SkyActiv Engine Oil Requirements

Switched to Royal Purple 0W-20 oil on last change and OEM Mazda filter. We'll see how it last at 10-12k.

Hey folks.

I just got my newest Mazda, a 2015 6 Touring, gas engine. First SkyActiv vehicle. I've used Mobil or Castrol full synthetic oil for years, and high performance filters when available.

Question: I've gone easy on the new guy and he's at 700 miles; can I change the oil now? I'm fussy about maintenance, but every vehicle I've owned since 1974 has hit 100K at a minimum with zero engine issues.

I just wonder should I wait to 1000 miles to change oil? I'd like to get any break-in related trash out ASAP.

That is the question only you can answer Ninja. I waited until 9600 for my first oil change. Change every 10-12k with fully synthetic and currently have 39k on it and doesn't use a drop of oil. I personally wouldn't waste my $$ changing oil at only 1k. They come from factory with synthetic oil, so why waste the $$ or oil and change it so soon? Just my 2 cents

A bit of advice: While under warranty you must change your oil every 7500 miles or 6 months to maintain the Mazda powertrain warranty. After 60K miles do whatever you like. :)

My dealer offered me an unlimited powertrain warranty as part of the car (no charge) so I will be changing mine every 6mo or 7500mi to maintain it with full documentation.

A bit of advice: While under warranty you must change your oil every 7500 miles or 6 months to maintain the Mazda powertrain warranty. After 60K miles do whatever you like. :)

My dealer offered me an unlimited powertrain warranty as part of the car (no charge) so I will be changing mine every 6mo or 7500mi to maintain it with full documentation.

That would depend which Schedule you are following?
Mazda Maintenance Passport: First visit Schedule 1 - 7.5K miles (6 months) or Schedule 2 - 5k miles (4 months) | Second visit Schedule 1 - 15K miles (12 months) or Schedule 2 - 10K (8 months)
Owner's Manual: First oil change Flexible Maintenance Schedule 1 - 10K miles (12 months) or Fixed Maintenance - 7.5K miles (6 months) or Schedule 2 - 5k miles (4 months)
* Schedule 1 = normal freeway/highway commute driving
* Schedule 2 = severe driving conditions

As for me, I followed Schedule 1 @ 7.5K miles with OEM filter and Castrol 0W-20 Syn oil. Second oil change will be @ 19.5K miles or 12K miles later.

That would depend which Schedule you are following?
Mazda Maintenance Passport: First visit Schedule 1 - 7.5K miles (6 months) or Schedule 2 - 5k miles (4 months) | Second visit Schedule 1 - 15K miles (12 months) or Schedule 2 - 10K (8 months)
Owner's Manual: First oil change Flexible Maintenance Schedule 1 - 10K miles (12 months) or Fixed Maintenance - 7.5K miles (6 months) or Schedule 2 - 5k miles (4 months)
* Schedule 1 = normal freeway/highway commute driving
* Schedule 2 = severe driving conditions

As for me, I followed Schedule 1 @ 7.5K miles with OEM filter and Castrol 0W-20 Syn oil. Second oil change will be @ 19.5K miles or 12K miles later.

The 2014 Mazda6 owner's manual(at least mine) doesn't have a "flexible" schedule, only the fixed, of which the schedule 1 is 7500 miles or 6 months.

Back