Calling all European CX-5 owners. (rear fog light)

SayNoToPistons

Wheels, not rims...
:
CX-5 GT AWD w/ Tech, RX-8 GT 6spd w/ 'goodies'
I am looking to develop a rear fog light for the CX-5. I am aware that in Europe, most if not all cars sold are required to have a rear foglight. This of course includes the CX-5 (I hope). I am not sure where the rear the fog light for the CX-5 is located, but I will assume that it is where the two red reflectors are, which is mounted into the unpainted lower section of the bumper cover. See picture below if needed.

What I need to know is if you guys across the pond have actually have a dedicated rear fog light for your CX-5's. I have not been able to find part numbers for it, nor have I found pictures of the dedicated rear fog light switch. So it would be appreciated if you guys can inform me whether or not the rear fog light exists on your cars and if you can take a picture of the switch for the rear fog light.

8320017458_8a6d863b3d_b.jpg

My RX-8 did not come with a rear fog light, but I have made one myself. It is stealthy and looks completely invisible when off. When it is on, it is lit by my custom built unit with quite a few bright SMD (LED's), with proper load resistance, and a dedicated PCB. Of course it is weather proof as well. A nice aesthetic addition, on top of the fact that it adds safety on rainy/foggy drives. I have made a few for others on RX8Club, but as of now I am not concerned about selling any for CX-5 users. At this moment, I am simply interested in making a unit for myself. Admins take notice, as I am not a 'vendor'. Here is a not-so-good picture of the rear of my RX-8 with the fog light lit.

7123919805_870c9f207f_b.jpg
[/url]
beltback8 by SayNoToPistons, on Flickr[/img]

Others on RX8club with a very similar unit, but with about six less LED's.

bb11185d.jpg

SAM_0356.jpg

Hi Saynotopistons!
Hope these pics help.
The warning lights are for lights, rear fog and front fog.
The switch is contained in the light stalk on the steering wheel, the lights have to be on, then the rotar switch for fogs front and /or back, which is spring loaded and returns to front fog position. Sorry but there is no dedicated switch
The rear fog light is on the drivers side only.
Hope this is what you needed, sorry about pic quality of switch but auto focus kept going onto start button.......
Best wishes

JY
Snowy NE England

DSCF1474.JPGDSCF1471.JPGDSCF1467.JPGDSCF1465.JPGDSCF1469.JPG

Hey SayNoToPistons,I ran across these JDM part numbers on a Mazda forum they are both left and right fog/stop lights that replace current Oem reflectors.I think? KD31-51-5MO and KD31-51-5LO.If you find someone who ships to US,please make me aware.Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I will definitely look into that. Mazmart might be able to look into it. I'll be in contact with them.

If you look closely at the rear reflector on Us models, you can see that there is a space in the lower third that can accommodate a bulb. This is confirmed when looking underneath the rear bumper at the back of the reflector and you will notice a black bulb holder. Other than figuring out how to wire the bulb into the socket, to be fully integrated, the light control stalk on the steering column would have to be replaced with the one that is fitted on the Euro models. Definitely not as easy as just replacing the light control switch on my BMW's with a Euro spec one to activate the rear fogs that are already installed. If I'm not up to the challenge, I may go the easier route of adding a generic rear fog similar to what the following pic shows but underneath the bumper rather than on top:

41FZrtr%2BNnL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

ebbf0e5c.jpg

I have accessed the panel on the wheel well and did take a quick glance at the back of the reflector housing. I can't confirm yet whether or not it will accept an actual bulb, though I will look into it once it warms up even for me to put it on jack stands and remove the wheels.

I am currently in contact with MazMart concerning rear fog lights from Euro/Japanese markets. The provided parts numbers "KD31-51-5MO and KD31-51-5LO" actually end in "0" and not "O" as Mazda parts never end in O. I should hear from MazMart in a week because they have to question those in Japan for the parts.

I think adding a generic light like the one you posted is quite tacky. I want something that at least looks like it came from factory, if not better looking (hence LED's).

I can't confirm yet whether or not it will accept an actual bulb, though I will look into it once it warms up even for me to put it on jack stands and remove the wheels.
Yeah, sub-freezing temps are not the most enjoyable weather to be working under a car.

I think adding a generic light like the one you posted is quite tacky. I want something that at least looks like it came from factory, if not better looking (hence LED's).

Agree, hopefully we can work on a better alternative.

I have purchased the rear fog lights (Mazda original parts) from a European dealer. Here is the official part #s

KD53-51-660A Left side

KD81-51-650A Right Side

You can buy aftermarket led fog lights with two arrays to be wired however you want. Mine are wired for brake/running.

QkL4QIB.jpg

You can buy aftermarket led fog lights with two arrays to be wired however you want. Mine are wired for brake/running.
This two-array LED rear fog lights are indeed look cool. This is one of a few aftermarket parts I'd consider over the OEM which is too much hassle to get and may be inferior (not LED). Unfortunately that foglight switch on stalk thing.... (bang)

This two-array LED rear fog lights are indeed look cool. This is one of a few aftermarket parts I'd consider over the OEM which is too much hassle to get and may be inferior (not LED). Unfortunately that foglight switch on stalk thing.... (bang)
Yea, that's the hard part; the switch.

Hi Chris! Those do look good. Did you prepare a DIY for the install?
No, but I took pictures and could make a write up. you just have to remove the wheel to access the compartment where the fog light goes. No special tools needed. The light itself only has 3 wires; 2 power 1 ground so you just fish it through the access hole in the rear floor and wiretap/solder it into a ground wire, and then whichever light you want the rear fog to function from (flasher/running/brake).

This guy sold me mine, doesn't look like anyone bought any from him on ebay yet (I bought mine via western union but I told him put them on ebay to sell better), so message him first. They come in 3 colors. https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Another source
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/revier/item/rbl-mz01-s-1-sp/?s-id=borderless_browsehist_en

No, but I took pictures and could make a write up. you just have to remove the wheel to access the compartment where the fog light goes. No special tools needed. The light itself only has 3 wires; 2 power 1 ground so you just fish it through the access hole in the rear floor and wiretap/solder it into a ground wire, and then whichever light you want the rear fog to function from (flasher/running/brake).

This guy sold me mine, doesn't look like anyone bought any from him on ebay yet (I bought mine via western union but I told him put them on ebay to sell better), so message him first. They come in 3 colors. https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Another source
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/revier/item/rbl-mz01-s-1-sp/?s-id=borderless_browsehist_en

Thanks! Looking at the lens, the edge appears slightly different than on my 2014. Is it just the picture or are these drop-in replacements?

Same lens direct swap. That backing around the lens is behind the bumper

Last edited:
Back