RX8 will crank, but won't start. Electrical issues

Lou_Rx8

:
04 Mazda RX8 GT 6spd
I have an interesting story to tell but NEED answers..
Ok, so first of all, my Rx8 has been giving me a couple of problems prior to it not starting at all. I have an 04 GT 6speed. w/o the navi.

First Issue: Sometimes after driving & reaching my destination I attempt to shut the car off and the car would stay running when the key is removed.(Engine running. NOT the fan) When it would do this I would just make the car stall to get it to shut off. When I did so the Instrument Cluster would stay on and I couldnt get it to shut off unless I unplugged the battery.

Second Issue: It would take several turns of the key to start the car. (*turn to start position* Nothing,*turn back to OFF* then attempt again.) Eventually it would start. Then one day it just stopped starting and I went under the hood to check the fuses and noticed two relays were cracked open on the tops of them. ST and IGN relays. (Part# L110-67-730). And I touched the inside of the ST relay and the car cranked! So I put the key in the ignition and went back under the hood and pressed down on the ST relay and the car started!! Without even having to depress the clutch pedal! So from that day on I would use that method to start my car since it wouldn't start normally.

Third Issue: When I was driving, as I was coming to a stop with the car in Neutral, the car started idling rough with excessive vibrations and seemed as if it wanted to stall. Surely enough the car did stall. I started it back up and it did the same thing. So I let the car sit for a while. then I was able to make it home.

The next day my car was perfectly fine. But then the next morning on my way to work, it started acting up.
On the on-ramp to the highway and I'm going about 40mph getting up to speed, the RPMs drop and it was like the car loss complete power but was still driving. It wouldn't go past 62mph nomatter what gear I was in. The Check Engine Light started blinking too but I continued to the next exit.
As I was getting off the exit and rolling to a stop, the car started idling rough again with the excessive vibrations but didnt stall this time. My car started smoking from the hood, the center console where the shifter is, and by the rear wheel so I turned the car off and got out.
It smelled as if something was burning.

My car started up about 4 times after that then after about 30sec shuts off. Then after those last times the starter would not even crank. just one little click coming from the fuse box.

I had my car towed to the Liberty Mazda dealer and they gave me a quote of $4,800 to repair.
Front Wiring Harness (Part# FE06-67-010F)
3 Relays (Part# L110-67-730)
Main Fuse Box (Part# F151-66-760)

So far I've replaced the 3 relays. NOW the car cranks, but won't turn over. I've done the whole De-flooding procedure because of all the sudden shut offs and the car wanted to start but didn't. The RPMs flew up to about 3000 as the car was cranking but then went right back down.

I am NOT convinced that my harness is shot. becuase it still has full power everywhere in the car and the car cranks now.. I've checked the spark plugs and they're still good. Next I am going to buy the Main Fuse Box but I want to know if theres anything else I can do to try and start the car. I really dont want to spend money buying a new harness if thats really not the problem.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

That's a first one on me..... I usually see the rx-8's have the power struggle like that when the converter is stopped up... as for the electrical... I don't see a front harness doing that..... does it sound like its super low on compression? I am in the process of replacing two engines in rx-8's right now. How many miles do u have on the car?

That's a first one on me..... I usually see the rx-8's have the power struggle like that when the converter is stopped up... as for the electrical... I don't see a front harness doing that..... does it sound like its super low on compression? I am in the process of replacing two engines in rx-8's right now. How many miles do u have on the car?

Well I can't tell how it sounds now because it won't even start. It just cranks. And My car has 88k.

Back