a 396 years and I'd happily sign up for some of that feature set in my car.

Garmin's automotive specific line is no great improvement on what we've got built in though, in my opinion.

That looks like a great unit too.

Sad thing is the primary difference between units like these and Garmin's automotive lines is software (and a few more physical buttons). And Garmin has already developed the software so it would be a simple matter to disable the marine/aviation features and market it as a "professional" automotive unit. Instead, they decide we all want something that can't be customized (presumably because it might confuse us).

they decide we all want something that can't be customized (presumably because it might confuse us).

Well some people are easily confused , I once showed a workman a row of shovels and said take your pick ,he said I cant see any .

Well some people are easily confused , I once showed a workman a row of shovels and said take your pick ,he said I cant see any .

When I was an apprentice I was sent to get a shovel, I found this bloke who looked like he might know, so I ask him if he had a shovel I could borrow.

His reply was "next to that barrawack", not wanting to show my ignorance, I then returned to ask the foreman what a "barrawack" was.

Naturally he just laughed.

I don't get it. Why would you like to replace this HU which supports TomTom for another HU for another navigate system. For me, the best solution is to have a HU android-ready that supports mirror from my android phone. From this, I can leverage my phone for a better navigate experience with Google Maps. With that kind of unit, we would have up-to-date map information and everything that comes with your phone (browser, music, phone, etc.)

Back