New guy questions about rx8.

Hello, My name is Kane and I live up in Colorado. Iv been thinking about buying a rx-8 for a long time now... but I've got some questions.

How reliable are the engines?
How does the car preform in the cold, rain, and snow?
How is it as a every day driver?
Whats the real life mpg like?
How badly does the engine burn oil?
What are the stereotypical trouble spots?
If you remove the rear spoiler, does it leave holes. would i need to replace the whole trunk lid?
What is a Shinka?
What are the best mods to boost the horsepower and torque?
Is there a supercharger for the rx8? (iv been looking around for them, I know their are a few but i cant find where to actually buy one.)

I really like this car but my dad isn't fully sure about them.(It would be my daily driver / a father son project car) I'v found some good ones that meet my criteria but need to know more before committing.

Thank you

Last edited:
Hello, My name is Kane and I live up in Colorado. Iv been thinking about buying a rx-8 for a long time now... but I've got some questions.

If you remove the rear spoiler, does it leave holes. would i need to replace the whole trunk lid?
What is a Shinka?
Is there a supercharger for the rx8? (iv been looking around for them, I know their are a few but i cant find where to actually buy one.)

I really like this car but my dad isn't fully sure about them.(It would be my daily driver / a father son project car) I'v found some good ones that meet my criteria but need to know more before committing.

Thank you

Depends on how it is maintained/treated.
It is a well balanced RWD with a decent diff and traction control so it will do fine if you put the right tires on and drive it with some care.
Brilliant provided you understand what it is and isn't. I DD'd mine in Chicago for three years. It never let me down. I did have my wife's car as an option if the weather was really bad although I almost never needed it. 2 or 3 times over three years max.
16-18 city, 16-29 HWY. These numbers are from personal experience. how you drive it is the most important factor in the MPG. I got 29MPG on the HWY one time. I was driving from Chicago to CT with my mother in the car. Mom+aftermarket exhaust+no cats=taking it easy with the loud pedal=good gas milage.
Not badly at all, actually it burns oil very efficiently. By design none the less...................
Most of the troubles come from the person sitting two feet behind the steering wheel.
Yes
What is a Shinka?
Special Edition
Get a different car.
Yes, Pettit. They had a website (maybe still do). Any significant HP upgrade for this car is VERY expensive and could easily cost more than double the purchase price for a decent used RX8. If you drive one and think it needs more power on the initial drive you need to run away immediately.

I wrote all this:
"If you are looking for a DD project get something else. I would suggest a Miata for the following reasons:
-Huge aftermarket. this is a big deal because more parts + cheaper parts. Look the cost of some Miata/RX8 parts side by side and you will see what I mean.
-Inexpensive start up cost.
-Lots of institutional knowledge out there. Go to any weekend autocross event and you will be able to find a couple of nice Miata owners who will have meaningful advice for you and your project Miata. I have been to more than a few joint Miata/RX events and have found the Miata folks to be great people across the board.
-Less money in to the project will allow you to enjoy the car more without worrying about damaging an "investment".
-Have a look at the difference in cost of something as simple as replacing the engine and you should be convinced."

Before I reread this

....and now my answer is, get a FWD project car. If you can get through the worst days of the winter without driving your car then you could consider a Miata, but something FWD and more economical would probably be a better fit.

you should read both of the stickies in my sig for sure.

Last edited:
Welcome to the RX8... lol

i love the RX8, having some probs with it now, but other than that i cant get enough of it. ive had a civic si and a srt4 and this by far is the best car ive driven..other than my dads m5 but yeah.,..haha

Did the OP end up buying an RX8?

I am thinking on buying a RX8 and after doing some research and coming to this section of the forum most of my questions were answer here so I did not want to create a completely new thread. Since I have never driven or been around a car with a rotatory engine I want to know what signs of problems or things to look out for when test driving an RX8 so I can distinguish an issue from something normal.

Did the OP end up buying an RX8?

I am thinking on buying a RX8 and after doing some research and coming to this section of the forum most of my questions were answer here so I did not want to create a completely new thread. Since I have never driven or been around a car with a rotatory engine I want to know what signs of problems or things to look out for when test driving an RX8 so I can distinguish an issue from something normal.

Really you should get a compression test before you buy any rotary engine. What year and how many miles are on it will tell you some other things to look at. Check the clutch petal for side to side movement or signs it is bending or breaking, and if it is make them replace it. Start the car cold, and take note of how quickly it starts up. Drive the car for 20-30 minutes until very good and heat soaked and then shut off and restart. If it is significantly slower/harder to start this can be a sign of low compression (but could also be other things).

Really you should get a compression test before you buy any rotary engine. What year and how many miles are on it will tell you some other things to look at. Check the clutch petal for side to side movement or signs it is bending or breaking, and if it is make them replace it. Start the car cold, and take note of how quickly it starts up. Drive the car for 20-30 minutes until very good and heat soaked and then shut off and restart. If it is significantly slower/harder to start this can be a sign of low compression (but could also be other things).

Thanks, I will ask the delear if I allow me to take it to a mechanic to get the compression test. The one I am looking one is 2004 with 50,000 miles 5sp manual titanium grey
here is the cars.com listing and some pic here

01.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

16.jpg

I saw it last week, but I didnt get to test drive it, the only issue if at all that it have is a round dent under the car as it seem that at one point it was placed on a lift or jacked up incorrectly. Is that considered frame damage ? and should it be a deal breaker? what do you think ?
ca

ca

Last edited:
Is the dent visible without getting under the car? Where is it at?
If the dealer says you can't get a compression test then tell them you can't buy the car. Also it should be a 6speed not a 5 speed. There were only a few versions has a 5 speed and none of them are available in the US.
From the pictures it looks pretty clean though.

Thanks for all the help bladeiai, I decided to get a Speed 6 that I test drove last week. My plan was to get an RX8 and keep my 96 4dr Honda Civic as winter car, but started having over the weekend and its not worth keeping. The Speed 6 should be a fun daily driver all year around.

Thanks for all the help bladeiai, I decided to get a Speed 6 that I test drove last week. My plan was to get an RX8 and keep my 96 4dr Honda Civic as winter car, but started having over the weekend and its not worth keeping. The Speed 6 should be a fun daily driver all year around.

Congratulations! Did you get a compression test? If you are driving all year round I would suggest getting a second set of wheels with winter tires.

Back