FREE SHIPPING from AMSOIL! Click the Banner for Offer Details!
FREE SHIPPING from AMSOIL! Click the Banner for Offer Details!

Thread: Mazda CX-7 website for class-action lawsuit in regards to timing chain and VVT

Registered Member

Mazda CX-7

Exclamation Mazda CX-7 website for class-action lawsuit in regards to timing chain and VVT

Hello all,

I am posting to make users of this site aware of a site that I have created to assist current and previous owners of Mazda CX-7 vehicles with serious mechanical issues such as timing chain, VVT, engine sludge buildup, and turbo issues.

Please visit here:
    http://www.cx7problems.com

Our Story:

My wife and I purchased a new CX-7 in May of 2007 during it's initial launch. We wanted a crossover SUV and decided that CX-7 was our first choice. We purchased at Kings Mazda in Mason, OH and had a relatively average buying experience. I say average as our sales guy was cocky and very difficult to work with. We both drove it for the first 3 years and had no issues with vehicle. We took advantage of the free oil changes offered with our purchased and took excellent care of the vehicle.

In May of 2010, I was driving the vehicle on a short trip around town. On the way home, the vehicle shut down on a major road with no warning and was towed to a local Mazda dealership, Jake Sweeney Mazda, for inspection. The next day, I was told the timing chain had skipped time and there was damage to the cylinder head (valves) and I "needed a new engine". Mazda provided me with an $8000 quote for a re-manufactured engine and labor.

I immediately begin getting the corporate offices, Mazda North America, involved. Because I was 2000 miles over my power train warranty, I was denied any assistance from Mazda. I continued the fight through the Better Business Bureau and through the Attorney General's Office of my state which both turned out to be joke. Mazda refused to work with either and then simply left me by the wayside.

Fast forward two years and countless letters and phone calls later - I was surprised to receive a letter from Mazda North American admitting to the VVT problem in relation to timing. I was excited and I fell within the requirements specified by the SSP. I immediately contacted Mazda again to discuss the option of having my vehicle repaired at their cost. I was told, based on my previous conversations with them, that their decision stood and they could not help me. It was extremely disappointing and led me to take further action by creating this site.

Please join my fight and signup on the website. Our site is rapidly gaining popularity and has several hundred individuals signed up at the present date. We are close to reaching our goal to create a class-action suit against Mazda. Feel free to email me directly with questions or comments. I also welcome you to share your story with me.

Sincerely,

Jamie Hurley
    jamie.hurley@gmail.com

08 CX-7 Sport-awd / Pearl / Moonroof / Bose

Best of luck to you and your following.
    The serious (and expensive) issues you name specifically tend to be the one's I keep seeing and reading about with many experiences happening under 50 or 60 k miles.

I see a fair amount of posts here defending Mazda when others have unresolved issues with Mazda "not going to bat" when someone is even slightly over the warranty period or miles yet they are the very same issues. These would seem to be known problems happening often enough to be unnerving.
    I can only hope that my 08 with 74k + is an exception and if I have issues, my ext warranty will catch anything big costing me a minor deductable.

The numbers of people who claim all dealer services, LOF and maint records (documented) then have VVT - sludge/egr and/or other major design-related meltdowns, yet are left hanging is difficult to imagine.

~brian
    Last edited by bachman; 05-06-2013 at 04:27 AM.
    08 CX-7 Sport -AWD/Pearl/M-roof and Bose/ New to us at 69,472 miles

Registered Member

Mazda CX-7

Brian,

I couldn't agree more with your observation of Mazda's history of warranty repairs. They tend to push blame towards consumer's for things like "engine sludge" even if the owner can prove regular maintenance in accordance with the vehicle manual.

After spending well over $3000.00 on a rebuild head/valves from a VVT failure, our CX-7 is now experiencing issues with the turbo. It is being repaired right now and is going to be traded in within the next week or two.

By the way, my website, http://www.cx7problems.com is gaining a lot of popularity over the last few months and now has over 200 signups. Keep me updated on your experience with your Cx-7, Brian. Every little bit helps.

Thanks - Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by bachman View Post
    Best of luck to you and your following.
    The serious (and expensive) issues you name specifically tend to be the one's I keep seeing and reading about with many experiences happening under 50 or 60 k miles.

I see a fair amount of posts here defending Mazda when others have unresolved issues with Mazda "not going to bat" when someone is even slightly over the warranty period or miles yet they are the very same issues. These would seem to be known problems happening often enough to be unnerving.
    I can only hope that my 08 with 74k + is an exception and if I have issues, my ext warranty will catch anything big costing me a minor deductable.

