Just a dream?

ikerg

The other day I was thinking about the Tomtom Navigator option and how it could improve the options of the stock 5.8in headunit.
AS far as I know, the Tomtom device is an external device that connects with the HU.
So, the Tomtom sends the image to the display and communicates with the HU in order to send/receive the voice commands as well as its being charged by the HU.

What about using the wires of the Tomtom in order to connect an External peripheral like smartphone/Android Tv box?
This devices could use the display video communication interface with the HU, as well as the audio.
By presssing the NAVigator button on the HU, the external device image could be mirrored to the HU and perhaps actioned.
In the same way, the device could be charged when connected

You can use the GPS of the smartphone and, of course, the navigation app you like, not limited to the Tomtom

What I mean is, as the smartphones can mirror the image (via HDMI or similar) to an external display....as the HU can accept external image from Tomtom device...all the neccesary is there (someway speaking)....i think my dream could be possible to be true.

Obvieously...it is necesasary to know the communication protocols between HU and Tomtom...and the firmware of the HU for further investigating...

What do you think?

As Mazda expects HU firmware updates (the diagnostics of the HU have the option of updating)...could a firmware of the HU dumped to a PC?
Has anyone photos of the backside of the HU?

That would be awesome, to basically allow the built-in screen to be used as an external display for a phone. I'm guessing auto makers would never implement something like that because of liability. Some idiot would use it to watch video while driving then sue Mazda when he gets in an accident.

There would be some technical challenges. Phone apps would have to be able to interface with the head unit.

I was hopeful when I first saw the setup for the Nav on it because for some time I've thought that the best solution would be to be able to plug in whatever nav unit you want to use and just have it run through the larger touch screen remotely. Because the three drawbacks to a portable nav for me are:
It screams "break a window and take me" if you don't put it away when you park,
It isn't always on and at the ready so you have to dig it out and wait for it to find the satellites before you can use
and the screens on the portable ones are smaller than the built in ones.

Do any of the phones have the ability for an external screen to have touch controls?

Last edited:
I have said this for years. There should be a Bluetooth protocol to send screen information to another device to display it. You would use basic input back to it as a keyboard and mouse and boom you have a head unit that does not need GPS because you can use the one in the phone etc.. your phone would be your head unit and you install head unit software and you can skit it so there no longer would be stuck with generic face to your head unit you could customize and skin it.

You just need a device support tv-out such as droid incredible phone. But the problem is that the screen's resolution is too low.

I have a mirrorlink compatible phone, I could push video out to my cx-5 lcd sreen? Can someone advise?

No you cant. Mirrorlink is a feature i think mazda not included on current models but plans to include in future

ah ok. Is there any way to push video from an iphone, gs3, note 2, ipad etc, to the screen? I saw a russian video of someone playing video on the screen so I know it is capable of it somehow. I just bought a brand new 2014 GT and if I can figure this out I would be beyond happy

Can you post the video you mentioned. I don't think that exist any bt protocol. If that existed, considering mazda is using old bt profiles on the head unit (as I installed in order to sync my phonebook) ... I dont think that mazda included it on this hu.
We shoukd have faith on vaistech if they try the same thing on the Toyota to the mazdas

I did check the russian forum for the CX-5 in order to find more information.
In that thread were discussed a lot about aftermarket replacements..etc.. but the most interesting thing is the carsolutions web. They have specific modules to be connected to the headunit that provides Navigation (and bluetooth and Video and Mp3...) just using the original HeadUnit touchscreen. one of the most interesting models is the CS9900 that runs Android.
It outputs different resolutions
Initially it costs 500USD (the same as Tomtom Nav option) but with the additional feature that you can use the Navigation App (for Android of course) that you want by "buying" it from Android Market. (Even piracy is not accepted by myself, it is known the simple way that the android apps can be used without paying for them). The main advantage is the free update of the apps and maps once it is bought

I asked them if the CX-5 is compatible, but unfortunately currently it isn't...but they do plan to include in the compatibility list.

I have learnt a lot in that forum. I dind't know that there were a 5.8in touchscreen version of the headunit without Navigation button.

Very interesting so that video wasn't of a stock cx5 head unit? I tried to use chrome to translate but it still wasn't that clear

I have investigated deeper and I found two possibilities.

1) WP9900 from Wonder Proud company. is an Android Car Navigation Box running 2.3.5 that can connect to the OEM TouchScreen. This device can output the 480*272 resolution like the Tomtom Nav from Mazda. Additionally you can mirror the signal from your android phone via mirrorlink. I have asked regarding the compatibility of this device to the Mazda CX-5:

"Hi Iker

WP9900 is USD360/pcs including 3G and wifi.

However; for Mazda CX-5 USB navigation,
we’re now on the way developing for USB support on our navigation box.
It could take a while to finish.

Would you like to try WP9900 before the solution is ready?

Best regards,
Rox
Wonde Proud Technology Co. Ltd."

Advantages: Android Engine (for Navigation) + mirroring
Disadvantages: Only Android compatible. I don't know dimensions and perhaps do not fit on the area for the Tomtom NAV system (the place I want to use due to the wire system is already there).

http://www.wondeproud.com/product_16_1_productfeatures.html

2)MimicsX2. This system is provided as small PCBs. It can mirror HDMI/MHL signals from Phone (via cable) from the device to the Touchscreen. The touch pressing is sent to the phone by bluetooth.
Phone <- Cable HDMI/MHL -> MimicsX2 <-Cable->Touchscreen <-Bluetooth-> Phone
It has a MicroSD slot for future upgrades.

