SkyActiv Engine Oil Requirements

After about $50 worth of oil and filter, ready for the first oil change on the M6.
Before you use your own oil and filter you might call your dealer. I was under the impression that all dealers provided the first oil change free of charge.

Free first oil change? Not in northern NJ. Also, the drain plug takes an 8mm allen wrench.

Mike, Where did you get the info on the Mazda Skyactive filter being a special high flow?I used the Mobil 1 M1-108 filter on my 2011 Mazda2 I traded for my 2014 Mazda6. The Mobil 1 online parts catalog listed the M1-102 as the EP filter for the 2014 Mazda6,so I had the good people at my AutoZone store trade my extra M1-108 filters for the M1-102s.The M1-102 is the one I use in my 2009 MX-5 Miata,so I thought it would be great to have the same filter on each car.WRONG!! Today, I was going to change my oil in the Mazda6 for the first time,and I saw the Mazda filter(PE10-14-302) is much smaller than the Mobil 1 M1-102.Looking at the Mobil 1 online catalog again,I see for a 2014 Mazda CX5,it shows the standard filter as the MO4612(same as the standard for the Mazda6),and the EP filter as the M1-108(same as my Mazda2),not the M1-102 as the Mazda6.It would appear the EP filter for both the CX5 and Mazda6 should be the M1-108(like the Mazda2).I was going to ask AutoZone to exchange the M1-102s back for the original M1-108s,but now I wonder if the M1-108(used on my Mazda2),meets Mazda's high flow specs,since they say not to use the Mazda filter for the Mazda2 on the Mazda6.

Mike, Where did you get the info on the Mazda Skyactive filter being a special high flow?

I think I found it on this site in the Mazda 3 forum (but I can't seem to find it again).

In any case, the fact that Mazda issued a new filter for the Sky-activ engines shows they have different requirements.

Thanks,Mike. I ran all this by the Mobil1 people a week ago.They were going to check on it and call me back,but haven't yet.Meanwhile, I used a dealer coupon($5 off $15-$50 spent) to buy 2 off the Skyactiv filters. Jim

Anyone determine the amount of oil needed? In the spec is says 4.8 qt with filter change. 4.5 qt without. I put in about 4.4 qt and looking at the dip stick, I'm getting some funky reading. One side is a bit dry while the other shows oil well above the second hole. I replace the oil filter so i'm not exactly sure why my reading is funky depending on the side of the stick. One side shows oil just right above the first hole while the other shows oil well above the second hole on the stick. WTF? I did it several times with engine warmed up to temp and waiting 5 minutes as well. Did I over fill the oil or under fill?

Last edited:
UPDATE, called and talked to two separate dealership service tech's and they both said to read the lower one as the other side has residual from the dip stick tube.

I just bought the filter from the dealer. Auto parts store did not have filter socket to fit the filter. Anyone know what size and where get one or if the filter pliers will work. I have not been under the car yet to check. Also, filter was almost $9 at dealer and $1.60 for washer. What is best website to buy the filters.

Thanks, Ron

Western Pa

oilchangekits.com has the oil and filter for $50 shipped. Great price on good stuff - I plan to run all OE Oil and filters on my skyactiv.

Definitely want to run an OEM filter with all Skyactiv engines, Mazda has a unique filter just for them and an aftermarket fram or other will not have the correct pressure valve or be designed to work like the Mazda filter.

Just changed the oil. Not hard at all. Used mazda filter and Mobil 1 0w-20. $25 for 5 quart jug at wally world. Had to by the allen wrench for the drain plug and wrench for the filter. Had a lttle difficulty getting the push pin out to remove the panel filter panel. I like the engine protection afforded the plastic undercarriage panel. I may consider one of the fumoto drain valve since it is protected by the panel.

I did not change the washer although I have one. Dealer did first oil change and did not change the washer..it had black paint on it and the one I bought from dealer did not.

Car started ok in - 9 weather. A little slow to crank but that was probably due to cold battery.

Ron

That is perfectly normal. Over time you may get a little fuel dilution that could even raise the engine oil amount slightly. Maybe check it in 500 miles and see how full it is. I'm looking forward to changing mine.

An interesting note....the manual reads that Castrol oils are recommended outside of Mazda. However, Castrol does not make a 0W-20, so I substituted 5W-20 per a Mazda tech at local dealership. I took it to dealer the first oil change at 9500 miles and just assumed it would get synthetic oil. WRONG. I asked them afterwards and they said they just use generic 0W-20. Boy was I pissed. Spent $58 for tire rotation and junk partial synthetic oil. I have been doing oil changes with Castrol 5W-20 and Mazda oil filter. Have 24k on it without a hiccup so far...hopefully it will last another 200k

Took my car in for it's first oil change and they used Castrol Edge 0/20 synthetic. It does say that it is only available to dealerships, so I don't know if they'd sell it to you or if you can only get it as part of an oil change.

Confirming my dealer also uses Castrol EDGE synthetic 0W-20, which is a full synthetic (I've read the MSDS on this and it does use a base synthetic stock and premium additives). They told me it was too expensive to stock the Mazda Moly oil in bulk. You can buy this (Castrol 0W-20) off the shelf too though, I've seen it in black quart bottles at the local parts store just recently (I believe the 0W-20 in quart containers was just made available in the US in January 2014). Castrol also markets an extended performance EDGE oil (15K change intervals) containing a titanium molecule in a gold bottle, which is their top oil, but this is not used by dealerships due to cost. The owners manual even mentions Castrol oil products in places, so I'm sure it's fine for most drivers. The cost was right for me, FREE oil changes for first three years from dealer, the EDGE oil and Mazda oil filter. I'll see where the 0W-20 market is at after three years when I start doing my own changes again.

The Edge oil (this is basically the old Castrol Syntec rebranded and reformulated) has tested well in low temp startup environments like we have in the upper midwest (good flow rates). I would imagine this oil is similar to Mobil One's main product offering available at Sams, Costco, etc.

Rampage

Last edited:
I would NOT use that filter on my Skyactiv engine. Mazda has specified a new high-flow filter and yet Fram is still cross-referencing their old design. Wix, on the other hand has released a new filter (#57002). But the OEM Mazda filter is very high quality and reasonably priced.

190476d1353091300-only-use-genuine-mazda-oil-filters-series-2-r3-jpg

Hi bro, any official document or bulletin from mazda to support this? Because Malaysia is still using the B6Y1 oil filter instead of skyactiv PE01 oil filter.

Mazda Skyactiv High Flow oil filter

I would NOT use that filter on my Skyactiv engine. Mazda has specified a new high-flow filter and yet Fram is still cross-referencing their old design. Wix, on the other hand has released a new filter (#57002). But the OEM Mazda filter is very high quality and reasonably priced.

190476d1353091300-only-use-genuine-mazda-oil-filters-series-2-r3-jpg

Hi MikeM,

Can you please send me the link for the indications that Skyactiv engine has own Mazda High flow (PE01) oil filter instead of normal Mazda filter (B6Y1) ?
Appreciated that. Thank you.
Eddie.

Back