How can I get the back seats to fold down flat?

Kelseyx

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport AWD- liquid Silver
I have found that the storage in the back is useless because the back seats do not lay flat. Why would Mazda make it this way; and how can i get them to go flat when folded down? Thanks everyone!

Useless? That's a bit harsh. It may be less than ideal, but if you're not trying to sleep back there, what's the big deal?

Useless? That's a bit harsh. It may be less than ideal, but if you're not trying to sleep back there, what's the big deal?

If the seat is down and anything is set on it it falls or slides down. There is nothing that can be placed on an angled seat that will stay upright. Useless may be harsh and that wasn't my intent. It was a word that was descriptive to what "I" need to use it for.

mine go pretty much flat once you pull the headrests off, any weight on them makes them go almost entirely flat, waht are you trying to do?

mine go pretty much flat once you pull the headrests off, any weight on them makes them go almost entirely flat, waht are you trying to do?

I need to put a wheel chair on occasion and because the seat doesn't lay flat, it rubs on the ceiling. Also, i need set boxes for work, but they slide off and back. I am not able to set anything on them to reach from the front because it all slides down the seat.Thanks

I need to put a wheel chair on occasion and because the seat doesn't lay flat, it rubs on the ceiling. Also, i need set boxes for work, but they slide off and back. I am not able to set anything on them to reach from the front because it all slides down the seat.Thanks

weird, mine lie flat enough that nothing but the lightest things might possibly slide

Do you have the sport model? They put different seats in it they do not lay flat like the touring models do. You can remove the lower seat and they do, but its a pain and requires tools to do.

Do you have the sport model? They put different seats in it they do not lay flat like the touring models do. You can remove the lower seat and they do, but its a pain and requires tools to do.
That would explain it, the OP is listed as a Sport model. The bottom seat cushion in our GT moves forward and drops a small amount.

That would explain it, the OP is listed as a Sport model. The bottom seat cushion in our GT moves forward and drops a small amount.
MythbustersJamieHyneman.jpg

well there's your problem

Kelseyx;

Also own the (Base) Sport Model, and since I didn't need a back seat (just me and wife, now-a-days), I wanted the extra (usable) storage space, by getting the rear seats to lay flat. The rear seat cushion is easy to remove, .... just four bolts. (put the bolts back in place, after removing the seat cushion, so you don't lose them.) After that, you will find that the seats will still not be perfectly flat, as they will fold "too far down". I fixed this by putting two pieces of square PVC fence columns that I had lying around. (see pic), Doing this also provided some extra storage space for various things. (tool box, cleaning materials, etc... ) I put the seat cushion and rear head-rests in some plastic bags, and stored them in the house. (so, when I eventually trade the vehicle in, the rear seat will be in perfect, un-used condition )
One warning.... the carpet that is on the back of the rear seats is pretty flimsy, (thin), so I put some indoor-outdoor carpet over the whole area.... and then purchased the OEM cargo area rubber mat, for the back portion. (that OEM cargo mat is very well built.... thick and substantial )

Oh, I see it depends on the model. Actually, that's another reason I went with the CX-5 over other behicles (like Rogue) because the seats do fold down almost completely flat. With what I haul (dogs and bikes) the 'flat' fold down was an attractive feature. I did check all of that before buying the vehicle I decided on though.

CaribouManiac,

Thank you VERY much for your time writing how you did this as well as taking the time to upload pictures. Look how much more useable space there is! Great job:)

Kelseyx;

Also own the (Base) Sport Model, and since I didn't need a back seat (just me and wife, now-a-days), I wanted the extra (usable) storage space, by getting the rear seats to lay flat. The rear seat cushion is easy to remove, .... just four bolts. (put the bolts back in place, after removing the seat cushion, so you don't lose them.) After that, you will find that the seats will still not be perfectly flat, as they will fold "too far down". I fixed this by putting two pieces of square PVC fence columns that I had lying around. (see pic), Doing this also provided some extra storage space for various things. (tool box, cleaning materials, etc... ) I put the seat cushion and rear head-rests in some plastic bags, and stored them in the house. (so, when I eventually trade the vehicle in, the rear seat will be in perfect, un-used condition )
One warning.... the carpet that is on the back of the rear seats is pretty flimsy, (thin), so I put some indoor-outdoor carpet over the whole area.... and then purchased the OEM cargo area rubber mat, for the back portion. (that OEM cargo mat is very well built.... thick and substantial )

Thank you EVERYONE! It is amazing that there are such suttle differences that make a big difference for some in each vehicle. Thanks again.

The seats will lay fat but if the front seats are positioned all the way to the rear and tilted the head rest will hit them preventing a flat fold.

I want to remove the rear seat cushion to fix a creak that's developed (I think due to booster seat placement.) For anyone who's removed them, is it just the four bolts in the front that need to be removed? What secures the cushion in the back?

I folded the seats down and could see the hinge for the seat, but it looks to me that is only for the upper part, I just need to remove the lower cushion.

Kelseyx, for reference, do you mind taking pics and show us what your rear seats look like when folded down?

I had no idea that the folding of the seats would be different in the sport model vs the touring or grand touring.

Back