Advantages: Android & Apple IOS mirroring compatible
Price: 209 AUS Dollar
Small enough to fit inside the place for the Mazda Tomtom NAV system.
Disadvantages: Only for mirroring. But it is solved as the phone is the CPU for everything. Supplied as PCBs

http://www.customgadz.com/store/category.php?id_category=2

I have seen a video of somebody using this MimicsX2 without wires by using the Allshare connectivity from Samsung (Galaxy NOte2)

The people is using on the Headunits by opening them and inserting this kind of PCBs connecting them to the Touchscreen signal and connecting back to the touchscreen.
In our case (CX-5) I thicnk we can do it by using the wire set left by Mazda for the NAV system.

we have to know if the wires of the NAVsystem from Mazda are enough to mount this system:
- how many wires to the Touchscreen (2/4/8)
- Voltage..
- Etc..

I found some videos running MimicsX2 (mirroring a Galaxy Note & a Galaxy Tab to a Touchscreen with NO CABLES - all wirelessly)
I have no idea if the resolution coud be adjusted to the 480*272 used by CX-5 HeadUnit.
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?=3RrHkDGyNw0[/video]

I don't know why they have not created a Bluetooth profile for screen sharing with mobile device. Use Bluetooth to negotiate a secure connection then continue over Wifi for the bandwidth. It would mirror your device screen and touch screen would just act as a mouse.

Would make some of this stuff so simple. I love where android is going with this stuff, where you can replace the navigation. Very cool

The mimicsX2 only allows to the touch pressing being interpreted by the phone. The video should be transferred directly by hdmi or a/v components.
I opened the cap covering the tomtom unit location and i found three cables:
One switch is green with four wires. I suppose this is the touchscreen interface. So it will be connected directly to the mimicsX2
Other one is the GPS antenna. This will be unusable at this time, because we are going to use the phone and its own gps antenna to mirror it to the headunit.
And the last one is that mazda calls the usb interface for the tomtom. This cable should be the responsible on sending video signal to the headunit.
This cable is composed by 8wires.
Does anybody knows the wire disposition to know which ones are acc, which ones are video out....

On the russian forum, a non bluetooth (non nav) touchscreen cx-5 headunit was disassembled. The lcd panel corresponds with a gcx146akm-e model (made by Sony). I think this panel is 800x480 resolution. I dont know why the tomtom mazda module send the video to the touchscreen as 400x272.
D you think we can use the 800x480 for mirroring?

I had receiveda new email for wp9900 model and they said that they are implementing a mazda solution. It will be ready in 60 days. They will keep me informed. This unit is an android cpu, that can be any apk installed and additnally it could perform mirroring over the android phone.

Looking on the Russian Forum I did notice that one year ago, it was found a headunit manufacturer that made a Stereo full adapted to the CX-5. It included as well the Menu for lighetning/wipers/Doors (it is called MFD support)
They annouced it as a full 100% plug&play solution with the current wires.
The only complaints were due to the bad quality of the display/image. The manufacurers in that time were updating the monitors to ones with higher quality.
Now (one year after) they have announced an Android Based HadUnit for the CX-5.

Even for this specific mazda adaptation is not announced, for the general Android based systems, this manufacturer includes:
800*480 display AND Capacitive touchscreen multitouch
Double USB POrt
Mirrorlink system supported
MFD support

FEATURES:
HARDWARE INFORMATION
CPU : Adopt Cortex A9 1GHz dual-core processor;
Android 2.3 system;
powerful system configuration ensures excellent operating experience and multi-tasking

DDR RAM: 512MB fast multifuntional operation speed

Built-in Memory: built-in 4G storage space; external 8G SD card;Transfer songs,
photos ,videos among SD card, Built-in Nand Flash& USB Flash

USB Port : 2 Port available, support USB Mobile Hard Drive (exFAT,no capacity limit),
High-Speed USB 2.0: 480Mbps High Speed USB 2.0 Interface

Storage Card:4GB SD card(standard), external 8GB(Optional)

FUNCTIONAL DESCRIPTION

Special OEM design

100% match with original car. No modification, plug and play, no cutting wires. Compatible with auto MFD and climate
display and work with car original amplifier and original sound system.

Intelligent Navigation: Support real 3D map. Latest Map data with ongoing update, Intelligent voice guide automatic route plan Advanced point
of interest management.

Digital TV and analog TV: Any time and everywhere, to discover amazing football live& other enjoyment by TV function.
(analog: PAL/ SECAM / NTSC digital: DVB-T ISDB-T)

Vehicle standard DVD loader: Wide digital screen, 800*480 high definition display, full surround HIFI sound, driving will be no longer boring.

High sensitivity Radio: Support Radio with FM and AM. RDS information display is available. Support U.S., Asia and Europe radio standard.

Built-in Bluetooth with A2DP: Handsfree, support caller ID display, Transfer Phonebook, Caller records, call history.

Bidirectional copy among SD, USB and local: Transfer songs, photos, videos among SD card, Built-in Nand Flash & USB Flash. Support max storage of 64GB
( SD card& USB Flash).Support real USB 2.0 faster than USB 1.1 standard.

3G surfing the Internet: An amazing way to surf the Internet by 3G, extend entertainment further in your car.

iPhone/ iPod play & charge: Support iPod( Classic, Nano & Shuffle) connection, work with iPhone 3G, iTouch and charge them.

Rear view camera: A rear view camera dramatically eliminates blind spots, making it safer and easier to park and reverse your vehicle(optional).

Dual Zone Entertainment: While Navi working and voice guide from front speakers, kids from your back seats can watch DVD from headrest monitor(optional).

The link is:

http://www.roadrover.cn/e/products_view.php?id=146

Back