2015 Mazda CX-9

Not sure if this is the right place to put it, but here is my version of the 2015 Mazda CX-9. Comments/criticism welcome.

The current CX-9 debuted in 2007 so its been on the market for about 6 years, so I figured it was time for a redesign. Shorter overhangs, and a faster sloping rear end as well as a longer more curvaceous glass area give it a more aggressive and dynamic stance. The sides are broken up by the lower plastic mouldings as well as the KODO inspired character lines that run from the front fender and into the body. It also receives 21" alloy wheels to continue with the aggressive theme.

Possible powertrain options:
- Availability of 2WD or AWD
- High power version of the 2.2L Twin Turbo SkyActiv-Diesel engine mated to the 6 Speed SkyActiv-Drive Transmission
- An all new 2.5L Turbocharged SkyActiv-Gasoline engine mated to the 6 Speed SkyActiv-Drive Transmission
- An all new hybrid powertrain (licensed from Toyota) featuring the naturally aspirated 2.5L SkyActiv-Gasonline engine paired with two electric motors (one powering the front wheels, one powering the rear wheels) driven through the 6 Speed SkyActiv-Drive transmission

The 2015 CX-9 would most likely incorporate all of Mazda's i-ActivSense safety technologies, as well as i-Stop and i-Eloop.

The CX-9 Hybrid version would be take Mazda up to their next stepping stone, with i-Stop and i-Eloop being the previous two steps.

MazdaCX9KODO-GOOD-COPY.jpg

My understandings:
1) no hybrid in near term. Mazda is developing a hybrid system based on rotary engine. It might not make it to production.
2) No 2015 FMC. Recent change is considered a half-FMC. It will last for 3-4 years. You will not see another FMC until 2016-2017 model year.
3) Mazda is working on Mazda3 SkyActive. Mazda can only work on 1 model at a year. Small company w/ limited resource (RnD, marketing, etc.) Next to come are Mazda5 and MX-5 (Miata).

Agree with your other points.

Overall is really good, but wheel base seems really short to me. Push back wheels a bit back will look perfect.

Dude that picture has been around the block and back. Will be a 16 model in year 2015. I feel like they will end up with a more fuel efficient V6. All the market would demand is upper 20s or 30mpg highway. Direct injection alone will get close. I can't see them putting a 4 banger in a 6,000lb vehicle even if it has 10 turbos. Maybe that's just me hoping.

Dude that picture has been around the block and back. Will be a 16 model in year 2015. I feel like they will end up with a more fuel efficient V6. All the market would demand is upper 20s or 30mpg highway. Direct injection alone will get close. I can't see them putting a 4 banger in a 6,000lb vehicle even if it has 10 turbos. Maybe that's just me hoping.

Mazda has stated they are not building a Skyactiv V6. I can't imagine a boosted 4 will do, gas or diesel. That leaves us with a sourced V6 from somewhere else. The only thing that comes to mind is Mazda's partnership with Toyota. Could we see a Toyota V6 in the next CX-9? Who knows. Food for thought, though.

If it is true the next major redesign will be 2016/17 then the 2014 is what we will be buying next year, probably August. My personal take is a dislike for the 20 inch wheels so 21 for me is out of the question. The 2013/14 Touring is delivered with 18 inch so will have to live with it.

Back