Zack Mac's P5

zackmac

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
Hey everybody, this is my 2003 Protege5, daily driver, student budget, and an ongoing project... hope you all enjoy!

http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/ziggitymig/library/protege5
^ that is my photobucket where I upload way more pictures than are in this thread. check it out!

atbugaboo_zps03f42eae.jpg

squeakyclean_zps03713181.jpeg

subs_zps28afc0f8.jpeg

amp_zps45539536.jpeg

headunit_zpsf6ac39aa.jpeg

Here's a list of what I've done (mods) and what I have plans to do at a later date...

Engine/Tuning:
AWR Motor Mounts
K&N typhoon cold air intake + filter
polyurethane shifter bushings
Wrinkle Paint valve cover
Vibrant Vacuum Block
SSAFC V2
AEM Wideband
Ultra lite mechanical boost gauge
Ultra lite electric oil pressure gauge

Exhaust:
SLS hi flow catted mid pipe
racing beat catback

Suspension:
yellowspeed coilovers
awr rear sway bar
awr adjustable rear end links
2002 ford escape front end links

Wheels & Tires:
17x7 +48 ASA AR1 rims (AR17I72BML)
215/45/17 tires

Interior:
Triple (3) A-Pillar Pod
20% Tint
TWM Short Shifter
TWM Spooky Weighted shift knob
TWM Leather Boot w/ Red stitch
Python alarm system
LED Glow Multicolor Interior Lights

Exterior:
DDM 6000k HID Kit Low Beams
DDM 3000k HID Kit Fogs
hella horns supertones (red)
bluebatmobile yellow fog overlays
black out head lights
carbonfiber jdm grill
"evil M"
smoked tail lights (cutout blinkers and reverse)
blacked out side turn signals and running lights
WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors
50mm aluminum antenna

System:
(2x) Alpine SWR-12D2 12" Dual 2 ohm Subwoofer (Type-R)
Atrend 12" Dual Vented Alpine Specific Enclosure
Alpine MRX-M100 Mono Block 1000w amp
Alpine CDE-W235BT Double-Din Head Unit
Alpine KTP-445U "Power Pack"
Alpine SPS-517 5"x7" Front doors (Type-S)
Alpine SPS-610 6.5" Back doors (Type-S)
Alpine SPS-110TW 1" Tweeter (Type-S)
( Here is an old video I made for craigslist...has been outdated, tweaked, and sounds much better currently http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRusFdADh7Q )

To Do:
3" turboback exhaust
Big 3 Ugrade with 0g KnuKonceptz Kolossal Wire
Big Brakes
MSP Lip

Last edited:
Ok now I'll sum up everything I've done to this point.. try to be as brief as possible, but the rest of my work will be ongoing in the thread haha

First off, I miss my MSP! But she's gone now, and I have a beautiful P5..

iphone128_zpsdee3c82d.jpg

iphone127_zpsebbb8348.jpg

iphone130_zpsb1636dfd.jpg

Anyways, here's when I first picked up the P5, this is how she looked..

iphone288_zps7bbb9068.jpg

iphone289_zpsc5cdc24b.jpg

The first thing I did immediately after getting the P5 was put in a sound system.. which is very loud

Here we are after the first winter... picked up steeley rims with snow tires that were much needed

iphone0422_zpsebc44f9d.jpg

Next I picked up some 1/0 Gauge Kolossal wire (pure oxygen free copper no CCA bs) from KnuKnoceptz which I have yet to install..

iphone0252_zps40945c8b.jpg

As soon as (i thought) the snow was done, I got 20% tints done all the way around.. looks nice

iphone0752_zps20cbc445.jpg

Shortly after, I ordered an ebay catback exhaust for $125 plus free shipping and installed it

catbackexhaust_zps2fd7adfa.jpeg

muffler_zpsd3b3c026.jpeg

Did a few things inbetween that I don't have pictures of, nothing too major...

