Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SkyActiv Engine Oil Requirements

Registered Member

Mazda cx-9 GT and 6 GT

SkyActiv Engine Oil Requirements

Does skyactive engines require synthetic? Oil weight has to be 0w-20?

2008 CX-9 GT AWD, 2014 Mazda3 sGT hatchback

If 0w is required (I don't know if it is), then, it has to be full-synthetic or partial.
    There is no dyno oil with 0w.
    2008 CX9 GT AWD + Assist Pkg + Moonroof Pkg + BSM
    ....Stormy Blue Mica / Beige
    2014 Mazda3 sGT hatchback
    ....Soul Red Metallic / Almond

Registered Member

2012 Mazda 3i Touring 6MT in graphite mica

Even in my Skyactiv 3, the oil requirement is 0w20 full synthetic. I couldn't imagine the 2.5L being any different since it is a similar engine, but larger.

Registered Member

CX-9

Mazda has two 0W20 synthetic oils. Non Skyactiv engines use the normal 0W20-QT.
    Skyactiv cars use 0W20-MQ. The MQ oil has Moly added to reduce friction.

Registered Member

Mazda cx-9 GT and 6 GT

Quote Originally Posted by GX9 View Post
    Mazda has two 0W20 synthetic oils. Non Skyactiv engines use the normal 0W20-QT.
    Skyactiv cars use 0W20-MQ. The MQ oil has Moly added to reduce friction.
    So does synthetic mobile 0w-20 be ok then?

Registered Member

CX-9

I don't see any problem with the Mobil oil. I do find it interesting that Mazda formulated a specific 0W20 with Moly for the Skyactiv cars. Is the Moly syn oil able to net an extra MPG and reduce engine wear over regular 0W20's?

Registered Member

Referring to this official service bulletin: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-sY...1USzJDZzg/edit

The recommended Engine Oil for the 2014 Mazda6 with Skyactiv-G engine is For U.S.A. and Canada SAE 0W-20 and SAE 5W-30 (International).

Registered Member

Mazda cx-9 GT and 6 GT

Darn, my costco don't carry 0w-20 mobile synthetics.....

Any one here have the service bulletin for doing an oil change? Just curious where the drain and filter are etc as the car is pretty much covered from below.

Registered Member My2014 ZoomZoom's Avatar

2014 Mazda6 Sport MT

I want to be prepared to do my first oil change correctly. I saw Mobil 1 0w20 Advanced Fuel Economy oil out there. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what oil filter brand and model number I should be using on my 2014 M6?

Registered Member

2014 Mazda 6 Grand Touring

I've seen the oil at $7 - $8/quart on the internet. Local dealer will probably be a bit higher. Maybe for the first change I'll use the Mazda-branded oil. Has anyone actually done an oil & filter change yet? What is the difficulty factor in your opinion? I have not had mine up on the ramps yet, but I'm guessing there is a full shroud (pain in the butt) that has to be remove. My son's Speed 3 has one too. Any info or advise is appreciated.

2014 Mazda 6 Touring (Blue Reflex)

I've done quite a bit of research on this as I've always done my own oil changes. You do NOT have to take the entire shroud off, there is a smaller oil filter "port" in the shroud below the filter and drain plug that can be removed with a Philips #2 screwdriver (I actually looked at this before purchasing my 6, dealer put it up on the lift for me to inspect). The oil filter itself is the very common Fram 6607 or equivalent (I usually use Wix, Mobil 1, Purolater or Bosch) and can be removed with a 65-67 mm oil filter cap. The oil drain plug requires either a 8mm or 10mm Allen head socket (I don't have enough miles on my 6 to have done the first change yet). The port is big enough to allow the oil to drain out without spilling all over the rest of the inside of the larger shroud. The one issue I might have is the front of the car is so low (with that low aerodynamic "lower lip") that I was curious whether I could get the vehicle up my ramps without scraping that up? In my case the dealer threw in free oil changes for the first 3 years or 45,000 miles (every 4 months or 5,000 miles) which I think I'm going to take advantage of given the excellent reviews I've seen of the Mazda 0W-20 with moly synthetic oil (assuming the dealer uses that - it has to be some kind of 0W-20 synthetic as dino oil is not offered in that viscosity range).
    "Out of pitch but still in tune" (Neil Young)

My Mazda lineage:

90 Protege
    94 Protege (RIP, tranny died 3/25/13)
    04 MPV
    14 Mazda 6 Blue Reflex Touring w/fogs & auto dim mirror

2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by rampage80 View Post
    The oil filter itself is the very common Fram 6607 or equivalent (I usually use Wix, Mobil 1, Purolater or Bosch) and can be removed with a 65-67 mm oil filter cap.
    I would NOT use that filter on my Skyactiv engine. Mazda has specified a new high-flow filter and yet Fram is still cross-referencing their old design. Wix, on the other hand has released a new filter (#57002). But the OEM Mazda filter is very high quality and reasonably priced.

Last edited by MikeM.; 05-07-2013 at 11:01 AM.

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 FWD Touring

Quote Originally Posted by rampage80 View Post
    I've done quite a bit of research on this as I've always done my own oil changes. You do NOT have to take the entire shroud off, there is a smaller oil filter "port" in the shroud below the filter and drain plug that can be removed with a Philips #2 screwdriver (I actually looked at this before purchasing my 6, dealer put it up on the lift for me to inspect). The oil filter itself is the very common Fram 6607 or equivalent (I usually use Wix, Mobil 1, Purolater or Bosch) and can be removed with a 65-67 mm oil filter cap. The oil drain plug requires either a 8mm or 10mm Allen head socket (I don't have enough miles on my 6 to have done the first change yet). The port is big enough to allow the oil to drain out without spilling all over the rest of the inside of the larger shroud. The one issue I might have is the front of the car is so low (with that low aerodynamic "lower lip") that I was curious whether I could get the vehicle up my ramps without scraping that up? In my case the dealer threw in free oil changes for the first 3 years or 45,000 miles (every 4 months or 5,000 miles) which I think I'm going to take advantage of given the excellent reviews I've seen of the Mazda 0W-20 with moly synthetic oil (assuming the dealer uses that - it has to be some kind of 0W-20 synthetic as dino oil is not offered in that viscosity range).
    Thanks for the informative post.

I would not expect the dealer to use the moly oil in a free oil change scenario. I think you would have to ask for that oil and pay a hefty premium to get the $$ oil.
    Thanks

Chris W

2014 CX-5 FWD touring

2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by cwstnsko View Post
    Thanks for the informative post.

I would not expect the dealer to use the moly oil in a free oil change scenario. I think you would have to ask for that oil and pay a hefty premium to get the $$ oil.
    When I asked my dealer how much extra they would charge for the Moly oil, they said they would throw it in w/ the free oil change, no charge.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2014 Mazda 6 Touring (Blue Reflex)

Helpful info on that filter, thanks MikeM. I'm assuming that new Wix filter is good for both the Skyactiv 2.0 and 2.5 used in the M6? I performed a Wix filter lookup and it didn't return any results for the new 2014 Mazda 6 yet, odd. In any case, I'm definitely going to have the dealer do the first change with what I assume will be 0W-20 with or without moly, I will ask, and using the Mazda OEM filter, just to be safe. If nothing else will buy me some time for the aftermarket parts suppliers to catch up with the new model on their filter look-ups, etc (and it's free)!
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast