2014 Mazda5??

Really if you think about it, it is on the right side. We are one of the only countries that have our steering wheel on the left side.
Don't travel much, eh? Maybe you are thinking about adopting (or lack of) the metric system? This one is hard to explain...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-_and_left-hand_traffic

@ toyotabb/Orangutan - Thanks for the heads up on the new Premacy. Now I’m excited :D! Will I buy one/trade up? Heck no. BUT this means the current model’s architecture (which is almost identical to the previous Gen) can fit or easily made to fit the sky 2.0 motor!!! If it also gets the 6sp auto, it would be an freaking fantastic powertrain swap.

Last edited:
I went to the Philadelphia Auto show and sat in a 2013 Mazda5 (mirror turning lights, finally after all these years :)). Yes, I noted the leather seats' strip, it looked dark. I loved how nice the sliding doors opening/closing feels, greatly improved. I also sat in a 2013 Mazda CX-5 2014 Mazda6 and noticed how much the Mazda design language has changed, but still keeping things simple

Anyway, the Mazda5 is one of the best family cars I owned (practical, affordable, simple, great driving dynamics), it would be a shame if its concept goes away in favor of SUVs, CUVs, it does not matter how many people you can seat in them, it's NOT the same

Last edited:
Anyone have any scoop or rumor as to the release date of the 2014 Mazda5? The silence is deafening. I'm hoping for Skyactiv and improved mpgs, as I am eager to trade in my 2010 M5 Touring.

I have a subscription to Car and Driver Magazine. The issue I just received (Sept. 2013) lists all the new and updated models for each manufacturer for 2014. Car and Driver lists the 2014 Mazda5 as "unchanged". So I wouldn't expect anything new or different beyond what you see on the current 2013.

I have a subscription to Car and Driver Magazine. The issue I just received (Sept. 2013) lists all the new and updated models for each manufacturer for 2014. Car and Driver lists the 2014 Mazda5 as "unchanged". So I wouldn't expect anything new or different beyond what you see on the current 2013.
I would not take that as any indication. Keep in mind these car publications write their articles 2-3 months in advance. Noticed how the magazine are always released about a month early (kinda makes you feel special :D)? This mean the content had to been written even before that. I don’t think anyone other than the small handful on this forum cares or even knows this car exists. The Mz5 is also on the bottom of Mazda’s totem pole so last to get any attention in terms of PR release. I’m sure some team has been working on the 2014 Mz5 as a side project but I highly doubt much “official” info has been released. Also the 2014 is mid cycle refresh and is always the year of the most significant change, like how the ’08 is the MCR for the last gen. Years thereafter are gimmicks changes till the end of it’s lifecycle in prep of the next model roll out. Regardless of how big or small, MCR is the best time to buy a car -usually. There are some exceptions.

I would not take that as any indication. Keep in mind these car publications write their articles 2-3 months in advance.

True, but they also have contacts at the companies (usually product managers) who will know what the plan is for each car. Mazda most likely will have a plan on paper by now.

True, but they also have contacts at the companies (usually product managers) who will know what the plan is for each car. Mazda most likely will have a plan on paper by now.
Good point. I'm sure Mazda already has plans for and started, if not already completed, blueprints for the next iteration. I don’t work in the auto industry but I suspect, as with any industry, there will always be leaks (good personal connections as in willing to put your job/career on the line for some sort of kick-back) but I high doubt these car mags have such access. If the product manger leaks something before it is ready to go public, this puts the product and company at a disadvantage to their competitors. I’m pretty sure it can be traced back to the origins too. More than likely, all communication go through Mazda’s PR/Media relations team that sends out the same message, once it’s ready and available by the PM. If this message is out there, it would be on the internet long before the mags b/c the mags are done months in advance so the news you see in mags today are already old news. You can’t beat the speed of the web ;) unless the mag manages to get an exclusive leak, which in the case of the Mz5, is highly unlikely b/c the general consumer doesn’t pay mind to it. I also doubt Mazda not making “any” changes to the 2014 else it will die quickly b/c no one in their right mind would pay more for a 2014 when the 2013 is the same thing but cheaper (b/c it is older). Only a few cars go unchanged and they tend to be ultra lux or super cars, or if the car is destined for a slow death.

More confirmation about no changes for the 2014 Mazda5. Automotive News claims that there are no plans for the Skyactiv engine. The good news is that Mazda will continue selling the car in the U.S., so I'm hoping that there will be at least a few incremental improvements to the interior for 2014

http://www.autonews.com/article/201...da6-cx-5-to-get-earlier-updates#axzz2d6BHJU8j

Mazda5: The future of Mazda's small van is up in the air. U.S. consumers haven't embraced the Mazda5 or competitors such as the Ford C-Max in large numbers, and while the segment is larger in Europe and Japan, those markets are struggling overall. Mazda would need a strong global business case to invest in a major update of the Mazda5.

Sources say the plan for the Mazda5 is to continue sales with no major product changes for the foreseeable future. The Mazda5 is not scheduled to be moved onto a new Skyactiv platform, nor will it get a Skyactiv powertrain, sources say. But it's likely to stay on the market: Despite selling just 10,023 units of the Mazda5 this year through July, Mazda needs North American sales for the vehicle to be profitable globally.

That would be sad. As much as I like this car I'd definitely would like to see major upgrades, like the SKYACTIV engine and the revamped MAZDA design language. I've sat in the latest MY (2013?), and while I love the incremental updates (interior, exterior, engine), it's still the "same" car after 8+ years (I bought the first Mazda5 in July 2005). Oh well :(

Strange this really. Japan is now getting the SKYACTIV-G 2.0L for definite in the 5. You would have thought that at least the UK would be getting it as we are also right-hand drive.

It is ominous that Mazda Uk has dropped the Ts, ts2 and top end Sport models for the Uk now. They have also dropped the 1.8 (although it was long in the tooth). All that is left is one model 'Venture' which is like a special edition.

Maybe a sign that it is getting canned here?

What they need to do is come out with a totally new 5 based on the new Mazda3. Put 3 individual seats in the middle row (like a Ford S Max), SkyActive, curtain airbag for the rear tailgate, new design language and you would have a real winner.

Maybe the record Mazda sales will pay for the R&D costs...

^^ Good info, possibly you may see it in England after all. Sometimes the news around here are too region centric :). One of the main issues for North America seems to be the horsepower, see numbers below. If I remember correctly they skipped the 2.0L here (we only got either the 2.3L or the 2.5L) to get us a more competitive hp and a bit more torque (albeit worse fuel economy). So, I guess their business case only calls for one engine (2.5L), the 2.0L may not sell well here, so more development may still be due. Just check the CX-5, many reviews around here already indicate that the 2.5L is the best option and the 2.0L is too wimpy. Here in North America people don't appreciate better fuel economy... yet

http://www.premacy.mazda.co.jp/skyactiv/skyactiv-g.html?link_id=prlnv3

By the way, I rented an i-stop SEAT Alhambra diesel van across the pond, it freaked me out, I had to disable it. In my mind I was feeling like stalling at every red light :)

Premacy 2.0 Skyactiv:

HP: 151ps = 151hp

Torque: 190nm = 143 ft-lb

It looks like slow death for the US Mazda5 but what about Canada??

I guess Mazda will not focus on the minivan market. It makes sense since all of the full sized mini vans were recently released with new features and functionally and it does make the Mazda5 seem like a Caravan. This goes to show Mazda still didn't put any focus on revamping the Mz5 to make it nore competitive/compelling. Sucks since I would like a better executed version of a MPV.

^^ Good info, possibly you may see it in England after all. Sometimes the news around here are too region centric :). One of the main issues for North America seems to be the horsepower, see numbers below. If I remember correctly they skipped the 2.0L here (we only got either the 2.3L or the 2.5L) to get us a more competitive hp and a bit more torque (albeit worse fuel economy). So, I guess their business case only calls for one engine (2.5L), the 2.0L may not sell well here, so more development may still be due. Just check the CX-5, many reviews around here already indicate that the 2.5L is the best option and the 2.0L is too wimpy. Here in North America people don't appreciate better fuel economy... yet

By the way, I rented an i-stop SEAT Alhambra diesel van across the pond, it freaked me out, I had to disable it. In my mind I was feeling like stalling at every red light :)

Premacy 2.0 Skyactiv:

HP: 151ps = 151hp

Torque: 190nm = 143 ft-lb

You get used to the iStop, I have it on my 5 and it is one of the fastest starting systems in the business, it only uses a small tweak on the starter to fire. I can't catch it out.

It looks like slow death for the US Mazda5 but what about Canada??

I guess Mazda will not focus on the minivan market. It makes sense since all of the full sized mini vans were recently released with new features and functionally and it does make the Mazda5 seem like a Caravan. This goes to show Mazda still didn't put any focus on revamping the Mz5 to make it nore competitive/compelling. Sucks since I would like a better executed version of a MPV.

I think some of the problem is that the new model only just came out in late 2010. On the standard 5 year refresh it probably won't be until 2015 before the new model based on the new 3 comes out. Until then its just warm overs. Trouble is the 2010 version wasn't a dramatic improvement over the previous model, so they are on the back foot from the start.

Still a great car - especially in DIrect Injection form on the 2.0.

I didn't expect anything for the 2014 model year, even when many were saying that the 2014 would get the Skyactiv engine and transmission, just like the 2012 3 did. Mazda is a small outfit and all of their time has been devoted to developing the 2015 Mazda 3 and the next generation Miata, that will be coming out next year. They weren't going to put any time or money into doing a refresh, with all the work they got going on. It isn't everyday that a car company, totally creates/re-creates three of their vehicles in less than three years. I understand that some of Europe and Japan have the modified skyactiv 5, but I read a while back that it cost Mazda more money to produce these modified skyactiv 5's and that US sells for the 5 are among the lowest countries in which the 5 is sold. That is more of a symptom of American's obsession with big vehicles than the 5 itself. I think the key that we all need to realize is that it is going to take some time. Mazda themselves have some bold plans for Skyactiv that is causing them to work their fingers to the bone. They want to be 100% skyactiv across 80% of their lineup by 2016. That either leaves them scrapping a lot of models or making them skyactiv. Just think, the Miata, the Speed 3, the CX-9, the 2, and the 5 aren't skyactiv yet. I know one or two of them will remain non skyactiv, which if I took a guess, it would be the CX-9 and the 2, but regardless, Mazda has a lot of work ahead of them if they want 80% by 2016. The key word here is time, the 5 will get skyactiv, but it will be the last and it will take some time with Mazda's limited R&D money. Besides, look at the Civic and the Corolla, they are staples of vehicles that have stayed virtually the same for several generations. Why change a reliable thing? It works for Toyota and Honda, why can't it work for Mazda?

I would love to see a Skyactiv in a M5. I would probably trade in my 2010 for Skyactiv. With all I've read in this thread I wonder why Mazda, in my area, never runs M5 ads. We talk about low sales, but I don't think Mazda does enough to promote the product. In the USA I think the M5 just something to have on the lot.

Back