2014 Mazda5??

We have 2 Mazda5s, a black 2008 Sport AT and a white 2012 Sport AT. I bought the 2012 back in October when it became clear that the 2013 wasn't going to be any different than the 2012, especially the lack of Skyactiv. Now that the 2014 is confirmed to be a continuation of the 2012-13 run, it may be worth looking at selling or trading-in our 2008 Mazda5 in 2015 but only if the Mazda5 comes with Skyactiv. I really hope the 2.2L Skyactiv diesel makes its way into the Mazda5 but I imagine that, like any major desirable option, I would have to buy a Grand Touring model to get the diesel which I'm not likely to do. Perhaps the rest of the 5 lineup will get the Skyactiv 2.5 that's currently in the CX-5 and standard in the new Mazda6. After all, the current Mazda5 does come with the 2.5L MZR engine that was standard in the previous generation Mazda6.

We have 1.6 diesel in the 5 here at the moment. It is heavily modified and lightened version of the shared Mazda/Ford/Peugeot/Volvo unit that is economical and reasonably peppy.

Quick win would be to give the US market this engine, but I guess they would want something beefier.

The old 5 used to have a more powerful 2.0 Diesel, but they dropped that on the new model and went for less weight over the front wheels and efficiency.

My guess is you won't see diesel in a 5 in the US market until they do a brand new model in 2015, if it all.

IMHO, it was pretty easy, back in 2012, when they added Skyactiv to the Mazda3... Minor mods to accomodate new engine/tranny.... Why not do that on the 5? No need to redesign the whole thing...

Ford S-Max Concerpt, what the next Mazda 5 could have been

Ford - Mazda joint partnership is over and I'm getting a stronger feeling that Mazda plans to leave the Mz5 out in the pastures for a slow death b/c it won't be competitive without upgrades. Ford is soldering on with an S-Max concept and I can't help but think this is what the Mz5 could've been +sportier. I'm not into all of the $$ body monitoring stuff.
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/28/ford-s-max-concept-preview/

On another note, I notice we have a few UK members. Curious, why/how did you choose the Mazda5 over the Grand C-Max??

This line from the article says it best, "But if your heart is set on a minivan sports activity vehicle (SAV) and you live in the States, don't wait for this one – it's a Europe-only product, and we don't expect that to change when the next-gen S-Max is released." Ford Knows the US market's heart is still set on big passenger vehicles. They aren't even going to bring it over here. Kia knows this as well, hence why the Rondo isn't still sold here. This is the reason, why Mazda hasn't dumped any kind of money into the 5, the will rest on what they got. I don't know if they will scrap the 5 in the States, seeing as how they virtually have no competition here, but they differently will put the 5 on the back burner for Skyactiv if they do keep it around.

I considered the Grand C Max, but the following ruled it out:

A. It is a Ford
B. It looks very awkward, if a little frumpy.
C. The 1.6 turbo petrol manual was almost impossible to find used (2-3 years old). Didn't want diesel.
D. The cargo room with the rear seats up is even smaller than the 5.
E. The rear seats are even closer to the back tailgate. Safety.
F. No power sliding doors.
G. In Europe leather trim is only available as an option on the Titanium X and hardly anyone goes for it, so used there are virtually none.
H. Depreciation is heavier than the 5.

On the upside the Grand C Max has:

A. A better Sony sound system.
B. Slightly cleverer middle row.
C. Fractionally better driving dynamics.
D. Bigger choice of engines.
E. Sunroof. None is avialable on the 5 here.
F. Mains outlets.

Just to be clear - we are talking Grand C Max here, not S Max - which is a larger thing than both the 5 and the Grand C Max.

S Max is more expensive and is closer to a traditional US minivan in size.

Just to be clear - we are talking Grand C Max here, not S Max - which is a larger thing than both the 5 and the Grand C Max

Agreed, I've rented a couple of comparable S-MAX vehicles while across the pond (Renault Espace and SEAT Alhambra), and yes, the S-MAX is more or less between the Mazda5 and a normal North America minivan (i.e. Toyota Sienna) size-wise. More space between the 3rd row and the liftgate, and the fact that you have 3 actual bucket seats on the 2nd row (I used them to install 3 car seats. With the Mazda5, even a European 7 seater, not a chance)

Mazda boss confirms the CX-5 SUV will be joined by two other models by 2016

Mazda will have a new full-sized SUV and a B-segment 4x4 in its product line-up by 2016.

That’s according to Mazda president Takashi Yamanouchi, who chose the Frankfurt motor show to confirm to Autocar the specifics of two models in a series of eight that began last year with the CX-5.

