Adapting 2014 multimedia software (Pandora) into 2013's unit.

Bumping this thread - This is still a big one for many of us `13 users, and I'm sure we're curious if anyone has found a work around.

- What we HAVE determined (right?) is that the SD card ONLY updates TomTom. It does NOT impact any of the features on the HU.
- Adding any additional features (apps - Pandora, messaging, etc) will require an update of the HU itself (software / hardware undetermined).

Has anyone ascertained if the 2013 Nav HU is the same Mazda part # of the 2014?

Still researching. :)

Using this site - http://www.jimellismazdaparts.com/default.aspx

It appears the NON-Bluetooth cars share the same part number from 2013 to 2014.

66870J AUDIO SET W/O BLUETOOTH HANDSFREE SYS.

Of course nothing is listed for bluetooth equipped models.

Anyone have a good resource at a dealer that can further verify?

I don't use Pandora, and my car does not have the tech package, so the vehicle adjustment part of the head unit is inactive. I would love to try a swap of my unit for a 2013 touchscreen unit that does not have the iPod issue to see what the results are. If anyone lives close to VT/NH/MA border and wants to try this let me know.

Still researching. :)

Using this site - http://www.jimellismazdaparts.com/default.aspx

It appears the NON-Bluetooth cars share the same part number from 2013 to 2014.

66870J AUDIO SET W/O BLUETOOTH HANDSFREE SYS.

Of course nothing is listed for bluetooth equipped models.

Anyone have a good resource at a dealer that can further verify?

What part is that for? i can find out for you.

I have started doing much research on this as I feel the TomTom software is total crap. I am no expert but I have tried to learn as much as I can and this is what I have gathered so far. If someone knows more or differently than I do please let me know as I am wanting to learn more.

From what it looks like I believe those of us with 2013s may be able to upgrade to the 2014s software through the SD card after all! This is why I believe it may be possible but I would need someone who has a 2014 to provide me with some files...

I viewed the contents of my SD card after removing it from my vehicle, contents where:
Folders -
loopdir
maps
statdata
USA_Canada
voices
Files -
tthome.bif

I then opened TomTom Home and completed "Update my Mazda Navigation System NB1".
Contents where added to my SD card: (I am pretty sure they are deleted once you place it back in your car and the update is completed)
Folder -
TomTom-Cfg
File -
ttsystem

I believe the "ttsystem" file may possibly update your firmware on your device. The reason why I believe this is...

I viewed the ttsystem file in linux. It has what appears to be files that will flash something and configuration files? This file also contains all of the pictures that show up when you insert the SD card after updating the navigation software through TomTom Home so these aren't files stored on the hardware.

Also in this ttsystem file is a file "contentfs.gz" which contains "contentfs.tar" which contains "rootfs.img.new". This file "rootfs.img.new" has three files that show that this may be an android based system? There are a few different APKs.
- framework-res.apk
- DefaultContainerService.apk (I have seen this on android based phones as a required apk)
- SettingsProvider.apk (I have also seen this on android based phones as a required apk)
- NavApp.apk

I have not actually seen the 2014 interface with Pandora. Where is it integrated at?
So the questions are:
- Do the 2014s have any additional APKs?
- Are there additional files in the ttsystem file that may be loaded somewhere else?

So I am thinking if someone that has a 2014 can run an update to create the files on their SD card and provide me with an .img file of their SD card then maybe I can find where differences in the files may lie.

My biggest question is (and I really wish I had more time and knowledge on this) if this is a linux based system as it appears to be running android files can we not hack the software that is loaded so that it runs a version of the android operating system that would be useful to us? Now I have my hopes up and if time and research permitting I am tempted to figure out how to load drivers to use my usb port to plug in a wifi dongle and run a non stripped down version of android. Wouldn't that just be awesome to be able to use google maps?!?

I wish I was nearly as good at programming as you are. I have no choice but to sit back and watch. At most I can provide files from my 2013 and perhaps part numbers (which I am working on for the 2013 and 2013 tech pack headunits). Thanks a bunch for the contribution, haole. I hope you can continue to provide us insight on this.

ttsystem is "tomtom system". That folder, rootfs.img.new, contains the navcore files for TomTom.

The SD card contains TomTom Navy, that is all, nothing else.
Pandora/Bluetooth works with the SD card removed.
Apk files for Android are simply zip files renamed, same as IPA iPhone files.

Our only hope is that the dealer has some ability to flash the firmware through their systems. Once that is known to be possible then we can talk about putting the 2014 on the 2013. My guess is they dont however and if there is an issue they replace the headunit and send the old back to the factory for reset.

Also in this ttsystem file is a file "contentfs.gz" which contains "contentfs.tar" which contains "rootfs.img.new". This file "rootfs.img.new" has three files that show that this may be an android based system? There are a few different APKs.
- framework-res.apk
- DefaultContainerService.apk (I have seen this on android based phones as a required apk)
- SettingsProvider.apk (I have also seen this on android based phones as a required apk)
- NavApp.apk

.apk's??? I'm curious if this is an Android back end... interesting!

Hopefully a knowledgeable 2014 owner will chime in!

It's for sure an android system.

I decompiled the NavApp.apk and found the android manifest.

One of the classes I found:
.class public Lcom/tomtom/apparch/setting/SafetyLock;
.super Lcom/tomtom/apparch/setting/Setting;
.source "SafetyLock.java"

I'm digging deeper as we speak (my intent is to get rid of the darn speed lock)

Last edited:
It's for sure an android system.

I decompiled the NavApp.apk and found the android manifest.

One of the classes I found:
.class public Lcom/tomtom/apparch/setting/SafetyLock;
.super Lcom/tomtom/apparch/setting/Setting;
.source "SafetyLock.java"

I'm digging deeper as we speak (my intent is to get rid of the darn speed lock)

Okay, so I scoured all files in the ttsystem, decompiled all apks, look at every file I could find. I found a couple references to the radio which I believe is just hardware related to play sound through the speakers. I can not find anything related to the actual radio functions itself, so I think it's safe to say that the radio is it's own beast with it's own code.

Interesting - that makes sense though, as the device feels like two environments (radio / nav).

I'd love to know more about the guts of this thing! Shame it's just Pandora I could give a damn about. :(

I also wonder if the stock headunit (with screen) can be programmed to watch DVD's as well as it does have a DVD drive. Hmm... Much like how BMW's iDrive and Audi's MMI can be reprogrammed to used the front screen for DVD playing.

Don't get me wrong. I don't plan on watching DVD's when I'm driving. Did it once for 5 minutes in a 335d and never again...

I also wonder if the stock headunit (with screen) can be programmed to watch DVD's as well as it does have a DVD drive. Hmm... Much like how BMW's iDrive and Audi's MMI can be reprogrammed to used the front screen for DVD playing.

Don't get me wrong. I don't plan on watching DVD's when I'm driving. Did it once for 5 minutes in a 335d and never again...

It does have a DVD drive?

someone should setup a radio swap get together. That way the people with 2014s that want to listen to MP3s could swap radios with people with 2013s that want the other features.
I'm guessing if you can get the 2013 to run the 2014 software then the mp3s will have the same issues as the 2014

I've already offered this to anyone in the VT/NH/MA area, but no takers. The swap would take no more than 30 minutes and would be very interesting to see the outcome.
someone should setup a radio swap get together. That way the people with 2014s that want to listen to MP3s could swap radios with people with 2013s that want the other features.
I'm guessing if you can get the 2013 to run the 2014 software then the mp3s will have the same issues as the 2014

Back