The numbers of people who claim all dealer services, LOF and maint records (documented) then have VVT - sludge/egr and/or other major design-related meltdowns, yet are left hanging is difficult to imagine.

~brian

Sorry to hear of those experiences and expense.
    Just reading a few threads, it's alarmingly obvious this is front and center with potential buyers posting questions and concerns.
    It's an unfortunate backlash when problems do get turned around after a few model years yet they may torpedo the customer service in the meantime.

I got to thinking as I was reading these from others;

Imagine getting a denial letter for a claim on one of the top three or four issues (EGR, Sludge, VVT) stating as others have received; "....not changing the oil often enough." or something related to inadequate service, yet many of these were owners with all the service history stamped in the book by the dealer.
    Doesn't that essentially put the onus on the dealer when the manufacturer claims the bogged up motor was due to substandard service and the owner has met the standards as documented? It seems pretty straightforward, just matter of who one takes action against.

~brian
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Thursday, my cars (both purchased used there) went to the dealer for the lifetime LOF and check up's.
    After doing the little car, I went back with the CX-7 my wife drives and paid extra for the headlight lens recon/buff. WOW did they come out nice!! I think they were pretty well scuffed up from automated car wash bristles or somthing and the normal foggy degradaton that seems to happen over a few years. It was $90 but the thing that sold me was the LT guarantee.

So the main point here is I know they are always scoping for more issues to fix / repair and they did not let me down. I got a call later in the day about a leaky timing or valve cover, a front seal leak and mention of something with the injectors.... They wanted to keep it and offered me a loaner.
    All this sounded good so far b/c I had orig purchased the more pricey warranty so I let her know that;

"Yes lets get all that stuff taken care of and btw, I have the ext coverage with a minor deductable!"

Maybe it was my imagination but I thought I detected a slight pause as if there is a difference in how excited they are with customer pay versus getting the approval - okay by the warranty company. Not sure about this though. I may just be too suspicious about things. In any case, I hope to be very happy with some things getting fixed and seeing the ext warranty getting some use (cost benefit). The only other issue was a leaky 4wd system/seal in the rear they covered although I don't remember if it was factory tsb-recall or it was my ext warranty. I think I was out of pocket the deductable on it but if I remember correct, that leak is not atypical. I'll update this with the exact fixes they did and the 'list' prices.

Not sure if they ding me a separate deductable for my CD player issue but I listed that as a problem too.

** We have a 2012 Mazda 6 as a loaner with approx 15,000 miles. It is the 4cyl auto and very nice car (in the 6 miles my wife drove it and 4 I put on thus far .... :-)
    Last edited by bachman; 05-24-2013 at 05:17 AM. Reason: ** added
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

Mazda CX7 2007

My 2007 has cost me many thousands of dollars and much stress with just 45,000 miles on the clock. Anything and everything is apparently my fault. The wrong gas, the wrong oil changes, not enough mileage!! Mazda are ripping me off and many more. I can't wait to sell this car but it's going to be at a loss because it has so many technical problems. Not happy!!

I think we are approaching 82,000 or so. The dealer LOF last week caught the Campaign for emissions and did an update or re-flash. I think it was the one that sets off the CEL and I thought was previously a new gas cap issue, just never got around to it before. It was def related to warmer temps and maybe gas tank pressure/venting or so I thought. That's when the light came on usually and it never happened with 1/2 full or more in the tank. Filling the tank and driving some would work like a reset.

As to the motor, I still have just over 6 months on the ext warranty i got when we bought it used.

I'll take tips or advice from anyone b/c I'd like to set the stage for getting it checked out thoroughly before the motor/drive train is out of warranty.
    Here is my line of thinking ---

It's noisy but I've never owned a turbo before. Do you suppose it's within reason to suggest the noise concerns me and might be getting worse -- (Ie; play it low key and not jump up and down telling them I know this issue has a huge population) When I say noise, I'm thinking the tractor sound is normal for turbo but I do hear the chain sounding like it's beyond normal. Maybe I ought to go test drive a similar year and hear how other motors sound. This way, I could already know in my head and challenge them to a listening test if so needed.
    If they agree it sounds rough and get the okay to look into it more I'd be comforted. If they flat out refuse to acknowledge anything about it, I'll have it on record (at least) that I have concerns and will either contest their decision, sell it off later or take my chances that it's going to hold up and be okay.
    I called Mazda cust service the other day to see if I could find vin related records for dealer services and maint just to see if any existed. Nothing really there. Mine had a leaky rear wheel seal or something that was covered w ext warranty and I keep it up on all lof and stuff to the point that we hit 4 to 5 months at 3000 miles so we are well within 'over servicing'.
    Am I missing anything? I don't want to trick anyone into anything but I know countless others have been duped and left hanging in the wind and my motor is approaching or surpassed mileage others have had complete or catastrophic failures.

