Trading my Mazda CX-5 for a 2014 Subaru Forester XT

I had it since yesterday, no rattles or mirror vibrating. No problems with bluetooth. I'm taking it back today to sign papers. My 2013 cx-5 was one of the first ones that was built.
The lesson here was: never buy a car on it's first generation.

Thanks again folks!

I had it since yesterday, no rattles or mirror vibrating. No problems with bluetooth. I'm taking it back today to sign papers. My 2013 cx-5 was one of the first ones that was built.

Thanks again folks!
How does the power difference feel from the 2.0? I think the 2.5 is quite zippy, but then again, I'm not trying to win any races. It is a ton of fun to let it fly once in a while though, especially on the back roads. I've been driving for 30 years and it has been a long time since I've felt like driving was fun, but this car is freaking FUN to drive! zoom-zoom!

Thanks again folks!

Isn't the new Forester XT also a first of it's generation as well?

How does the power difference feel from the 2.0? I think the 2.5 is quite zippy, but then again, I'm not trying to win any races. It is a ton of fun to let it fly once in a while though, especially on the back roads. I've been driving for 30 years and it has been a long time since I've felt like driving was fun, but this car is freaking FUN to drive! zoom-zoom!
You can see the difference specially going up little hills, it's not a huge difference but IMO worth the upgrade.

I knew you would come around :D you made the right choice, that's why I wondered in the beginning why you wouldn't just go for the 2014 CX-5, at least you will not be sacrificing style! good luck dude and like you said in NC you're never going to need AWD.

The CX-5 is a complete new design from the ground up. 1st SkyActiv car from ground up. That's why I waited 1 year & for a larger engine as I didn't even bother test driving the 2.0 as I knew it would be too slow for my lead foot.
Looks like they improved on the 1st year production run, so I'm going to stick not buying 1st year production cars.
A refresh isn't as bad since the chassis & drivetrain are improved, not completely redesigned.

The CX-5 is a complete new design from the ground up. 1st SkyActiv car from ground up. That's why I waited 1 year & for a larger engine as I didn't even bother test driving the 2.0 as I knew it would be too slow for my lead foot.
Looks like they improved on the 1st year production run, so I'm going to stick not buying 1st year production cars.
A refresh isn't as bad since the chassis & drivetrain are improved, not completely redesigned.

Totally agree with MATR6!

Being an owner of Subaru of 12 years, I would say subaru makes great solid car. We were debating between a forester and a cx-5 before, I ended trading gas mileage for power since it's a family car and my wife will be the main driver, thus the forester has less features at that time and I like the look of CX-5 more.
You will be happy with a subaru!

Carlos, not all 2013's have the issues you had ;) my 2.0 has plenty of power to do what I bought it to do. I'm not looking to accelerate hard on lights and race cars next to me or do 90 on the highway weaving in and out of traffic, although I do find myself going 80 at times and don't even feel like I'm going that fast. Remember this is a CUV not a sports car. Got near 9,000 miles now 0 rattles, the mirror does not shake violently like others have reported and the hood is just like any other hood on cars I've owned.

Yup...That lesson was painful for me. ..

Thanks again folks!

Carlos, not all 2013's have the issues you had ;) my 2.0 has plenty of power to do what I bought it to do. I'm not looking to accelerate hard on lights and race cars next to me or do 90 on the highway weaving in and out of traffic, although I do find myself going 80 at times and don't even feel like I'm going that fast. Remember this is a CUV not a sports car. Got near 9,000 miles now 0 rattles, the mirror does not shake violently like others have reported and the hood is just like any other hood on cars I've owned.

It's not as bad when you drive around town but when we go on a long trip the car feels really heavy and engine becomes really busy when passing others or going up on highway hills. We are a family of 5 including a 60 pound dog and go on trips often and really need it a little more power. I'm 6'1 and weight 220 pounds...Maybe I need to lose weight lol!

Wow full house! :D ok the 2.5 is definitely for you. Maybe if I bring my 50 gallon fishtank on long trips I'd feel your pain (lol2) in any case I hope you're happier with the 2014 CX-5.

