1994 Protege alternator not charging...

sstevens69

:
1994 Mazda Protege
I have a 94 Protege with SOHC engine. Recently, the battery stopped holding a charge, so I replace the battery and the car ran fine for a month. Suddenly, it won't hold a charge again. I pulled the alternator and had it bench tested, it's fine. I'm trying to troubleshoot why the alt is not getting power back to the battery.

Anyone have a troubleshooting guide to track this down? I tested continuity between Neg Battery cable and B-post at the alt with the battery disconnected and the ignition switch on, 0 resistance. What else can I check? Is there a fuse that might be blown?

The car will start and run, but will not charge the battery, so it's running off the battery directly and just dies when the battery runs out of juice.

Fixed.

The good news? I didn't have to buy another alternator, Advance replaced the faulty one. The original alternator failed bench test once, passed twice, but it had a real hard time spinning and was covered with rubber dust & particles from the v-belt.

The bad news? I still had to take out the first new one to install the good one.

Anyway, fixed. Lesson to be learned: bench tech new electrical parts before you leave the store.

Back