Headrests in your way? Here is what I did. . . . .

chemvw

:
2012 Mazda5 6-speed
The Mazda5 2012+ models have annoyingly large headrests in the third row. Perhaps many of you do not have your 3rd seats up that often, but this family is always using that back row and those headrests are too low or too high in my opinion. Therefore, I got out my imitation dremel tool and cutting wheel and modified the headrest shaft to give it two more notches so now it is adjustable. Not sure why Mazda didn't make them this way to start with. I probably violated some stress test safety precaution by doing this, but at least now my kids can sit more comfortably and I can see a little more out the back window.

0204131613a.jpg

Here is my imitation dremel tool beginning to make one of the notches above the existing factory notch.

0204131613.jpg

I spaced my notches about 2 inches apart. I kept going back to the car and inserting the headrest until I felt like the catch and the notch were secure enough that my kids wouldn't have any difficulty with the height positioning.

0204131628.jpg

Here you can see the three notches, bottom one is the factory notch, and then my crudely scratched ones above it.

0204131629.jpg

Now I have much more visibility as each headrest is about 4 inches lower than before. I may make another notch down the road after I have driven and had the kids sit back there to give me some feedback.

I realize this is likely not useful to many out there, but it was a nice afternoon for Feb. 4 and I had my camera phone on me so here you go.

I used fuel tubing cut lengthwise for our MZ5. Two pieces, equal length, for varying height depending on how big the kid was. Quick and easy.

I used fuel tubing cut lengthwise for our MZ5. Two pieces, equal length, for varying height depending on how big the kid was. Quick and easy.

Can you elaborate? Do you mean you created a collar to hold the headrest at a certain height based on the length of the fuel tubing?

Thanks

Can you elaborate? Do you mean you created a collar to hold the headrest at a certain height based on the length of the fuel tubing?

Thanks

Yes, exactly. More of a sleeve than a collar. Two lengths of fuel tubing. Use one for small kids, two for big kids.

This is a very useful thread. I will be performing this notch cut on mine now that you prompted my attention on it.

I did a similar type of notch on a Suburban to allow the headrest to be removed without tools. Had not thought about intermediate notches to allow more accurate positioning of the headrest until I saw this!

I took out the third row headrests to perform this mod. I added some additional slots for other height positions about 2 inches apart. The top most slot is cut a 1/4 lower than the others - a rather arbitrary decision on my part.

16147831_large.jpg

16147846_large.jpg

My kids are too short to be concerned about the headrests on the second row. But the driver's visibility out the rear is greatly improved by folding down the second row headrests. Forward folding the headrests is unpleasant for the second row occupants. So I turn the headrests BACKWARDS and fold them down

16147830_large.jpg

So I cut a slot on the opposite post of the headrest so it can be locked into position. I mean if we are already compromising the original post safety integrity by slotting these things, we should at least ensure the headrest is secure. No one wants headrests flying around in an accident.

16147832_large.jpg

Since the slot needs to be cut so close to the fabric, I taped it back so it would not get damaged by the cutting tool.

Interesting that Mazda deliberately made the headrest posts different widths between the three rows. The headrests are not interchangeable between the three rows.

Thanks again to chemvw for the inspiration!

Last edited:
Back