And just last weekend I smoked my tail lights using VHT Night Shades... I want to go a little darker but I am still very happy, I'll fix them over the summer
I used very light coats, i mean VERY light coats.. the 2nd pic is with 4-5...

taillights2_zpsd6579da7.jpeg

Last edited:
If you're heart-set on doing red calipers, please do them well. Red is the most popular color and its so often done poorly. Other than that I'm diggin the pro!

Did a little work last night, used VHT NightShades (what I had left in the can) to smoke my side markers and turn signals, and made my tail lights a lot darker...

smokedturnsignals-sidemarkers_zps7efb38c3.jpeg

finalsmokedtails_zps11b4739c.jpeg

Also, just ordered:
DDM HID kit 6000k H7
DDM HID kit 3000k H3 (Fogs)
with yellow fog overlays from bluebatmobile

hopefully they'll come in by this weekend and I can install them!

Did a little work last night, used VHT NightShades (what I had left in the can) to smoke my side markers and turn signals, and made my tail lights a lot darker...

smokedturnsignals-sidemarkers_zps7efb38c3.jpeg

finalsmokedtails_zps11b4739c.jpeg

Also, just ordered:
DDM HID kit 6000k H7
DDM HID kit 3000k H3 (Fogs)
with yellow fog overlays from bluebatmobile

hopefully they'll come in by this weekend and I can install them!

I put in my 10000k low beam kit, thinking about ordering the 3000k fogs myself, mind putting pics and a small little tut when you do it?:) would be much appreciated!

Ok, so the fogs deemed out to be... a b****.
First of all, each fog light had a screw snapped (and still stuck inside) from whoever had the car before me. This meant each reflector part was only held in at one side..
After that, i realized that the h3 bulbs would require modification.
What I ended up doing was drilling out a hole in the back of the fog light housing (black part for stock) and the end of the H3 bulb from the DDM kit stuck out of the back with the rubber part fitting nicely, but the lower 'stock' hole was still exposed.
After that, It started to rain (Again) and I needed to find a quick spot for the ballast.. ended up zip tying it just beneath the front bumper so it wont fall down and sag... need to fix that later.
I decided I need to buy new fog lights entirely, so if yall have any suggestions that would be nice.

Anyways, here they are with 6000k lows and 3000k fogs... no yellow overlay for fogs yet

hid3_zps978eca3f.jpeg

hid1_zpsbdfcdd14.jpeg

hid2_zps63455703.jpeg

Think you could upload a sound bit of the ebay exhaust? I want to hear what they sound like.

Ok now I'll sum up everything I've done to this point.. try to be as brief as possible, but the rest of my work will be ongoing in the thread haha

First off, I miss my MSP! But she's gone now, and I have a beautiful P5..

iphone128_zpsdee3c82d.jpg

iphone127_zpsebbb8348.jpg

iphone130_zpsb1636dfd.jpg

Anyways, here's when I first picked up the P5, this is how she looked..

iphone288_zps7bbb9068.jpg

iphone289_zpsc5cdc24b.jpg

The first thing I did immediately after getting the P5 was put in a sound system.. which is very loud
We were tailgating before Mayhem Fest last year and my car was the "boom box" for the whole lot, giant crowd gathered in the background

iphone330_zpsdec89656.jpg

Here we are after the first winter... picked up steeley rims with snow tires that were much needed

iphone0422_zpsebc44f9d.jpg

Next I picked up some 1/0 Gauge Kolossal wire (pure oxygen free copper no CCA bs) from KnuKnoceptz which I have yet to install..

iphone0252_zps40945c8b.jpg

As soon as (i thought) the snow was done, I got 20% tints done all the way around.. looks nice

iphone0752_zps20cbc445.jpg

Shortly after, I ordered an ebay catback exhaust for $125 plus free shipping and installed it

catbackexhaust_zps2fd7adfa.jpeg

muffler_zpsd3b3c026.jpeg

Did a few things inbetween that I don't have pictures of, nothing too major...

