Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question on CX-5 Keys

Mazda CX-5 Touring w/bose-tech

Quote Originally Posted by Bombadil View Post
    Yes, I know. I just have to find a way to defeat it. There is usually a way.
    i wouldn't count on it, at least not a reasonably feasible way
    the point of the systems like this is to make them hard to defeat and leave the vehicle liable to theft, you'll prolly have to stick with pre-millenial vehicles

or stop wearing skinny jeans

Registered Member

2008 Mazda 3i Sedan- 5MT

Alas for you, the integrated fob/key seems to be the way all manufacturers are going with their car keys. My best friend has always been the same way when it comes to keeping things in his pockets and got real frustrated a few years ago when he replaced his old-ass Grand Am with a new Jetta, has one of the fobs where the key part pops out at the push of a button for the ignition.

However, he did manage to get used to it after a couple of months... it really just boils down to tolerating that little bit of frustration until it becomes normal feeling. I experienced the same thing in reverse when I quit smoking, felt naked walking out without my lighter and cigarette pack in their regular spots. Just a matter of acclimation!

Registered Member

1997 Acura Integra GS-R

Quote Originally Posted by stromdriver View Post
    i wouldn't count on it, at least not a reasonably feasible way
    the point of the systems like this is to make them hard to defeat and leave the vehicle liable to theft, you'll prolly have to stick with pre-millenial vehicles
    Oh, I think the shielded metal box would work. Get a dup metal key made of the smart chip key, which I understand will still unlock the door. That the smart chip isn't needed to unlock the door. Don't have 100% verification of this. But if that works then just put the metal key on my keyring. Keep the smart fob in the shielded box inside the vehicle. Then open the box and push the start button.

Also nice in that I could then use a magnetic spare key box to hide another dup metal key under the vehicle, which would mean I would never get locked out or ever not be able to start the vehicle.
    Last edited by Bombadil; 02-13-2013 at 01:46 PM.

Registered Member

2014 CX5 GT AWD

Pictures of a VW Rabbit fob, and a Mercedes Fob. My Mini fob (not pictured) is round and smaller.
    From Misc

What I'm curious about is an aftermarket 2 way remote car starter. How will it work? I just bought a 2014 GT I wouldn't want an extra set of buttons just to lock/unlock the car..
    Last edited by chinq6t; 02-13-2013 at 02:20 PM.
    In the fam:
    2014 CX5 GT AWD w/ Tech Package
    2010 Mercedes E350 Coupe
    2008 Toyota Trundra Crewmax 5.7L
    2007 VW Rabbit 2.5L

Donated: $15

2013 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech (Mar'12-Jul'14)

Good thread, (even if the 90's are over)....

Registered Member

2014 Mazda CX-5 FWD Touring

...and here I was thinking how awesome it would be to NOT have both a fob and a key. The only argument I could see against the fob is indeed for those people that lose things all the time, I couldn't imagine the cost of replacing one of those fobs/re-programming the locks.

Donated: $15

2013 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech (Mar'12-Jul'14)

Quote Originally Posted by sxa View Post
    ...and here I was thinking how awesome it would be to NOT have both a fob and a key. The only argument I could see against the fob is indeed for those people that lose things all the time, I couldn't imagine the cost of replacing one of those fobs/re-programming the locks.
    Plan on $200 to $300 at full retail to replace. People that lose these things all the time are special, fortunately not big or lucrative market servicing them.

Quote Originally Posted by chinq6t View Post

What I'm curious about is an aftermarket 2 way remote car starter. How will it work? I just bought a 2014 GT I wouldn't want an extra set of buttons just to lock/unlock the car..
    generally you still have to carry factory fob with you when using 3rd party system as a theft prevention measure

Registered Member

1997 Acura Integra GS-R

Quote Originally Posted by CX-SV View Post
    Plan on $200 to $300 at full retail to replace. People that lose these things all the time are special, fortunately not big or lucrative market servicing them.
    Makes one wonder just how much profit there is at those prices. It's not like these are low volume devices. Take say the fob for a Honda CR-V. They sell over 200,000 of those a year, each with 2 fobs. So over three years they are making 1.2M key fobs. Just for CR-Vs in the USA. Using the same fob for Civics and Accords and in multiple countries would mean millions are being manufactured. The cost of production is probably pretty low. But you can't go anywhere else to get one. They have the market cornered for replacement CR-V fobs. And even though you are their customer and bought their big ticket item, they are still going to stiff you for a replacement fob.

If you were buying a remote control for your TV and it had only 4 or 5 buttons on it, there is no way they could charge $200 and get anyone to buy one. I suspect these things are really no more than $10 to $20 items. And if your corner hardware store could dup them, along with the programming, you'd see the prices nosedive.
    Last edited by Bombadil; 02-13-2013 at 02:58 PM.

Registered Member

2014 Mazda CX-5 FWD Touring

Quote Originally Posted by CX-SV View Post
    While I won't say it couldn't happen, I have driven my current car for going on 5 years, I bought it used and the only had one key for it, never bothered getting a spare and so far have never found myself in a situation where I needed a spare or locked my keys in the car. One advantage I see with the fob is that if you have a habit of locking the car with the fob if I walk away and the fob isn't in my hand to lock the door with (I can't recall it happening more than maybe once) I know the keys are still in the car.

Registered Member

1997 Acura Integra GS-R

If I make it through a month without losing a key (at least temporarily for a few hours), that is a good month. Thus the reason for me having 6 sets of keys for each of my cars and my front door.

I have a hidden key to my front door stashed in my yard. I have magnetic key holders under both cars, which I have used several times. I have a small storage locker at my workplace where I keep an office key. Then in a locked drawer in my office, I have a complete set of keys to vehicles and my front door. In my house I have a triplicate set of all keys. Including one set of original keys from which to make duplicates, used many times for this.
    Last edited by Bombadil; 02-13-2013 at 03:05 PM.

Registered Member

2007 Mazda 5 GT 5MT

$260 is what I paid for a replacement switchblade key...

You could get a base model Mazda 3 or Corolla without keyless entry, those just have regular keys with a small transponder at the base:

2012 Mazda 3 GS-Sky 6MT Previously: 2007 Mazda 5 GT 5MT

Registered Member

1997 Acura Integra GS-R

One more question. If I would take the smart key out of the fob and carry it with me, leaving the body of the fob in the car, would that deactivate the fob so that it would not allow anyone to open doors? Seems like it would. As it would not have the security code.

It would also be interesting to remove the smart key from the fob and just leave it laying there, next to it. The fob is the object which is "broadcasting" the security code. I would think the doors and lift gate wouldn't be able to pickup the signal from the unattached smart key.

If this is true, then it will be extremely easy to devise a work around.
    Last edited by Bombadil; 02-13-2013 at 03:15 PM.

Registered Member

CX-5 GT w/Tech

Slow day.

Quote Originally Posted by Bombadil View Post
    One more question. If I would take the smart key out of the fob and carry it with me, leaving the body of the fob in the car, would that deactivate the fob so that it would not allow anyone to open doors? Seems like it would. As it would not have the security code.

It would also be interesting to remove the smart key from the fob and just leave it laying there, next to it. The fob is the object which is "broadcasting" the security code. I would think the doors and lift gate wouldn't be able to pickup the signal from the unattached smart key.

If this is true, then it will be extremely easy to devise a work around.

i dont believe so, the key is 'dumb' all the electronics are in the fob so the car would always think someone is in the car and it would either not lock or allow the touch buttons on GT to be active

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast