If they can supercharge a BRZ, they can do a CX-5

mclark999

:
2013 CX-5 Sport AWD Automatic
Mazda's new Skyactiv gas engines are a Atkinson cycle engine, which is different from most engines that are Otto cycle engines. Now don't ask me to explain, because I've read so many articles about these engines and still don't know the significant differences. If you look at the list of cars on Wikipedia that run the Atkinson cycle, they are all hybrids (except for Mazda of course). Now I have heard of people arguing that supercharging an Atkinson cycle engine is due-able, but I think the main reason why Mazda isn't going into any complicated forced induction right now is that they don't have the money to do it. They need to refresh their lineup and introduce their Diesel engine which has a much greater chance of being successful in the States and Canada than a supercharged gasser.

Nevertheless, it would be interesting to see a MPS 3 or 6 with a supercharged 2 litre generating 250 horsepower to all four wheels via 6-speed standard. I would find the money to buy one.

If Mazda made another Awd turbo 6 speed i would as well find money to buy.

In this car there's so much room between the engine and firewall its almost begging for a turbocharger. With its high compression you wouldn't be able to run much boost and would definitely have to run premium fuel. But thats fine by me. It would be great to boost the motor up another 40hp or so as i think that would be sufficient. Enough power that one wouldn't need to down shift to pass on the highway and climb hills loaded with passengers without problem.

I don't see how the brz engine is relative to the skyactiv engine. They both have high compression but thats it. The BRZ is a flat four with both direct and port injection.

Last edited:
I wasn't think that Mazda would offer a forced induction solution. I'm hoping that a reputable aftermarket tuner would. Given that no one brought one to SEMA, it's not likely this year. Maybe Mazda needs to sell more CX-5s first. Still very few on the road.

Good point about the Atkinson cycle, Canadian-ES-GT. I had not thought of the Atkinson cycle as being a problem for forced induction, but maybe it is. The only reason I brought up the BRZ is that most people claim the high compression ratio on the CX-5 would keep it from being a good target for forced induction.

Good thing I have a sports car in the garage. Its just that living at high altitude my CX-5 really lacks for power.

I'm curious, what sports car do you have?

Oh, and I think they will be resolving the complaints about power with either the 2.2 Diesel or 2.5 gas engine.

But when we pressed Mazda’s PR staff about the fun-to-drive Mazda CX-5′s 155 horsepower, 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine being a bit on the weak side, we were told to “wait ’til L.A.” for a fix to our biggest criticism of the crossover. No further details were provided beyond the fact that some sort of engine upgrade would be in order.

Read more: http://blogs.automotive.com/report-...or-l-a-auto-show-114559.html/0/#ixzz2Bje04bjh

It is really a shame that they didn't anticipate the complaints and offer both engines at the start. I'm fine with the 2.0 but it would have saved a ton of negative review points at the start. Then they could still brag about the mileage it can get while also talking about the available 2.5l engine.

I think that is one (just one of many) mistakes Fiat made with the 500. When Mini first came over they quickly had the "S" version so that all the reviewers and car nuts could talk about how quick the little car was and then Mini could still mention "starting at 17,000" and people could go test drive them and decide that the non S version was fine for them. I don't remember anyone saying back then that "minis are great but they are slow" because the S answered that problem right from the start.

Fiat and Mazda missed riding the initial hype wave a bit by having to survive the negative comments about being underpowered that are now stuck in peoples heads.

Even if the same people that avoid the cars because of reviews saying they are slow are going to drive even slower in their 'faster' cars than most CX5 owners probably drive....

I'm an S owner :)

After 4 years my Cooper S still puts a smile on my face on backroads, passing without downshifting on highway. Now it's time for an "upsize" and skipping the sedan segment I'm jumping into the cuv segment. Enter the CX-5. I've been scouring this forum and internet for release dates of the new engines. Knowing what's coming, I know in my heart I won't settle for CX-5 base (like Cooper non S). After test driving a GT I knew I had to play the waiting game. I almost cracked and contacted my dealer. But it'll come...

It is really a shame that they didn't anticipate the complaints and offer both engines at the start. I'm fine with the 2.0 but it would have saved a ton of negative review points at the start. Then they could still brag about the mileage it can get while also talking about the available 2.5l engine.

I think that is one (just one of many) mistakes Fiat made with the 500. When Mini first came over they quickly had the "S" version so that all the reviewers and car nuts could talk about how quick the little car was and then Mini could still mention "starting at 17,000" and people could go test drive them and decide that the non S version was fine for them. I don't remember anyone saying back then that "minis are great but they are slow" because the S answered that problem right from the start.

Fiat and Mazda missed riding the initial hype wave a bit by having to survive the negative comments about being underpowered that are now stuck in peoples heads.

Even if the same people that avoid the cars because of reviews saying they are slow are going to drive even slower in their 'faster' cars than most CX5 owners probably drive....

All valid points people. I doubt Mazda will offer and FI solution as thats not their priority. As far as aftermarket goes? I doubt that as well. We can't even get Corksport to make us springs let alone all the research and design that would go into making an FI kit for an engine that probably wouldn't like it.

And for what? 50hp for 4k? If you want a real gain for a fair price you'd have to do it yourself. A mass produced kit is gonna be expensive and have a ball park "safe" tune useable for many climates and local.