:) you're right, we get major snowfall like once every 5-6 years. Yeah, you guys get bombarded up north. How did the CX-5 handle all that stuff? I ask cause I drove in the snow maybe like twice this year with stock tires and it handled itself very very well. I felt safe.

I'd like to know where in NJ you are where we only get major snow every 5-6 years. I had over 75 inches in 2 of the last 3 years!

Yeah, in total for the year. I'm in East Brunswick the biggest storm we got this year we saw what? 15 inches? and it's cleaned up in a day or 2. The guys in some parts of Canada get that and more on a weekly basis. There's no way you saw 75 inches this year, 2010-11 we had a lot of snow but still. Unless you're in Northern NJ there's no way you saw 75 this year.

I said 2 of the last 3 years, this year I had over 30 inches most of which came in 2 major storms, the one right after sandy and the major HECS storm in late winter. We have quite the microclimate on the hills in Holmdel NJ, and our little area of just under 400 feet of elevation causes a few more inches than anywhere else in the area. You can read about it in the nycmetroweather.com forums. We also average over 2.5 feet of snow a winter, which is far from a mild winter.

Over the last 4 years we have had 2 winters where we had more snow than the average Anchorage Alaska gets in a year, or twice as much as Annete Ak. An AWD car has real value anywhere where there are Nor'easters like this possible. Is it as valuable as it would be in Canada? No, but saying we get snow every 5-6 years is incorrect.

I actually did not know that, good info. But NJ is a huge state, maybe I should have been more specific and said here in Central Jersey or Upper CJ instead. I have no problems with AWD my other truck is AWD as well, just living where we are I would have rather got FWD and spent the extra on snow tires since we don't see crazy numbers so often.

FWIW - I really like the 2.0 in 6MT -its plenty fast in the turns. Not bad even when loaded up with two kids + wife + stuff - with them I have to drive slow as it is.
The mpg speaks for itself - avg ~31
Zero rattles or shakes - waiting to see if they happen.

FWIW - I really like the 2.0 in 6MT -its plenty fast in the turns. Not bad even when loaded up with two kids + wife + stuff - with them I have to drive slow as it is.
The mpg speaks for itself - avg ~31
Zero rattles or shakes - waiting to see if they happen.

same here, 31mpg ave, the mirror was not that bad but none of my other cars did that so I got it fixed, is under warranty anyways so who cares. I am happy with the mpg and performance of the 6mt 2.0, I think is just the right balance for what it is. I'm still faster than prius and corners faster than all CUVs and minivans :)

7k in about 4 month, no issue.

not sure about the new Subi 2.0 and 2.5, I think they finally changed to chains so no more belts to replace every 10/100k or less. they are very robust cars, one of my friend has 280K but those boxer 4 are leakers, most subi guys knows.

I don't know how hard you push there is no way Forester corners/handles better than CX5, I really pushed the CX5 with the tires sqeeling with 3 passengers during my 2 test drives, the dealer told me to push it so I did. I was trying to get it on 3 wheels :)

Yeah, in total for the year. I'm in East Brunswick the biggest storm we got this year we saw what? 15 inches? and it's cleaned up in a day or 2. The guys in some parts of Canada get that and more on a weekly basis. There's no way you saw 75 inches this year, 2010-11 we had a lot of snow but still. Unless you're in Northern NJ there's no way you saw 75 this year.

75 inches of snow in a season is nothing. The ski area to which I've driven my CX-5 over 50 times this season AVERAGES 701 inches per season and we are already slightly above the average even though the season is not over. That's over 58 FEET of cumulative snowfall! This article has a recent photo of the snow beside the parking lot:

http://unofficialnetworks.com/mt-baker-surpassed-annual-average-snowfall-85394/

Going from sea level to the 4000 foot parking lot during a storm cycle almost always entails going through everything from rain to slush to fresh wet snow to fresh dry snow on ice and everything in between. Sometimes it seems like the storm cycles never end, one after another. And I can happily report, the CX-5 handled it all like child's play all while averaging more than 31 MPG through the winter. That saved me tons of $$ on fuel and got me to the mountain feeling relaxed and ready to rip up the fresh powder.

Back