Resuming Playback with 2014 CX-5 GT Tech Stereo and other issues

I have some very interesting news. I sold my CX-5 recently, and I sold off a lot of stuff I had bought for it. The last thing I sold were my wheels and snow tires to a guy I work with who just bought a 2014 CX-5 Sport. As we were talking about the car, I asked if he had the iPod issue, figuring he would of course say yes. But he was just confused and asked what iPod issue? I explained and he said nope, mine starts right where I left off every time. I was floored of course and told him he was the only one I had ever heard of that didn't have the issue.

I thought about it later and wondered if he was using Bluetooth. Next time I saw him, I asked, and he said no, he uses the USB cable with his iPod. He also said he double checked after talking to me and said it for sure starts right where he left off every time. So I then thought maybe it is his iPod and asked to see it. I can't say for sure, but it looked like one of these iPod Classics. He said he didn't know the model, but that someone gave it to him last year for Christmas, so it must have fairly new software.

Anyway, thought I 'd share. If I still had the car I would be buying one of these iPods for sure just to see if it worked.

CX-5 Sport (base model) uses a different, basic H/U not affected by "high tech" issues.

Not something I would ever do. No playlist support in the 2013 model, but that's just me...

I preferred being able to throw an MP3 file into a folder named whatever I wanted, and play music directly out of that folder, opposed to having to make sure my music (which comes from many sources) all have the appropriate meta data so that they all appear under one artist/album etc.. Now I have to take the extra step of putting thousdans of songs into play lists so when I turn my H/U on don't see 1/1233 songs (or more if I add more from my PC) in the same folder...and then when I select "system of a down" for example, there is one option, with one song under it lol (and the rest are scattered based on meta data).. when I have 75+ songs from them on the flash drive.

I actually agree with a lot of what you say Chris. I also have been gathering an extensive collection on mp3s over the past 15 years from different sources, and browsing through them on this somewhat crappy H/U is not fun. On the other hand, I don't think anyone should be browsing their music while driving. The 2014+ H/U at least opens up the possibility of saying "play album Mezmerize" out loud and my favorite System of a Down album starts playing.

As for playlists, I just like to categorize my music in ways that would be redundant with folders. For example, the song "Old School Hollywood" could be in a "System of a Down" folder, or a "Rock" folder, or a "Keep me Awake" folder. Playlists give me all of these possibilities without having the same song in three different places...

I actually agree with a lot of what you say Chris. I also have been gathering an extensive collection on mp3s over the past 15 years from different sources, and browsing through them on this somewhat crappy H/U is not fun. On the other hand, I don't think anyone should be browsing their music while driving. The 2014+ H/U at least opens up the possibility of saying "play album Mezmerize" out loud and my favorite System of a Down album starts playing.

As for playlists, I just like to categorize my music in ways that would be redundant with folders. For example, the song "Old School Hollywood" could be in a "System of a Down" folder, or a "Rock" folder, or a "Keep me Awake" folder. Playlists give me all of these possibilities without having the same song in three different places...

I agree, however the issue is that I have to go through thousands of songs to edit the meta data to ensure smooth operation under gracenote software in our new H/U's.

I have some very interesting news. I sold my CX-5 recently, and I sold off a lot of stuff I had bought for it. The last thing I sold were my wheels and snow tires to a guy I work with who just bought a 2014 CX-5 Sport. As we were talking about the car, I asked if he had the iPod issue, figuring he would of course say yes. But he was just confused and asked what iPod issue? I explained and he said nope, mine starts right where I left off every time. I was floored of course and told him he was the only one I had ever heard of that didn't have the issue.

I thought about it later and wondered if he was using Bluetooth. Next time I saw him, I asked, and he said no, he uses the USB cable with his iPod. He also said he double checked after talking to me and said it for sure starts right where he left off every time. So I then thought maybe it is his iPod and asked to see it. I can't say for sure, but it looked like one of these iPod Classics. He said he didn't know the model, but that someone gave it to him last year for Christmas, so it must have fairly new software.

Anyway, thought I 'd share. If I still had the car I would be buying one of these iPods for sure just to see if it worked.

Picked up a 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage DE?

I agree, however the issue is that I have to go through thousands of songs to edit the meta data to ensure smooth operation under gracenote software in our new H/U's.

Yeah. On many of my mp3 files you can still hear the scratch and pop of the vinyl record they were encoded from. I had to fill in the meta-tags myself, so I feel your pain. It's well worth it though since most modern mp3 players work with tags now.

BTW, there are software that scans your files and use "Shazam" type algorithms to tag your songs automatically. I don't have a name but you can search for it. I used something like that years ago with some success. It's probably way better these days... It might be worth looking into.

Edit: Here are a few links to start with:

https://musicbrainz.org/doc/MusicBrainz_Picard
http:// http://www.jthink.net/songkong/index.jsp

Last edited:
Yeah. On many of my mp3 files you can still hear the scratch and pop of the vinyl record they were encoded from. I had to fill in the meta-tags myself, so I feel your pain. It's well worth it though since most modern mp3 players work with tags now.

BTW, there are software that scans your files and use "Shazam" type algorithms to tag your songs automatically. I don't have a name but you can search for it. I used something like that years ago with some success. It's probably way better these days... It might be worth looking into.

Edit: Here are a few links to start with:

https://musicbrainz.org/doc/MusicBrainz_Picard
http:// http://www.jthink.net/songkong/index.jsp
Thanks

I just called Mazda Customer Service and I think they were great. Chris said that Mazda is aware of all the issues I complained about and that they are working with the software company that developed the software. He mentioned there seems to be an update coming up this October 2014, however it is not certain as things can change.