And just last weekend I smoked my tail lights using VHT Night Shades... I want to go a little darker but I am still very happy, I'll fix them over the summer
I used very light coats, i mean VERY light coats.. the first pic is with 2 and the 2nd pic is with 4-5... i did 2 more after the pic and put them on (See the first post) but these were VERY light coats

taillights1_zpsa6eaa46d.jpg

taillights2_zpsd6579da7.jpeg

Can you link me to the seller you got exhaust from?

today I installed the TWM short shifter and polyurethane bushings...
it was easier than I assumed and was a real good process, ill post pics of it once I get a new shift knob

the PITA part...
I tried installing the twm spacers for the heat shield over the resonator beneath the car..
the 10mm bolts were destroyed... the female part broke off on the inside and I couldn't unscrew the bolt, nor would they ever go back in.. my pipe is aftermarket and wider than stock so that was already an issue with the spacers..

solution? took a sawzall and cut off the heat shield, so now there isn't one to get in the way!
hopefully I don't burst into flames..

Don't worry, when I installed my TWM short shifter, I too had to hack away at the heatshield... same problem.

Today I did some more plasti dipping. did the front Mazda emblem on grill, rear valence, and hatch key strip. I really need to paint the ugly bumper pad black.

image_zps3e797386.jpg

image_zps2f435a9e.jpg

the more I look at it the more I dread making my tail lights darker for the third time (cutting the circles is so slow)

I also bought used tokico blue struts and racing beat MSP springs along with a rear sway bar, installing once they come in the mail

Last edited:
First update in a little while
Going to be putting in some work finally :)

Coming my way are yellow speed coilovers, sls midpipe with high flow cat and an obx header!

in the meantime, decided to finally get around to the headlight blackout.... its drying now so i will reassemble in the morning

Here they are just after the second coat, i might to another light one when they dry in the morning but idk yet
housingpaintedflash_zps4730e3ad.jpeg

decided to go with a semi gloss black
headlightblackoutpaint_zps307253d5.jpeg

edit: put it back together this morning. overall I think it looks good, it'll look even better when i get another 3M headlight restoration kit (did it a few months ago but where the eyelid bra used to be the residue is just barely coming back)

headlightblackouton_zpsa7ba452a.jpeg

headlightblackoutoff_zps79fca395.jpeg

updates coming when i get around to doing suspension and exhaust!

Last edited:
3M headlight restoration is really good for really bad headlights. For my P5 I recently used the Mother's headlight restoration with the ball, and it worked wonderfully. Since yours is a "touch-up" I recommend trying it out, it;s about the same price at O'Reilly's at least.

3M headlight restoration is really good for really bad headlights. For my P5 I recently used the Mother's headlight restoration with the ball, and it worked wonderfully. Since yours is a "touch-up" I recommend trying it out, it;s about the same price at O'Reilly's at least.

that sounds great, it really is just a touch up as long as i dont let it sit to long!

today my bluebatmobile fog overlays came in, couldnt be happier! i still need to blow dry out the creases and bubbles and let em bake, this pic theyre still looking crusty
also now with my carbon fiber jdm grill and autoexe replica fiberglass lip... lip came malformed near the passenger bottom grill but what can ya do.. i want to paint the top part (above the line) same red as car.. any way i can get this paint and do it myself? I just painted it high gloss black for now.

p5frontrice1_zps0958934f.jpg

yellowspeed coilovers shipped along with sls midpipe
still waiting on header and sway bar with endlinks before i install them hopefully next weekend!
major changes coming soon :D

Something like this? Maybe a little more matched, but same idea, right?

poss.jpg

yes, exactly like that!

i also just placed an order for hella horns that will sound and look nice! no more granny horn haha

I want to get a mesh lower grill insert but I don't know anywhere to find one! I dont want the oem one I need a mesh like is in my grill

update on build: just waiting on obx header and awr rear sway bar to arrive before i install coilovers and midpipe!!!

Latest posts

Back