Resuming Playback with 2014 CX-5 GT Tech Stereo and other issues

Had to take my 4.5 month old 2014 CX-5 Touring in to the dealership this morning to diagnose an exhaust odor in the cabin. While I was there I mentioned to the service manager the various entertainment system issues I've experienced and asked if he was aware of any corrective action in work. He said he'd heard "only a few" complaints about the entertainment system and/or Bluetooth issues, and that there was a Mazda bluetooth number to call to report issues. He also said that he has observed that most 2014 entertainment systems have software version 27 while the current version is 31. So he said he would go ahead and install version 31 while my vehicle was in the shop. I'll report back later today whether it makes any difference.

Is there any way to check on screen what infotainment system version the CX has?Like some NAV units that can tell you what version the vehicle has.

I've just had my new USB unit fitted by my dealer, but it's a bit of a mixed bag.

I had a USB disk in with only a small amount of songs (around 500 I think), and when I turned the car off for a while and turned it back on it started where it had stopped (after around 30 seconds). In my enthusiasm, I thought things were fixed, so copied all the rest of my music onto the USB (around 6000 tracks). Next time I got back into the car it did start from the same track it stopped at previously but the screen wasn't fully updated, when it got to the end of that track, rather than playing the next in sequence from that album / folder, it reverted to the first track on the USB?

I think it seems to be an issue with the disk still being indexed again so whilst it's remembered what the last track was to be played, it hasn't yet created a full index so doesn't know what the next track should be so reverts to the usual nonsense of just playing the first one on the disk. If I try and go into the artist / album lists during this time they are blank so that's what's leading me to this conclusion, but if I leave it longer they do all appear.

I've tried thinning out the amount of tracks and give the car a longer drive to see if can successfully index the whole disk and then play consistently, but the new unit is a bit less than I was hoping for. I can only imagine that if it resumes at the end of the track you were last listening to it will revert to the very beginning of the disk no matter how few tracks are on the disk.

I'm not sure if a USB 3.0 disk would work any better as I know they are faster, but for what it's worth I'm testing this with a 32Gb USB2 drive.

I've just had my new USB unit fitted by my dealer, but it's a bit of a mixed bag.

I had a USB disk in with only a small amount of songs (around 500 I think), and when I turned the car off for a while and turned it back on it started where it had stopped (after around 30 seconds). In my enthusiasm, I thought things were fixed, so copied all the rest of my music onto the USB (around 6000 tracks). Next time I got back into the car it did start from the same track it stopped at previously but the screen wasn't fully updated, when it got to the end of that track, rather than playing the next in sequence from that album / folder, it reverted to the first track on the USB?

I think it seems to be an issue with the disk still being indexed again so whilst it's remembered what the last track was to be played, it hasn't yet created a full index so doesn't know what the next track should be so reverts to the usual nonsense of just playing the first one on the disk. If I try and go into the artist / album lists during this time they are blank so that's what's leading me to this conclusion, but if I leave it longer they do all appear.

I've tried thinning out the amount of tracks and give the car a longer drive to see if can successfully index the whole disk and then play consistently, but the new unit is a bit less than I was hoping for. I can only imagine that if it resumes at the end of the track you were last listening to it will revert to the very beginning of the disk no matter how few tracks are on the disk.

I'm not sure if a USB 3.0 disk would work any better as I know they are faster, but for what it's worth I'm testing this with a 32Gb USB2 drive.
That sounds more annoying than not resuming playback. No way Mazda could say that is working "as designed".

That sounds more annoying than not resuming playback. No way Mazda could say that is working "as designed".
Sure they could. I have an service ticket documenting the following scenario as "working as designed":

Have two playlists on a 5th generation iPod: one named "Adult Comedy" (containing "mature" comedy acts) and another named "Children's Music" (containing rated "G" music.) Plug the ipod in, wait for it to start going, and then select the "Children's Music" playlist. Instead of playing tracks from "playhouse disney", it might start playing George Carlin's "Seven Words You Can Never Say on Television" from "Class Clown." (In other words, it ALWAYS plays from the first playlist on the device, regardless of which one is actually selected.)

I have a "G" rated demo of this on youtube: http://youtu.be/kDyDdyXfChA

Edit:

The above playlist issue apparently only happens with "classic" style ipods (with spinning hard drives) and not with "iOS" devices. It shouldn't matter: the 5th gen iPod is listed on the mazda website as one they support.

Last edited:
Dear Mr. urBan_dK,

We apologize for any inconvenience you have encountered with the iPOD playback function in your 2015 Mazda CX-5. With a media device connected to the USB port, your music playlist will start from the beginning each time the vehicle is started. This is considered a normal function of the vehicle infotainment system in reading your digital playback device.

Mazda is committed to constantly improving our products and services based on our customer feedback. A software update that enhances the compatibility of your Mazda's infotainment system and your media device is in the works but no ETA is available in regards to its release. Owner's will receive notification in the mail once this update becomes available to your local Mazda dealership. In the meantime, we continue to encourage our owners to stream their music through either your vehicles Bluetooth system or by connecting your iPod through your vehicles AUX input.

Should you have additional questions or feedback, please contact me at the number below and reference your Service Request number.

Sincerely,

Jose F.

I supoose waiting 5 minutes for it to start playing the first track on your iPod is also normal? I could survive if I could use voice activation to change it before leaving my driveway...but nope.

