Question on CX-5 Keys

...and here I was thinking how awesome it would be to NOT have both a fob and a key. The only argument I could see against the fob is indeed for those people that lose things all the time, I couldn't imagine the cost of replacing one of those fobs/re-programming the locks.

...and here I was thinking how awesome it would be to NOT have both a fob and a key. The only argument I could see against the fob is indeed for those people that lose things all the time, I couldn't imagine the cost of replacing one of those fobs/re-programming the locks.

Plan on $200 to $300 at full retail to replace. People that lose these things all the time are special, fortunately not big or lucrative market servicing them.

What I'm curious about is an aftermarket 2 way remote car starter. How will it work? I just bought a 2014 GT I wouldn't want an extra set of buttons just to lock/unlock the car..

generally you still have to carry factory fob with you when using 3rd party system as a theft prevention measure

Plan on $200 to $300 at full retail to replace. People that lose these things all the time are special, fortunately not big or lucrative market servicing them.

Makes one wonder just how much profit there is at those prices. It's not like these are low volume devices. Take say the fob for a Honda CR-V. They sell over 200,000 of those a year, each with 2 fobs. So over three years they are making 1.2M key fobs. Just for CR-Vs in the USA. Using the same fob for Civics and Accords and in multiple countries would mean millions are being manufactured. The cost of production is probably pretty low. But you can't go anywhere else to get one. They have the market cornered for replacement CR-V fobs. And even though you are their customer and bought their big ticket item, they are still going to stiff you for a replacement fob.

If you were buying a remote control for your TV and it had only 4 or 5 buttons on it, there is no way they could charge $200 and get anyone to buy one. I suspect these things are really no more than $10 to $20 items. And if your corner hardware store could dup them, along with the programming, you'd see the prices nosedive.

Last edited:

While I won't say it couldn't happen, I have driven my current car for going on 5 years, I bought it used and the only had one key for it, never bothered getting a spare and so far have never found myself in a situation where I needed a spare or locked my keys in the car. One advantage I see with the fob is that if you have a habit of locking the car with the fob if I walk away and the fob isn't in my hand to lock the door with (I can't recall it happening more than maybe once) I know the keys are still in the car.

If I make it through a month without losing a key (at least temporarily for a few hours), that is a good month. Thus the reason for me having 6 sets of keys for each of my cars and my front door.

I have a hidden key to my front door stashed in my yard. I have magnetic key holders under both cars, which I have used several times. I have a small storage locker at my workplace where I keep an office key. Then in a locked drawer in my office, I have a complete set of keys to vehicles and my front door. In my house I have a triplicate set of all keys. Including one set of original keys from which to make duplicates, used many times for this.

Last edited:
$260 is what I paid for a replacement switchblade key...

You could get a base model Mazda 3 or Corolla without keyless entry, those just have regular keys with a small transponder at the base:

sku_16377_1.jpg

One more question. If I would take the smart key out of the fob and carry it with me, leaving the body of the fob in the car, would that deactivate the fob so that it would not allow anyone to open doors? Seems like it would. As it would not have the security code.

It would also be interesting to remove the smart key from the fob and just leave it laying there, next to it. The fob is the object which is "broadcasting" the security code. I would think the doors and lift gate wouldn't be able to pickup the signal from the unattached smart key.

If this is true, then it will be extremely easy to devise a work around.

Last edited:
One more question. If I would take the smart key out of the fob and carry it with me, leaving the body of the fob in the car, would that deactivate the fob so that it would not allow anyone to open doors? Seems like it would. As it would not have the security code.

It would also be interesting to remove the smart key from the fob and just leave it laying there, next to it. The fob is the object which is "broadcasting" the security code. I would think the doors and lift gate wouldn't be able to pickup the signal from the unattached smart key.

If this is true, then it will be extremely easy to devise a work around.

i dont believe so, the key is 'dumb' all the electronics are in the fob so the car would always think someone is in the car and it would either not lock or allow the touch buttons on GT to be active

i dont believe so, the key is 'dumb' all the electronics are in the fob so the car would always think someone is in the car and it would either not lock or allow the touch buttons on GT to be active

There is a little plastic "box" on the key. I thought that might be the smart chip or SIMM-equivalent. Else, why is it there?

Have you taken the key out and tried to use the fob? Or taken the key out, put it well away from the vehicle, had the fob with you and was able to start the car?

Seems to me you are going through a whole lot of trouble to avoid carrying an item that is smaller than a pack of gum. I carry a S&W .380 in a pocket holster in one pocket and a phone in the other. Carrying a small key fob isn't an issue at all for me... but everyone is different I suppose.

My iphone is bigger and heavier than my CX-5 key fob (and my knife that I sometimes have on a belt clip).

Seems to me you are going through a whole lot of trouble to avoid carrying an item that is smaller than a pack of gum. I carry a S&W .380 in a pocket holster in one pocket and a phone in the other. Carrying a small key fob isn't an issue at all for me... but everyone is different I suppose.

Yes, this is a big issue with me. And this really isn't much trouble. It is fun to try to solve.

I don't know why but bulky things in my pocket irritate me. I once had a small multi-tool on my keychain, smaller than this key fob. It was handy. But it drove me crazy. After about 3 months I tossed it. Same for another attempt at putting a small flashlight on my keychain. I know myself. This thing is going to bug me and I will be taking it out of my pocket all of the time and I'm going to leave it at restaurants, sporting events, or who knows where. I know because I've done these things many times in my life. I don't want to be paying $200-$300 every 6 months for a new one. Someone here might say they can carry a 2 liter bottle of Coke in their pocket, that doesn't really matter to me.

I do appreciate the helpful comments many have provided. If someone can test out their fob by removing the key and seeing if it is still fully functional, then that would be appreciated. I guess I will eventually drop back by the dealer and test various things.

Back