Besides, i think we can all agree that without a tuning solution, its never gonna happen.

Hell i'd be happy with a tuning solution and some bolt ons.

Well, If you look at the Youtube Video explaining SKYACTIVE CX5 you will see...

1. Long Tube Header is used to prevent the engine from receiving too much back pressure.
2. Very Tricky tuning to prevent the engine from detonating.
3. Very unique fuel injection system to prevent the engine from detonating.
4. VERY HIGH compression, to make sure that the engine WANTS to detonate.

All this to make an economical engine..

And you want to make it worse on gas and Blow Up...

Brilliant..

I'm curious, what sports car do you have?

Oh, and I think they will be resolving the complaints about power with either the 2.2 Diesel or 2.5 gas engine.

But when we pressed Mazda’s PR staff about the fun-to-drive Mazda CX-5′s 155 horsepower, 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine being a bit on the weak side, we were told to “wait ’til L.A.” for a fix to our biggest criticism of the crossover. No further details were provided beyond the fact that some sort of engine upgrade would be in order.

Read more: http://blogs.automotive.com/report-...or-l-a-auto-show-114559.html/0/#ixzz2Bje04bjh

My sports car is a Chevy 350 powered 280Z. It's marginally faster than the CX-5 having about 1 horsepower for every 6 pounds of car fat.

If Mazda or a tuner comes out with a forced induction upgrade for the CX-5, I guess I'd have to weigh the cost of that against the cost of trading mine in for the diesel. At the high altitude that I live at and when I go into the mountains, I really have the rev the crap out of it to get into the fast lane and around all the truck that drive up I-170. Of course, it's built to rev high, so maybe that's the best option.

2.0 turbo Escape would be a alternate compact SUV solution with a warranty that works well at high altitude.

Otherwise my IS350 provides the reliable HP in a balanced sport sedan I enjoy on weekends in contrast to the modestly powered and very economical CX-5.

The CX7 is available with a turbo 2.3 or test drive a Mazda speed3 and you will be sold. No aftermarket add on turbocharger can ever match the reliability and driveability of a factory system dollar for dollar. There are exceptions but they are few. If you just want a CX5 with something more powerful than wait for the Turbodiesel to come out. That engine has a lot of torque.

The CX7 is available (used) with a turbo 2.3

No longer available new.

Mazda's new Skyactiv gas engines are a Atkinson cycle engine, which is different from most engines that are Otto cycle engines. Now don't ask me to explain, because I've read so many articles about these engines and still don't know the significant differences. If you look at the list of cars on Wikipedia that run the Atkinson cycle, they are all hybrids (except for Mazda of course). Now I have heard of people arguing that supercharging an Atkinson cycle engine is due-able, but I think the main reason why Mazda isn't going into any complicated forced induction right now is that they don't have the money to do it.

Look into the Miller cycle engine, which Mazda has experience with.

The CX7 is available with a turbo 2.3 or test drive a Mazda speed3 and you will be sold. No aftermarket add on turbocharger can ever match the reliability and driveability of a factory system dollar for dollar. There are exceptions but they are few. If you just want a CX5 with something more powerful than wait for the Turbodiesel to come out. That engine has a lot of torque.

I test drove a CX-7. It drove like a Ford mini van. Hated it. The Toyota Rav4 V6 was very powerful, but handling was numb. I love the CX-5 handling and looks. I would just like more power.

My manual FWD is completely adequate. I toted me and 3 passengers around today with cargo and the a/c on with no problem. In that guise the power available works. But the heavy AWD coupled with and auto trans has to be a terrible combo for this motor. Especially those with the big 19" rims. I wanna line my sport manny up against the awd gt auto and see whats what.

I would still like more power though. Here's to hoping Mazda provides a manual option for the 2.5 and keeps the price fair. If so i may just be trading up.

After 4 years my Cooper S still puts a smile on my face on backroads, passing without downshifting on highway. Now it's time for an "upsize" and skipping the sedan segment I'm jumping into the cuv segment. Enter the CX-5. I've been scouring this forum and internet for release dates of the new engines. Knowing what's coming, I know in my heart I won't settle for CX-5 base (like Cooper non S). After test driving a GT I knew I had to play the waiting game. I almost cracked and contacted my dealer. But it'll come...

I'm in the same boat (will be starting a family) but will be trading up from my Mazda3 2.5S. Can't wait for either the diesel or 2.5 motor!

I'm in the same boat (will be starting a family) but will be trading up from my Mazda3 2.5S. Can't wait for either the diesel or 2.5 motor!

Still no diesel option in the U.S. and looking like there never will be. The 2.5 doesn't have enough power to make me trade up.

Here's a link to a supercharger for the BRZ FR-S from SEMA. They both run 12.5:1 compression ratio which isn't far off from the CX-5's 13:1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LoFwZEhm97s

Here's an article on a turbocharger kit:

http://www.avoturboworld.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=301:fr-s-and-brz-turbo-kit&catid=3:general-news&Itemid=31

They are getting 220 - 250 hp out of their 2.0 liter engine.

When will we get these options for the CX-5?

The BRZ is NOTHING like the CX-5, in the motor department. Literally NOTHING. Except that they have 4 pistons, and 16 valves. That's literally about it.

Back