new to the RX8 so wondering if what I have is the norm

Hi guys, just brought my first RX8, I've had a few RX7 before but this is the first RX8 so wondering if what I'm experiencing in the car is normal.

First off the car is a 5 speed 2004 with 72kms, the coils and plugs have been done but no other work (to my knowledge)

I couple of odd things
  • I don't seem to have a power band e.g. the pick up is the same through the revs, I would have expected some kind of pick up about 7K ?
  • If foot is fully down on pedal I get a mini bog at 6k nothing much and it is only at 6k (doesn't stay) but it is there ???
  • If I change straight from 3rd gear to 5th I get some crunching of gears 3to4to5 is fine, normal for this gearbox?
  • Can I chip the 5 speed (mainly for the rev limit) or is it just not worth it?

I've also been told that the early auto had less power than the 5 speed but haven't been able to verify this, true?

lots of small questions hope you can help.

Last edited:
There should be a noticeable increase in power around 7,400RPM.

I had the same issue with a loss of power from 6-6.5k and 7.5k and after replacing all 4 ignition coils, wires, and plugs, the problem was corrected.

Synchronizer failures are pretty common with these transmissions. I only get it in when shifting from 3 to 2 and 1 to 2 intermittently, but others have experienced this problem in practically all other gears.

Not sure what you're asking when talking about "chipping" the transmission. To my knowledge this can't be done. However, if you are asking if raising the rev-limit can be done, then yes, yes it can. It doesn't matter whether it's the auto, 6spd, or overseas 5spd.

I believe, though I'm not certain, that the 5spd equipped cars used teh 4 port instead of the 6 port. If that is correct, then yes, it has a significant difference in power.

Hope I've helped.

Synchronizer failures are pretty common with these transmissions. I only get it in when shifting from 3 to 2 and 1 to 2 intermittently, but others have experienced this problem in practically all other gears.

this is happening to me now, its not bad but i can feel the crunch. never would of guessed it being syncros.

Back