A quick update to my notes above. I've now changed my USB drive to a Sandisk compact 64Gb USB 3.0 drive as per ebay link below;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111433113283?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

My playback starts consistently now every time from the USB, I'm not too sure why they older smaller USB 2.0's didn't and the garage didn't know what type of port was in the car but for what it's worth this is working better for me.

What still doesn't work is the second track to play. The first track that resumes always shows 1/1 on the display until the disk has been fully read (about 4 minutes for me with my 6000 tracks). The odd thing is when it finishes reading the disk it's 50/50 over whether it changes to 1/10 for where it is on that album or 2345/6000 i.e. the alphabetic position of that track on the disk. Depending on what it changes to I either get the next track on the album/folder or I get the next track alphabetically from the whole 6000 track list.

I've fed back to the garage and they are feeding back to Mazda, but would be interested to hear if anyone else has got the new USB hardware fitted and is getting on any better?

Fix for 2015 CX-7 Bose/Nav?

So, I have a 2015 (just picked up yesterday 9/05/14 off the showroom floor). I assume this is a new fix that could apply to the 2015 too? I have not had the car for 24 hours and I HATE the UBS and HATE having to use "voice" to put my iPhone 5s into "shuffle" when in BT mode. Neither of BT or UBS for iPhone 5s are worth a crap :(

I only collected my new CX-5 about 4 weeks ago (July 2014) and have been back and forth through this forum and with my local Mazda dealer and UK customer services (0345 748 4848).

Good news, I spoke to customer services (11th Aug 2014), and they've confirmed that the new USB part to fix this issue (slow to read and memory of last song being played) is now available and will be provided to me free of charge. I was advised to contact the dealer and get them to order the part in, which they have done. I don't have a fitting date yet but I'm really hoping this fixes the USB playback issues, as otherwise I'm really happy with the CX-5.

I hope this is the fix everyone is hoping for and it's made available to all countries.

Dear Paul

Re: USB CX-5
Mazda ref: xxxxxxx

Thank you for your correspondence relating to the USB playback in your CX-5 vehicle.

Mazda Corporation has confirmed that moving forward, most technology is heading towards Bluetooth, as this is now the primary connection rather than USB.

However on behalf of our customers we have communicated that many consumers still prefer USB technology. As such there are plans to develop a new hardware change soon.

Once we have further information we will be happy to let you know. We have provided the above reference number as confirmation.

We once again apologise for any inconvenience encountered.

Regards
Mazda Australia

Mazda Corporation has confirmed that moving forward, most technology is heading towards Bluetooth, as this is now the primary connection rather than USB.

This reads to me like a thinly veiled "F.U.".

Of course one might wonder, then, why they bother installing a CD player since that is even more ancient technology that they apparently deem irrelevant.

Well, I called into Mazda US today and I was told there are a number of complaints and that the issue is being looked into for a software release but the support personnel could not confirm when this "release" would happen. Over on the Apple forms a fellow in the UK took his CX-5 in and got some "module" update that help the issues (but did not completely solve the problems). He supplied a number but that number came up with no matches here in the US.

@ Ulrich - I have the same 2015, Deep Crystal Blue/Sand but now I need to figure out what are Katzkins Seats!!

Last edited:
Has anyone tried installing the proper working 2013 cx-5 head unit into a wonky 2014/2015?

Just as a update back to the same problem. I've got a CX-5 over in the UK and whilst taking the car in for some modifications I should have had when I bought it that only just arrived about 5 months after purchase.... (that's another story all together)... I happened to mention to the service guy about the issue with MP3 playback.

He straight away said- yep there is a known issue and if my car was shown as having the problematic module he would let me know, order it and when it arrived in a couple of weeks - Install it. When I came back to collect the car an hour later he confirmed that it was eligible and that he would order it and even showed me a memo from mazda listing not just that fault, but other things that weren't quite right with it.

I didn't get chance to read the memo properly as I had to dash off but when I go back to get the module fitted I'll try and take a copy or photo of the memo on my phone. He didn't seem to think it was a big deal and just offered to swap it - so I'm assuming Mazda have identified it as an issue but aren't classing it as a recall issue and only wanting to sort if somebody raises the issue?

I'll let everyone know how I get on and report back with info about the memo and module when I get it fitted.

**Also, forgot to mention - The memo also said it was applicable to mazda 6 too **

I have some very interesting news. I sold my CX-5 recently, and I sold off a lot of stuff I had bought for it. The last thing I sold were my wheels and snow tires to a guy I work with who just bought a 2014 CX-5 Sport. As we were talking about the car, I asked if he had the iPod issue, figuring he would of course say yes. But he was just confused and asked what iPod issue? I explained and he said nope, mine starts right where I left off every time. I was floored of course and told him he was the only one I had ever heard of that didn't have the issue.

I thought about it later and wondered if he was using Bluetooth. Next time I saw him, I asked, and he said no, he uses the USB cable with his iPod. He also said he double checked after talking to me and said it for sure starts right where he left off every time. So I then thought maybe it is his iPod and asked to see it. I can't say for sure, but it looked like one of these iPod Classics. He said he didn't know the model, but that someone gave it to him last year for Christmas, so it must have fairly new software.

Anyway, thought I 'd share. If I still had the car I would be buying one of these iPods for sure just to see if it worked.

Any chance his is a 2013 instead of a 2014?? From what I understand, this resume playback issue affects the 2014 (and 2015) model....but the 2013 has a different head unit or different module and therefore resumes play where one leaves off previously.

Bon

Back