Next week, it's a complete clucth/fly wheel job in my Infiniti at 110,000 miles. Santa is running low on the Dollar Index ! lol

Merry Christmas to all and best of luck in your endeavors, be they Mazda related or otherwise.

~brian

Registered Member

20007 CX-7

I held on to my faith for so long not to feel as Mazda CX-7 victim...
    well... it started with fusible link was bad and engline light on for misalignment on camshaft.
    engine light came on for different issues but never imagine having those codes now showing up.

I refused to take to mazda dealership for anymore repairs, at least the dealership I went, they never hassled me with VVT warranty or exhaust smoke problems.

I wonder if my mazda will jack me up on I-5 during rush hour.. what a feeling i have everyday to live in....
    is it worth fixing/rebuilding a turbo.... well mazda cx-7 made #1 worst used car news... I feel like crapshoot about now.

Copper Red GT w/Tech

I purchased my 2007 CX7 Grand Touring new in Oct 2006. Drove it for 7 years and 60,000 miles with no major problems. Absolutely loved the car with the exception of the premium gas and poor gas mileage. It was always garaged and I never drove it hard. A couple of months ago, I started hearing an unfamiliar 'tick' in the engine as well as a popping sound from the front suspension. I went online to do some research and discovered the horror stories on blown engines (with astronomical repair bills even with the extended warranty and maintenance records), a/c compressor lockups and VVT issues. I also stumbled on the article that named the 2007 CX7 as #1 worst used car. I then spoke to a friend that owns an independent Mazda repair facility and he stated that I was lucky that I hadn't had engine problems already as he sees blown turbos/timing chains quite frequently. I was sincerely hoping I could drive the car for a few more years, but after what I have read on numerous websites, I decided to part with my CX7. Call me a 'nervous nellie' if you like, I just didn't want to get stuck with a blown engine, which, from the strange engine noises I was beginning to experience, is where I may have been headed. It was a bittersweet moment to trade as I really liked my CX7, but I didn't want to become a CX7 nightmare victim.

Registered Member

Mazda CX7 2010

First, up until 11/2/13, I loved my 2010 CX7. On that day, while helping my mother in-law move, I'm driving along about 50 mph when there's a loud bang from under their hood and the engine is no longer running and every idiot light is on. The Verdict ...I threw a rod, literally. It came "through" the engine block and destroyed my starter. 115,000 miles

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 FWD Touring auto and 2012 Mazda 5 Sport

I just checked Consumer Reports on the 2007 CX7 turbo and it's got the worse rating for reliability. It shows that it has had major engine troubles. I hope my CX5 doesn't follow that same fate. I wonder if this has anything to do with Fords ownership of Mazda and Mazda having to use Ford parts.

Registered Member

CX-9

Hello,
    Sorry to hear of all the trouble.. You guys make sure you ever changed the oil? Everyone claims they take care off their vehicle, but when they are asked for the service records... the records never appear....

Registered Member

CX-9

Quote Originally Posted by CXheaven View Post
    I purchased my 2007 CX7 Grand Touring new in Oct 2006. Drove it for 7 years and 60,000 miles with no major problems. Absolutely loved the car with the exception of the premium gas and poor gas mileage. It was always garaged and I never drove it hard. A couple of months ago, I started hearing an unfamiliar 'tick' in the engine as well as a popping sound from the front suspension. I went online to do some research and discovered the horror stories on blown engines (with astronomical repair bills even with the extended warranty and maintenance records), a/c compressor lockups and VVT issues. I also stumbled on the article that named the 2007 CX7 as #1 worst used car. I then spoke to a friend that owns an independent Mazda repair facility and he stated that I was lucky that I hadn't had engine problems already as he sees blown turbos/timing chains quite frequently. I was sincerely hoping I could drive the car for a few more years, but after what I have read on numerous websites, I decided to part with my CX7. Call me a 'nervous nellie' if you like, I just didn't want to get stuck with a blown engine, which, from the strange engine noises I was beginning to experience, is where I may have been headed. It was a bittersweet moment to trade as I really liked my CX7, but I didn't want to become a CX7 nightmare victim.
    Why not just replace the VVT & keep riding.. the problem is greatly exaggerated.. If you change the VVT & chain when you hear the noise you will be fine...
    letting it go another 10k and then crying when the chain snaps is just plain dumb....
    Last edited by mj80s; 04-29-2014 at 09:40 PM.