SkyActiv Engine Oil Requirements

If 0w is required (I don't know if it is), then, it has to be full-synthetic or partial.
There is no dyno oil with 0w.

Even in my Skyactiv 3, the oil requirement is 0w20 full synthetic. I couldn't imagine the 2.5L being any different since it is a similar engine, but larger.

Mazda has two 0W20 synthetic oils. Non Skyactiv engines use the normal 0W20-QT.
Skyactiv cars use 0W20-MQ. The MQ oil has Moly added to reduce friction.

Mazda has two 0W20 synthetic oils. Non Skyactiv engines use the normal 0W20-QT.
Skyactiv cars use 0W20-MQ. The MQ oil has Moly added to reduce friction.

So does synthetic mobile 0w-20 be ok then?

I don't see any problem with the Mobil oil. I do find it interesting that Mazda formulated a specific 0W20 with Moly for the Skyactiv cars. Is the Moly syn oil able to net an extra MPG and reduce engine wear over regular 0W20's?

Darn, my costco don't carry 0w-20 mobile synthetics.....

Any one here have the service bulletin for doing an oil change? Just curious where the drain and filter are etc as the car is pretty much covered from below.

I want to be prepared to do my first oil change correctly. I saw Mobil 1 0w20 Advanced Fuel Economy oil out there. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what oil filter brand and model number I should be using on my 2014 M6?

I've seen the oil at $7 - $8/quart on the internet. Local dealer will probably be a bit higher. Maybe for the first change I'll use the Mazda-branded oil. Has anyone actually done an oil & filter change yet? What is the difficulty factor in your opinion? I have not had mine up on the ramps yet, but I'm guessing there is a full shroud (pain in the butt) that has to be remove. My son's Speed 3 has one too. Any info or advise is appreciated.

I've done quite a bit of research on this as I've always done my own oil changes. You do NOT have to take the entire shroud off, there is a smaller oil filter "port" in the shroud below the filter and drain plug that can be removed with a Philips #2 screwdriver (I actually looked at this before purchasing my 6, dealer put it up on the lift for me to inspect). The oil filter itself is the very common Fram 6607 or equivalent (I usually use Wix, Mobil 1, Purolater or Bosch) and can be removed with a 65-67 mm oil filter cap. The oil drain plug requires either a 8mm or 10mm Allen head socket (I don't have enough miles on my 6 to have done the first change yet). The port is big enough to allow the oil to drain out without spilling all over the rest of the inside of the larger shroud. The one issue I might have is the front of the car is so low (with that low aerodynamic "lower lip") that I was curious whether I could get the vehicle up my ramps without scraping that up? In my case the dealer threw in free oil changes for the first 3 years or 45,000 miles (every 4 months or 5,000 miles) which I think I'm going to take advantage of given the excellent reviews I've seen of the Mazda 0W-20 with moly synthetic oil (assuming the dealer uses that - it has to be some kind of 0W-20 synthetic as dino oil is not offered in that viscosity range).

The oil filter itself is the very common Fram 6607 or equivalent (I usually use Wix, Mobil 1, Purolater or Bosch) and can be removed with a 65-67 mm oil filter cap.

I would NOT use that filter on my Skyactiv engine. Mazda has specified a new high-flow filter and yet Fram is still cross-referencing their old design. Wix, on the other hand has released a new filter (#57002). But the OEM Mazda filter is very high quality and reasonably priced.

190476d1353091300-only-use-genuine-mazda-oil-filters-series-2-r3-jpg

Last edited:
I've done quite a bit of research on this as I've always done my own oil changes. You do NOT have to take the entire shroud off, there is a smaller oil filter "port" in the shroud below the filter and drain plug that can be removed with a Philips #2 screwdriver (I actually looked at this before purchasing my 6, dealer put it up on the lift for me to inspect). The oil filter itself is the very common Fram 6607 or equivalent (I usually use Wix, Mobil 1, Purolater or Bosch) and can be removed with a 65-67 mm oil filter cap. The oil drain plug requires either a 8mm or 10mm Allen head socket (I don't have enough miles on my 6 to have done the first change yet). The port is big enough to allow the oil to drain out without spilling all over the rest of the inside of the larger shroud. The one issue I might have is the front of the car is so low (with that low aerodynamic "lower lip") that I was curious whether I could get the vehicle up my ramps without scraping that up? In my case the dealer threw in free oil changes for the first 3 years or 45,000 miles (every 4 months or 5,000 miles) which I think I'm going to take advantage of given the excellent reviews I've seen of the Mazda 0W-20 with moly synthetic oil (assuming the dealer uses that - it has to be some kind of 0W-20 synthetic as dino oil is not offered in that viscosity range).

Thanks for the informative post.

I would not expect the dealer to use the moly oil in a free oil change scenario. I think you would have to ask for that oil and pay a hefty premium to get the $$ oil.

Thanks for the informative post.

I would not expect the dealer to use the moly oil in a free oil change scenario. I think you would have to ask for that oil and pay a hefty premium to get the $$ oil.
When I asked my dealer how much extra they would charge for the Moly oil, they said they would throw it in w/ the free oil change, no charge.

Helpful info on that filter, thanks MikeM. I'm assuming that new Wix filter is good for both the Skyactiv 2.0 and 2.5 used in the M6? I performed a Wix filter lookup and it didn't return any results for the new 2014 Mazda 6 yet, odd. In any case, I'm definitely going to have the dealer do the first change with what I assume will be 0W-20 with or without moly, I will ask, and using the Mazda OEM filter, just to be safe. If nothing else will buy me some time for the aftermarket parts suppliers to catch up with the new model on their filter look-ups, etc (and it's free)!

Helpful info on that filter, thanks MikeM. I'm assuming that new Wix filter is good for both the Skyactiv 2.0 and 2.5 used in the M6?
That's probably a good assumption since the OEM Mazda oil filter is the same between the Skyactiv 2.0 and 2.5. But it's possible the OEM filter has different specs from the Wix filter in such a way that the Wix satisfies the requirements the 2.0 but not the 2.5. But I don't have any info that indicates the two engine versions have different requirements to begin with so the scenario whereby the Wix filter is not suitable for both engines is unlikely on more than one level.

But I don't see any reason not to use the OEM filter in the first place since it is reported to be well constructed and reasonably priced. At least until Wix gets around to cross-referencing it to the 2.5L Skyactiv engine.

Thanks for the great info. I'm gonna put her on the ramps tomorrow and get a first hand look. Also, GREAT news that the filter is a spin on. My son's Speed 3 and my wife's '07 Milan (M6 in disguise) have the canister filter which is a pain in the butt.

To be perfectly honest I would run synthetic oil from the very beginning. Synthetic oil has much more benefits to it than conventional oil when I tried to run synthetic it ate oil regularly so I switched to a partial synthetic oil. Just know that it is recommended from Mazda and buy some 0W-20 synthetic and use it.

I put her up on the ramps and took a peek. Looks fairly easy. Also noticed that this car is clean and smooth underneath, hardly any protrusions to create turbulence. Also, the exhaust looks like 3" OD stainless steel. Clean design.

After about $50 worth of oil and filter, ready for the first oil change on the M6. This is expensive. I will try to get the maximum miles between oil changes. In the past I've always gone about 3K to 4K between oil changes, with annual oil analysis by Blackstone. Never had a problem, using standard mineral 5W-30 with highest API index, engines going 240K+ and no problems or premature wear (Nissan, Ford and Acura products).

Back