White smoke...jerky acceleration...knocking noise...please help

:
2008 mazda 3
So the white smoke comes and goes out of the tailpipe. After having a mechanic friend look at it we went to get gas and the car started acting funky...after taking off from a stop it would start jerking a little during acceleration....not to bad. Oh and it also felt sluggish while trying to move. There was also a ticking or knocking sound coming from the front passenger side of car or engine compartment...almost sounds like it was running out of gas but there is plenty in car. Of course it didnt do any of this while driving around with mechanic guy so any and all help is appreciated. Thanks.

this all start right after you changed your oil? Did you overfill?

your mechanic friend....does he know anything or is this why you're posting here?

No i dont think i over filled and yes he knows what hes doing. All this crap happened after he left the house and we went out to get gas in car. And im posting here because its a forum and people are aloud to post here to try and find answers...which is what im doing...ASKING QUESTIONS.

You're just not providing enough information man.
What were the last things you've done iwth the car? clean the MAF? oil a k&N filter? etc.

Am I missing where it says an oil change was performed? Lets start with a few questions. Do you have anything done to the car performance wise. Is there any CEL's? If you get behind the car while smoke is coming out, does it smell sweet? Is the knocking/ticking you hear metallic sounding? If an oil change was performed how much oil came out of the car, did you notice water or any metal shavings? and last, how much oil did you put back in?

I have been gone...as is not living with my girl for 11 months...so besides her getting the oil changed when needed nothing else has been done. And now all of this. So yes I changed the oil and added some trans fluid. There are no aftermarket mods...its all original. I added 5qts of motor oil when I changed it. Ummmm yes the smell was a little sweet. But no thinking about it the spark plugs and fuel filter have never been changed....again she doesnt think of this stuff or getting any kind of major or minor service done. So maybe one or both of those is the problem? Oh and the car has 82,000 miles on it.

I have been gone...as is not living with my girl for 11 months...so besides her getting the oil changed when needed nothing else has been done. And now all of this. So yes I changed the oil and added some trans fluid. There are no aftermarket mods...its all original. I added 5qts of motor oil when I changed it. Ummmm yes the smell was a little sweet. But no thinking about it the spark plugs and fuel filter have never been changed....again she doesnt think of this stuff or getting any kind of major or minor service done. So maybe one or both of those is the problem? Oh and the car has 82,000 miles on it.

hmmm. The reason I was asking about a sweet smell is because if it's white and smells sweeter it could be a head gasket. Get a tester from an auto store and check it. Also as for ticking it could be a valve, but if it is metallic it could be from oil starvation and a bearing went bad...etc...as for jerking and all that check your spark plugs and wires and make sure the gap is good.

Thanks Ish...so the tester will test the smoke? And I was thinking of changing the spark plugs cuz they probably need to be changed anyways.

Thanks Ish...so the tester will test the smoke? And I was thinking of changing the spark plugs cuz they probably need to be changed anyways.

the tester sits where the radiator cap would go and it is filled with a liquid. if the head gasket is bad or there is a crack the fluid in the tester changes color and it only changes when exhaust gasses are present in the coolant from a leak. You can rent one from a local auto shop for cheap and they rent fluid too. its cheaper and easier than doing an oil change to see if it is mixed...

Ok so no im not a super car guy...so sorry if what i say doesnt make sense or sound right. After removing the spark plugs one was really bad...dark or looked burnt. So looking down into the whole where it came out of there was oil...not alot but some where the others where dry. So the mechanic guy that was looking at it said it could be the cylinder rings but who knows. Thats as far as we got. No further test were done. He wants me to take it down to his shop Monday. He also said there might be something with the fuel flow...driving around it still sounds from time to time like its gonna run out of gas and I looked online at fuel filters and some say it doesnt have one or its in the tank. Again sorry if none of this makes sense but I try to explain as simple as possible. Thanks. Oh its a 2008 Mazda 3 with 82,000 miles.

If one cylinder is black, then oil is getting in via, the valve seals, piston rings, or head gasket... In that order of likely-ness.

Back