How can I get the back seats to fold down flat?

Are you sure? They do on the US version.

On my GT, the seats will fold down to horizontal, but they don't fold flat with the rear cargo area like they imply in that video. It's kind of annoying when pushing stuff in from the back, there is probably a 1 to 1.5 inch ledge I have to get over at the transition, so I have to go around to the side door and lift stuff up over that ledge. Is that everyone else's experience? I've been considering putting a plywood platform in the cargo area just to get the height up so that everything is level when I go to load up.

I just remove the rear headrests. The rear seats lay flat no matter what position the front seats are in.

On my GT, the seats will fold down to horizontal, but they don't fold flat with the rear cargo area like they imply in that video. It's kind of annoying when pushing stuff in from the back, there is probably a 1 to 1.5 inch ledge I have to get over at the transition, so I have to go around to the side door and lift stuff up over that ledge. Is that everyone else's experience? I've been considering putting a plywood platform in the cargo area just to get the height up so that everything is level when I go to load up.

I encountered the same thing in my Touring, even when the seats are folded "flat", there is a small hump where you have to go and lift whatever you're carrying over it. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if that's the design...

Thank you so much for all of this information. I have just moved and I have so much to buy but can't put it in the back seat. Now I will have more room. Appreciate all the photos also. Great Job!

I agree, even on GT the rear seat back can't fold as flat as the video suggested!

$7000+ difference in packaging don't just pay for a few gadgets...

My base 2006 Escape XLS has fold-flat seats. The fold-flat seats are a utility feature rather than a luxury feature, a normal expectation in a utility-type vehicle such as a crossover or SUV.
Heated seats, leather, premium sound, privacy glass, and so forth, I could see, but diminishing the functional utility and cargo capacity?

Last edited:
Back