2007 CX-9 Transmission Fluid Change

Jolly-John

:
Mazda CX-9
I'm about to change the transmission fluid on my wife's 2007 CX-9 (front wheel drive only). This is part of my regular maintenance on the car. I have a few questions:

1. Will removing the one 10mm allen head drain plug from the bottom of the tranny case drop the fluid from both the transmission and the front differential? (I understand some fluid will be left in the torque converter, just wondering if there is another plug for draining the differential.)

2. The Mazda parts book shows the transmission drain plug, a tubular piece of metal (a magnet??), and two o-rings...all of which will seeming wind up in my oily hand, when I remove the drain plug. Can someone shed a little light on the interworking of these various pieces (what the tubular piece of metal does, where the o-rings fit, etc.? I usually like to know what I'm dealing with BEFORE taking something apart!

3. I'll be refilling with a 3309 transmission fluid, of course. I see Valvoline now sells an IMPORT automatic transmission fluid, specifically for cars the 3309 fluid (Mazda, Volvo, Toyota, Lexus, etc.). Has anyone used this Valvoline IMPORT transmission fluid on their Mazda CX-9? I don't think it has been out that long.

Thanks in advance for any help, Gang. Regards, John in Wisconsin

Bump for report. How'd this go? Did you figure out what all those pieces were for, and can you help out the rest of us?

I'm about to change the transmission fluid on my wife's 2007 CX-9 (front wheel drive only). This is part of my regular maintenance on the car. I have a few questions:

1. Will removing the one 10mm allen head drain plug from the bottom of the tranny case drop the fluid from both the transmission and the front differential? (I understand some fluid will be left in the torque converter, just wondering if there is another plug for draining the differential.)

2. The Mazda parts book shows the transmission drain plug, a tubular piece of metal (a magnet??), and two o-rings...all of which will seeming wind up in my oily hand, when I remove the drain plug. Can someone shed a little light on the interworking of these various pieces (what the tubular piece of metal does, where the o-rings fit, etc.? I usually like to know what I'm dealing with BEFORE taking something apart!

3. I'll be refilling with a 3309 transmission fluid, of course. I see Valvoline now sells an IMPORT automatic transmission fluid, specifically for cars the 3309 fluid (Mazda, Volvo, Toyota, Lexus, etc.). Has anyone used this Valvoline IMPORT transmission fluid on their Mazda CX-9? I don't think it has been out that long.

Thanks in advance for any help, Gang. Regards, John in Wisconsin

Dealer sells a transmission maintenance kit. Get one. It typically consists of a filter, seals, and magnets. It is not expensive.
Fluid? Better use the one authorized in OM if yours is still under powertrain warranty. We have a Aisin transmission on CX9. Aisin is owned by Toyota and supplies transmission to Toyota, Lexus, Volvo, and many other automakers.
Toyota fluid should be the one to use.
Keep the receipt, just in case, when you DIY.

Ceric do you have the part number to this transmission service kit and what is the list price on this item? Thanks in advance.

This was listed on my bill of transmission flushing.
1 M194 Flush Kit = $36.25
10 MATF Multi ATF @$4.42 = $44.2
+ labor = $134 (after $14 discount = 10%)

Look at my post on the other thread. It is just a 10mm Hex bolt (mine is a 2010), might be magnetic, has a crush washer. The dealer reuses them but it seems the same washer as from Toyota.

Jolly-John, good luck with your endeavor. I have not personally looked at the location of the drain bolt, but my guess would be to jack the front end or the rear end of the car up, depending on if the drain plug is in the back or the front of the trans, in order to drain as much fluid out as possible.

You won't get all the fluid out with a simple "drain." A flush will get it all out but most people just do a drain & refill. As far as how much oil will drain from what areas of the transaxle assembly, no one knows for sure. You could try tipping the car various ways via jack stands & floor jack.

Drain and refill is recommended. Flushing can lead to other issues. I changed mine about a month ago. Easy job. I used MOTUL Multi ATF, 100% synthetic in mine.
I use this in most of my cars that require ATF from transmissions, steering and so forth.
I would get the transmission hot, then drain it. Get the filter kit and so forth. Refill and check level with car running. I used about 7-8L of oil on refill.

100% Synthetic High performance lubricant specially engineered for most modern automatic transmission (manual mode, sequential mode, electronically controlled ...) with or without slip lockup clutch.
Particularly recommended for use in automatic gearboxes of American car makers GM, FORD, CHRYSLER,..., Asian car makers HYUNDAI, KIA, MITSUBISHI, NISSAN, SSANGYONG, SUBARU, TOYOTA,... or European car makers BMW, CITROEN, FIAT, MB, PEUGEOT, RENAULT, ...
Also recommended for use in older automatic gearboxes, torque converters, power steering, boats reverse gears, hydrostatic transmissions, mechanical and hydraulic systems where DEXRON (except DEXRON VI) or MERCON fluids are required.

STANDARDS AND MANUFACTURERS SPECIFICATIONS: Refer to chart.
MOTUL MULTI ATF is a 100% Synthetic high tech lubricant featuring outstanding performance with regards to DEXRON III and MERCON standards requirements.
Thanks to its exclusive and dedicated formula, MULTI ATF :
- Allows fuel economy for cars fitted with automatic gearboxes by reducing epicyclical gears friction.
- Provides anti-shudder performance and then avoids vibrations on engine fly wheel.
- Protects gears that are more and more numerous, compact and heavily loaded.
- Gives superior automatic transmission response: smooth shift feel and minimizing shift time lag. - Improves automatic gearboxes reaction at cold temperature.
- Extends life time duration, better shear stability at hot temperature and oxidation resistance.
- Anti-wear, anti-corrosion, anti-foam.

You replace the transmission also? how about the drain plug? what is the part number to the filter and how much was it? also if you replaced the drain plug what is the part number for that as well and price. How long did this job take you to do?

Back