Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can I get the back seats to fold down flat?

Registered Member

2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport AWD- liquid Silver

Angry How can I get the back seats to fold down flat?

I have found that the storage in the back is useless because the back seats do not lay flat. Why would Mazda make it this way; and how can i get them to go flat when folded down? Thanks everyone!

Registered Member

2013 CX-5 Touring FWD; 2013 BMW Z4 35i

Items For Sale
    Useless? That's a bit harsh. It may be less than ideal, but if you're not trying to sleep back there, what's the big deal?

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 Sport Manual

I found this online doing my pre-purchase shopping:

http://www.mazda.co.uk/videos/techno...eating-system/

Apparently that feature was too expensive to make it into the production model because my seats don't do this.

Registered Member

2013 CX-5 Touring FWD; 2013 BMW Z4 35i

Items For Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by NEWireless View Post
    I found this online doing my pre-purchase shopping:

http://www.mazda.co.uk/videos/techno...eating-system/

Apparently that feature was too expensive to make it into the production model because my seats don't do this.
    Are you sure? They do on the US version.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by paris1 View Post
    Useless? That's a bit harsh. It may be less than ideal, but if you're not trying to sleep back there, what's the big deal?
    If the seat is down and anything is set on it it falls or slides down. There is nothing that can be placed on an angled seat that will stay upright. Useless may be harsh and that wasn't my intent. It was a word that was descriptive to what "I" need to use it for.

Mazda CX-5 Touring w/bose-tech

mine go pretty much flat once you pull the headrests off, any weight on them makes them go almost entirely flat, waht are you trying to do?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by stromdriver View Post
    mine go pretty much flat once you pull the headrests off, any weight on them makes them go almost entirely flat, waht are you trying to do?
    I need to put a wheel chair on occasion and because the seat doesn't lay flat, it rubs on the ceiling. Also, i need set boxes for work, but they slide off and back. I am not able to set anything on them to reach from the front because it all slides down the seat.Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kelseyx View Post
    I need to put a wheel chair on occasion and because the seat doesn't lay flat, it rubs on the ceiling. Also, i need set boxes for work, but they slide off and back. I am not able to set anything on them to reach from the front because it all slides down the seat.Thanks
    weird, mine lie flat enough that nothing but the lightest things might possibly slide

Registered Member

CX-5

Do you have the sport model? They put different seats in it they do not lay flat like the touring models do. You can remove the lower seat and they do, but its a pain and requires tools to do.

2009 Jaguar XF

My seats also fold completely flat, like in that movie.
    EU model.

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 GT & 3 i Touring

Quote Originally Posted by Lonerider View Post
    Do you have the sport model? They put different seats in it they do not lay flat like the touring models do. You can remove the lower seat and they do, but its a pain and requires tools to do.
    That would explain it, the OP is listed as a Sport model. The bottom seat cushion in our GT moves forward and drops a small amount.

Quote Originally Posted by CXVille View Post
    That would explain it, the OP is listed as a Sport model. The bottom seat cushion in our GT moves forward and drops a small amount.

well there's your problem

Registered Member CaribouMainiac's Avatar

2013 CX-5 Sport-manual

Kelseyx;

Also own the (Base) Sport Model, and since I didn't need a back seat (just me and wife, now-a-days), I wanted the extra (usable) storage space, by getting the rear seats to lay flat. The rear seat cushion is easy to remove, .... just four bolts. (put the bolts back in place, after removing the seat cushion, so you don't lose them.) After that, you will find that the seats will still not be perfectly flat, as they will fold "too far down". I fixed this by putting two pieces of square PVC fence columns that I had lying around. (see pic), Doing this also provided some extra storage space for various things. (tool box, cleaning materials, etc... ) I put the seat cushion and rear head-rests in some plastic bags, and stored them in the house. (so, when I eventually trade the vehicle in, the rear seat will be in perfect, un-used condition )
    One warning.... the carpet that is on the back of the rear seats is pretty flimsy, (thin), so I put some indoor-outdoor carpet over the whole area.... and then purchased the OEM cargo area rubber mat, for the back portion. (that OEM cargo mat is very well built.... thick and substantial )

Mazda, CX-5 Grand Touring

Oh, I see it depends on the model. Actually, that's another reason I went with the CX-5 over other behicles (like Rogue) because the seats do fold down almost completely flat. With what I haul (dogs and bikes) the 'flat' fold down was an attractive feature. I did check all of that before buying the vehicle I decided on though.

Registered Member

CaribouManiac,

Thank you VERY much for your time writing how you did this as well as taking the time to upload pictures. Look how much more useable space there is! Great job:-)

Quote Originally Posted by CaribouMainiac View Post
    Kelseyx;

Also own the (Base) Sport Model, and since I didn't need a back seat (just me and wife, now-a-days), I wanted the extra (usable) storage space, by getting the rear seats to lay flat. The rear seat cushion is easy to remove, .... just four bolts. (put the bolts back in place, after removing the seat cushion, so you don't lose them.) After that, you will find that the seats will still not be perfectly flat, as they will fold "too far down". I fixed this by putting two pieces of square PVC fence columns that I had lying around. (see pic), Doing this also provided some extra storage space for various things. (tool box, cleaning materials, etc... ) I put the seat cushion and rear head-rests in some plastic bags, and stored them in the house. (so, when I eventually trade the vehicle in, the rear seat will be in perfect, un-used condition )
    One warning.... the carpet that is on the back of the rear seats is pretty flimsy, (thin), so I put some indoor-outdoor carpet over the whole area.... and then purchased the OEM cargo area rubber mat, for the back portion. (that OEM cargo mat is very well built.... thick and substantial )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast