If they can supercharge a BRZ, they can do a CX-5

The BRZ is NOTHING like the CX-5, in the motor department. Literally NOTHING. Except that they have 4 pistons, and 16 valves. That's literally about it.

I think his point was that the BRZ is also very high compression.
They can also supercharge the new miata:
http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=594960

They say the batteries recharge at 300W and it takes 6 seconds of charging to get 1 second of boost, so 1800W for the blower?
1800W/24V=75A

I think his point was that the BRZ is also very high compression.
They can also supercharge the new miata:
http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=594960

They say the batteries recharge at 300W and it takes 6 seconds of charging to get 1 second of boost, so 1800W for the blower?
1800W/24V=75A

Static compression ratio alone doesn't mean much when it comes to forced induction. Yes, it matters, but that's like sizing up a person as an athlete by weight alone.

Static compression ratio alone doesn't mean much when it comes to forced induction. Yes, it matters, but that's like sizing up a person as an athlete by weight alone.

Of course, there are many variables involved.

When the skyactiv engines first came out, popular opinion on forums was that you can't add any forced induction because at 13:1 it's about to ping anyway.
Now, it appears that these 13:1 motors might have similar margins of safety regarding a little boost as older, say 9.5:1 non turbo motors did.

Since the new CX-9 is a production turbocharged 2.5L skyactiv, I'd wager supercharging a 2.5L skyactiv would not be an issue.

Edit: That electric supercharger setup is very very clean! Damn, 0k to 40k rpm in .25 sec...(drive2) impressive.

Last edited:
My manual FWD is completely adequate. I toted me and 3 passengers around today with cargo and the a/c on with no problem. In that guise the power available works. But the heavy AWD coupled with and auto trans has to be a terrible combo for this motor. Especially those with the big 19" rims. I wanna line my sport manny up against the awd gt auto and see whats what.

I disagree as would many others. The AWD, 19" rims and auto combo with the 2.5L is NOT a "terrible combo" and I drive one and it's completely tuned, is zoom-zoom fast, and a great combo.

I disagree as would many others. The AWD, 19" rims and auto combo with the 2.5L is NOT a "terrible combo" and I drive one and it's completely tuned, is zoom-zoom fast, and a great combo.

The 2.5L was not yet available, or even announced when that comment about the 2.0 was made.

OVTuned here in the USA does as well. He's tuned Goodwin racings miatas, and some miatas in person in other places. That's a big deal considering most of his tuning is done remotely... Also Jan 2016, OVtuned is moving from Mazda edit to EcuTek.. I was told a new file will be improving on what I already have... hopefully I'm FI by then though.

Title says...
"If they can supercharge a BRZ, they can do a CX-5"
My brain says...
"If they can dodge a wrench, they can dodge a ball!"
Lol, sorry....couldn't resist...
Carry on...

any idea if this would work w the cx5 as well?

A different type of tune would be used simply because the CX-5's peak torque/hp relative to rpms is likely different than the new Miata's which also has a higher redline. Another way of putting it is that they use relatively the same 2.0 motor (U.S. at least) but have different stock ECU tuning at the factory. Also the factory new Miata is tuned to use 91 octane I believe. All that said my understanding is that the physical moving parts of the 2.0 engine is the same.

Hey Mazda did it. They call it a 2017 CX-9.

It makes me wonder what the mechanical differences are between the 2017 CX-9 and the current 2.5 N/A skyactiv motor. If the differences are not great/complex then the next hurdle for someone adding a turbo would be fitment under the hood.

to anyone interested in the ecu tune from bbr, I spoke to a rep and they said it will work for the cx-5, but will have to be tuned in house, however, the diy tune will be available within a few months. cost wise it should be around $800 range

to anyone interested in the ecu tune from bbr, I spoke to a rep and they said it will work for the cx-5, but will have to be tuned in house, however, the diy tune will be available within a few months. cost wise it should be around $800 range

Sounds expensive....well it depends on the performance gains I guess.

Sounds expensive....well it depends on the performance gains I guess.

yeah I agree, but I would like a little more power out of my 2.0. It's a shame mazda doesn't offer the 2.5 in a 6 speed manual like they do in the mazda3/6 or else I would have traded in in a heart beat. gains are probably similar to the mx-5

Back