What he suggested is that customers who have any issue with its infotainment system to call Customer Service and obtain a file number or ticket. He said he is collecting a list of issues so that the responsible software company addresses it.

Here is the number: 1800 222 5500 option 6 option 2 dial ext 1176

These are the issues I complained about
1. Voice Recognition that never gets anything right specially when searching for an address
2. Resume playing on USB after a car restart - this is very annoying and is a safety concern as you might be driving and trying to find the song where you left off before
3. Message downloading - apart from being super slow, sometimes finds errors and stops downloading
4. Safety Lock message - He said this is a designed but I guess you can still complain
5. Entering addresses on Map while driving is disabled - again as designed but you can still complain

In summary, as long we don't complain they wont fix it. So call that number and open a complaint. He said he will call me or email me when the update is available.

Honestly, I've just about given up. Crutchfield has a few units for $270-370 that do everything the factory unit is supposed to do...but probably better. After 6 months of owning this vehicle I'm not sure I can wait any longer. If I don't see reports in the next few weeks I'm pulling the unit out.

The odd thing is RobbyCX-9 I've seen a memo stating that the replacement module is what fixes it and i'm just awaiting it being delivered to my local dealer to then get it fixed. When I get it fixed I'm going to ask for a copy of the memo to post here and other places so that other people can bring it up with their dealers to sort out.

I'm expecting the unit to be at the dealers in the next week or two so will let you all know how it goes.

The odd thing is RobbyCX-9 I've seen a memo stating that the replacement module is what fixes it and i'm just awaiting it being delivered to my local dealer to then get it fixed.

Don't get your hopes up, we've heard that before.

:( Well, let's see. I have to take the car for service. I will talk to the dealer and see if he has something to say.

So, what you are saying is that there is actually a module to be replaced to fix all these issues apart from a software update.

The odd thing is RobbyCX-9 I've seen a memo stating that the replacement module is what fixes it and i'm just awaiting it being delivered to my local dealer to then get it fixed. When I get it fixed I'm going to ask for a copy of the memo to post here and other places so that other people can bring it up with their dealers to sort out.
monkeybutt, RobbyCX-9 is in the US. On this side of the Atlantic, Mazda hasn't released the replacement module (that's already apparently released in the EU.)

So, Mazda UK has acknowledged the issue and are sending out modules (apparently with updated firmware) to fix the problem. MazdaUSA is still acting like everything works as designed, but is saying that there might be an update some time in the future to resolve the issues which (they claim) aren't actually faults.

Same thing happened with the vibrating side mirrors: UK customers had fixes for a year before MazdaUSA acknowledged the issue (and then put out a fix very similar to the one in the UK.)

Apologies for being the newbie here, but I joined this forum just so I can get involved in this specific discussion.

Got a new CX-5 here in the UK on 25th April '14, and love the car itself... but realised within days that the infotainment system implementation of USB and Bluetooth is woeful.

Now to the fun part. Complained in writing to both my dealer and Mazda UK on 29th April with the list of issues I was experiencing (USB painfully slow to read, 1st track playback resume, the 'same sequence' shuffle feature, shuffle disable on restart, Bluetooth slow to connect, re-download of address book every time, Bluetooth Media Audio force enable). On 11th July the dealer/Mazda acknowledged they had an issue, and by 29th July informed me that a new fixed Bluetooth/USB module (Part Code - NGH9P66DH0F) was on its way. The new part was fitted on 6th August and appeared to resolve at least the USB issues :), though not the Bluetooth ones :(.

On the 10th September however, the new module decided to stop functioning causing the infotainment system to be almost unusable in any meaningful way. Car was booked back into dealer for 30th September and communication with Mazda UK restarted. Today (30th September), and somewhat belatedly since the car is currently with my dealer, Mazda confirmed that a 3rd version of the Bluetooth Module (Part Code - GHP9-66-DH0Z) is now available, and could be fitted. Unfortunately, as the dealer doesn't yet have stock of this latest part, they have therefore only been able to swap like for like and refit another of the last variant, but have placed the newest part on order.

So, as and when the 3rd variant arrives in due course, the dealer has committed to fit it and my CX-5 will be on its 4th physical Bluetooth/USB module in its short but eventful life. In the meantime I've asked Mazda UK to provide more detail on the technical changes/improvements between Module Mk 2 and Module Mk 3, so at least I know what I've got to look forward to.

But..., and here's the kicker, despite all this Mazda UK had the honesty to inform me that the latest incarnation still does not fix all the issues raised, and the remaining functionality problems remain 'under investigation'. It therefore looks likely that a Mk 4 could be released, with another swap necessary, unless of course they find a way to update the module in-situ.

I will provide further details if I get any of the technical info I requested, and will supply updates on my system testing of Mk 3 as and when it's installed.

Good luck to you all.

I'm thinking that Apple really missed an opportunity here. Instead of wasting R&D effort on the stupid iWatch they should have fast-tracked CarPlay several years ago. It makes so much more sense to push software updates to a phone than to replace a hardware module every time you need to update the car's entertainment software.

I can't believe that they need to physically switch hardware to install an update either, especially in this day and age. I just wish Mazda had spent more time on usability testing their system before unleashing it on us poor sods. Surely it can't be that difficult?

I had a Hyundai iX35 before the CX-5, and apart from one minor niggle with the shuffle feature deactivating every time you switch the ignition off, my experience was that they nailed the Bluetooth and USB implementation on their system.

I have been off line for a bit as I lost my job and between all the things that happening the dealer was still calling me at my work phone number and emailing me there too...
My module will be replaced tomorrow (October 1, 2014) which is exactly 10 months after I complained about this for the first time.

I will report back tomorrow later with updates. The fitting will take about 45 minutes (time for a free coffee and a chat with the supervisor).

Latest posts

Back