Dragonballspeed Build (Finding an Identity)

your peddle box looks adventurous - we wanted a solution that would require little fab work which is why we used stock peddles. dealing with the steering rack location seemed to much work for a street build. now our track car, floor peddles maybe? :)

Pedals will have to be flush mounted on the firewall in order to clear the steering angle needed. I considered floor pedals, but it pushed the seating position too far bar for my liking.

We want final pictures!

I need an OEM steering column since I chopped mine all up. I still think the OEM u-joints are too beefy to squeze into the space between my new pedals, but want to give it one more shot beofre I spend crazy $ on the Woodward piece. Is therer anyone in the DFW market that can help?

Once thats worked out once an for all, more should start happening.

Man if I was in Dallas I would be there everyday just to see it and maybe help with some stuff!

I would love to build a spicy like that. Hell wish i could build my protege like that. Maybe down the road ill steal some of his ideas and make my own well see.

I love this build. But I just noticed if you're planning on racing her in NASA TT I'm sure you'll need at least a 5-point harness. You've got listed a Schroth 4-point. Their Clubman 6-point is only ~$220. Just a heads up, buddy. :)

edit- the more I think about it I think you need the mounting bar for the back of your seat to the roll bar as well. There are tons of rules for TT (I'm just starting out in HPDE so the rules aren't as strict) but i would hate for you to buy parts only to have to buy more parts because the originals are not legal...

http://www.nasa-tt.com/Main_News/p2_articleid/173

Looking forward to more progress, mate!

Last edited:
I love this build. But I just noticed if you're planning on racing her in NASA TT I'm sure you'll need at least a 5-point harness. You've got listed a Schroth 4-point. Their Clubman 6-point is only ~$220. Just a heads up, buddy. :)

edit- the more I think about it I think you need the mounting bar for the back of your seat to the roll bar as well. There are tons of rules for TT (I'm just starting out in HPDE so the rules aren't as strict) but i would hate for you to buy parts only to have to buy more parts because the originals are not legal...

http://www.nasa-tt.com/Main_News/p2_articleid/173

Looking forward to more progress, mate!

Lewis - the belts I am using are Profi II ASM FE belth that are both FIA and DOT approved. They are fine as is, but I will be adding at least a single sub strap if not 2. As for the seat back mount that is not needed if your seats have a certain FIA Homologation with approved mouting hardware, which the Cobra seats I have fall into. Believe me, I am constantly reviewing the rules to see what is required safety equipment.

I also have to have an FIA approved steering hub quick release which is why I haven't bought my final steering pieces yet. Do I keep a stock column with hub adapter & quick release that works with hub adapter, or just go straight to a new column with everything built right in? I will buy harnesses and fire supression system as I get closer to be able to drive again.

NASA CCR
http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/ccr.pdf

Section 11.3.2
2. The driver and any passenger must utilize modern style stock seatbelts in very good condition, or a DOTapproved restraint system, while operating a vehicle on the track. Lap belts used without any shoulderrestraints are not permitted. Restraint system requirements are listed in Section #11.4.8. The onlyfour-point belt systems that are allowed for use in HPDE / TT are 1) those that carry an FIA B-xxx.T/08certification, or 2) those that carry a label from the belt manufacturer stating that the belts meet FederalMotor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 209 AND that the belts were designated for the specific vehicle(e.g. For use only in BMW E36 models). Such label must be easily visible to the NASA inspector.​
Note- four-point belt sets that have a DOT-only certification are not allowed.

11.4.12​
Seats
All seats must be securely fastened to the structure of the car such that they are strong enough to withstand amajor impact. If replaced, the replacement seat should be installed according to the manufacturersinstructions. Expired FIA seats may be used in HPDE without a seat back brace if one was not requiredoriginally.If stock seats are to be used with a roll bar/cage, care should be taken to prevent the seat from submariningunder the roll bar. Care should also be taken to prevent the occupant from hitting his/her head on the rollbar/cage.Passenger seats must meet the same minimum requirements, per the CCR, as the driver seat, if used by​
passengers. Note- The passenger seat does not have to match the drivers seat.

So you know exactly what you're doing, right on! (2thumbs)

I have a steering column or two sitting at the house if you still need one...

Scratch send me a PM with details. I tired your but said your inbox was full. Thanks

So you know exactly what you're doing, right on! (2thumbs)

I try and do a lot of research. No sense in spending this kind of money to have to start all over again. I'm going to get a log book started just as soon as the additional cage work is complete

Last edited:
nice build and they (AWR) should list that strut bar on his website even if its custom order and you have to wait for it to be built.

nice build and they (AWR) should list that strut bar on his website even if its custom order and you have to wait for it to be built.

Follow the attached link for the strut bar
http://store.awrracing.com/products...ont-Triangulated-%2d-1999%2d2003-Protege.html

Also, just a couple of quick updates since it has been a while

New steering column mount
DSCN2033.JPG

Core support about 75% complete now. Parts in pics are recycled parts that didnt work originally and are the basis for the final part. I hope to get the real parts back later this week and finalize the upper core support mounts. Both radiator and intercooler will be tilted 20 degrees forward

Last edited:
Any updates?

Updates: Core support is about done. Need 6' level to set the upper support bar and then tack into place and make sure mount plates are square. I also made a plate to cover the hole cutout for the new pedal assembly, and set the orientation left to right that clears the OEM sterring column.

Then I built a triangulation for the trunk because the foot plates for the down bars where just hanging out without support after the trunk was removed, design will allow for a flush fitting trunk floor. The square area is being made to hold the battery, possibly, any dry cell battery from an Optima Red Top to a lightweight battery could fit in this area.....
DSCN2374.JPG

Last edited:
I like what you did to the subframe to tie it into the front support. Looks really nice. Seeing your engine bay like that makes me want to tear my car apart lol

Quick update: Pedal mount plate welded directly to frame rail to set distance and orientation. The hole will have to be filled in a multi step process due to confined space.

Finally the car back on all 4 with body panels hung getting ready for transport to the fabricator for final welding and cage additions.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back