Not charging but no battery light on

bvolks

:
99 Protege
When I went tried to start out 1999 Protege this evening the battery was dead. I asked my wife if she had noticed the battery light on but she said she hadn't. I charged the battery and started the car up but the lights were dim and really died down when I turned on the blower motor so I assume it's not charging even though the charging light isn't on. I shut the car off and it wouldn't turn over when I tried to start it again. The alternator is fairly new but I saw what looked like a red glow fom it when I revved the car up and the belt was really squealing so I assume something it may have fried. Any other ideas? Coincidentally, I had to wiggle the connections on the starter to get it to start after I charged the battery. Could I be lucky enought hat it's just a cannection problem somewhere?

The alternator is fairly new but I saw what looked like a red glow fom it when I revved the car up and the belt was really squealing so I assume something it may have fried.

If the alternator is is getting hot enough to glow red.... it's definitely a goner.

If the belt was squealing, either it is loose or the alternator bearing is so far gone that its pulley isn't turning much, if at all. The connector could have a loose pin, preventing sufficient current from getting to the starter.

Now, if the belt is loose, it may not allow the alternator to charge the battery, so I'd tighten the belt, first. If it's already tight, then remove the alternator and have it tested at the store where you purchased it. If it checks out okay, focus on the connector to the starter.

Good luck.

The belt is as tight as I can get it and the alternator spins freely but is making a groaning noise when the car is running. I have it off right now and am getting another one to try this morning. I think something something must have burned up inside it.

Back