Following the CX-5, last year’s Mazda 6 saloon and the new Mazda 3 hatchback, the B- segment and D-segment SUVs are expected to be key members of the new model generation, alongside the 2014 Mazda 2 supermini, the 2015 MX-5 sports car and a replacement for the Mazda 5 MPV.

Only the smallest of that trio of 4x4s represents a genuinely new car for Mazda, however – and according to Autocar’s sources, it won’t look much like bigger-brother CX-5. “The CX-5 was the last model designed under Laurens van den Acker,” a company spokesperson said. “Much of its detailing is still current in thematic terms, but you can expect the smaller crossover to be prettier and more expressive, in line with our ‘Kodo’ design language.”

[Autocar]

Last edited:

Mazda will have a new full-sized SUV and a B-segment 4x4 in its product line-up by 2016.

That’s according to Mazda president Takashi Yamanouchi, who chose the Frankfurt motor show to confirm to Autocar the specifics of two models in a series of eight that began last year with the CX-5.

Following the CX-5, last year’s Mazda 6 saloon and the new Mazda 3 hatchback, the B- segment and D-segment SUVs are expected to be key members of the new model generation, alongside the 2014 Mazda 2 supermini, the 2015 MX-5 sports car and a replacement for the Mazda 5 MPV.

Only the smallest of that trio of 4x4s represents a genuinely new car for Mazda, however – and according to Autocar’s sources, it won’t look much like bigger-brother CX-5. “The CX-5 was the last model designed under Laurens van den Acker,” a company spokesperson said. “Much of its detailing is still current in thematic terms, but you can expect the smaller crossover to be prettier and more expressive, in line with our ‘Kodo’ design language.”

[Autocar]

So...is the Mazda5 doomed after 2015 MY?

It would seem not if this article is to be believed.

Autocar have been in the habit of getting things a little wrong in the past though.

Hello All, first time posting to this Forum. I recently purchased a 2013 Mazda5 GT. I was going back and forth on whether or not to purchase the year end model or wait for the 2014. Well, I bought the 2013, but the dealer did have some insight on the 2014. As expected, the 5 is not getting any Sky treatment:'(
This is the mail reason I went with the 2013. I figured I can save a few bucks if nothing is changing on the 2014. The dealer also stated that the only changes would be minor interior refreshes as well.

Thanks for the info. I know Mazda is offering $2k in cash back, so the 2013 models do seem more appealing. Any idea what the 2014 interior changes will be?

This line from the article says it best, "But if your heart is set on a minivan sports activity vehicle (SAV) and you live in the States, don't wait for this one – it's a Europe-only product, and we don't expect that to change when the next-gen S-Max is released." Ford Knows the US market's heart is still set on big passenger vehicles. They aren't even going to bring it over here. Kia knows this as well, hence why the Rondo isn't still sold here. This is the reason, why Mazda hasn't dumped any kind of money into the 5, the will rest on what they got. I don't know if they will scrap the 5 in the States, seeing as how they virtually have no competition here, but they differently will put the 5 on the back burner for Skyactiv if they do keep it around.

This saddens me. I bought the MZ5 as a replacement for the wife's crappy Dodge Caliber. It's just her, her 15lb dog and me. An SUV was out of the question due their abysmal gas mileage and ridiculous size. The MZ5 was and is the perfect size, and the sliding doors come in handy even without kids, but the lack of a better engine in the newer models concerns me. This vehicle is perfect even for those without children, I hope Mazda will continue production and bring the SkyActiv or even the Diesel model to the States...one can only hope.

Thanks for the info. I know Mazda is offering $2k in cash back, so the 2013 models do seem more appealing. Any idea what the 2014 interior changes will be?
Yeah, we choose the 1000 cash back and 0.0 APR instead of the 2k back and .9 APR, that is the current 3 card monte they are offering. But heck, I will take 0.0 any day. The dealer didn't know many details of the interior changes. From what I have seen on the web the interior dash is getting a piano black finish and the directional will have touch sensor of some kind.

Yeah, we choose the 1000 cash back and 0.0 APR instead of the 2k back and .9 APR, that is the current 3 card monte they are offering. But heck, I will take 0.0 any day. The dealer didn't know many details of the interior changes. From what I have seen on the web the interior dash is getting a piano black finish and the directional will have touch sensor of some kind.

On a $20,000 original cost, you paid $600 more for the car to save $10 on your payment. Normally you'll want to choose as much cash back as possible unless your interest rate starts getting up past 4%.

Hi, new here. (As with any car I buy, I always look for forums related to the vehicle.)

In any case, we just bought our new Mazda 5 Touring three days ago and the owners manual, on the cover, says "2014 Mazda 5."
I asked the dealer about this, since our papers say 2013, and they said it's the same thing. So... not sure about cosmetic changes, but I'll keep looking through the manual to see if I find anything that may not be on the present model/trims.

Latest posts

Back