Need Help identifying a sensor

:
Protege5, Lancer Evolution IX
Hello,
I have a sensor that is leaking some kind of glue/goo. I can't find the name of this sensor. It's located next to the oil pressure switch/sensor. If your underneath the car its directly located above the the oil filter. I would like to replace it with OEM, so any help identifying would really help.

maybe it is the knock sensor. Sounds right. I tried to look it up, my manual doesn't give a good photograph of the area surrounding the oil pressure sensor.

^Do you actually have a manual with photographs? How much and where do I get one? I hate those stupid diagrams in the Factory Service Manual,... I wish Haynes or Chilton made a manual for this car.

They do for the 626 and probe. 2.0 motors are the same except we use coil packs instead of a distributor

^Would it only be the engine pictures that would be useful?? I know they have a haynes for older Proteges,... would that be helpful or are the older cars completely different? (the stupid books are plastic wrapped so you can't page through them in the store and you can't return them if the plastic is removed)
I'll check Wal-Mart and Canadian Tire again to see what years of Protege they do cover. I gather I should look for "third generation" proteges.

Looking up knock sensors on rockauto, that looks like the part. This could also be the reason for my pings? I can't believe the OEM is like $130 and leaking goo from the middle of it. Thanks guys for your help!

I've got a question, has anyone used an aftermarket knock sensor for awhile now? I don't want to pay the OEM price, but also don't want to ruin my motor by using a bad part.

Aftermarket should be fine, you should replace it soon especially if you're getting pinging, I would also look into why you're not getting a cel for the knock sensor

^Do you actually have a manual with photographs? How much and where do I get one? I hate those stupid diagrams in the Factory Service Manual,... I wish Haynes or Chilton made a manual for this car.

The Automotive Repair Shop I work for pays for Mitchell AKA www.shopkeypro.com .
It is very close to the FSM. ( shopkey gets most of there info from the FSM ).
Basically, it is an Aftermarket FSM for every single car produced since 1982.
Some of there Diagrams and images are better than factory. And in some cases, like in newer European cars(Volvo & Volkswagen), actual photographs are used. They "say" that they try to use actual photographs in place of Diagrams where ever possible.

Last edited:
Both of my P5's have leaked there and so does my spare 626 motor. My MSP is the only one that is not leaking from the knock sensor but it just rolled over 70k mi. so we'll see.

Aftermarket should be fine, you should replace it soon especially if you're getting pinging, I would also look into why you're not getting a cel for the knock sensor

Yeah, why no Knock Sensor CEL? Have we confirmed 100% that the sensor in question is indeed a Knock Sensor?
I've never heard of a Knock Sensor leaking anything. I could give you an accurate identification if I could get a more accurate description or even Photo of the Sensor in question.

I don't even know if the Protege has a cell for the knock sensor. I've never heard of anyone getting a cell for it.

There is no hole in the block where the knock sensor sits. It is simply bored in and tapped for the sensor to attach.

It can not leak there.. Keep looking for the source of the leak.

Yeah BRIAN_MP5T , thats how I learned it. It just sits on the block and is designed to notify ECU if things like detination occur. or a very large miss-fire or even some serious: "Knocking" & "Pinging" :)

Something else is leaking, for sure.

There is three knock sensors to pick from at Rockauto,
They all have a hole in the end of the threaded part which would suggest to me that they sense some kind of percussion input and wouldn't just thread into a plugged hole.
I'm guessing that they may have some sort of gel or fluid inside them to support the accelerometer.

2002 MAZDA PROTEGE5 2.0L L4 : Emission : Knock (Detonation) Sensor
BECK/ARNLEY Part # 1581026 CAD$47.92

AIRTEX / WELLS Part # 5S2262 {#FS7N18921, FS7N18921A, SU5788}
CAD$96.06

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # KS188 {#FS7H18921A, FS7N18921, FS7N18921A} Intermotor; Direct OE Replacement; Connector Gender: Male
CAD$99.13

Apparently there is a CELL for the FS engine for knock sensor malfunction :p0325 Knock sensor circuit.
I'm guessing it may only test for short or open but may not "know" if the sensor is operating properly outside of that.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back