Hydraulic Clutch Master/Slave Cylinder Failure

t0mmski

:
1990 Mazda 323 Protege
1990 Mazda 323 Protege.
Quick question: The other day the clutch petal went to the floor, no engage. Replaced the master, bleed the sys -worked fine for a trip to the local store.. then failed again. Figuring it's the slave, I'm going to replace that even though neither part had/has fluid spilling from them. During the work I noticed that the rubber/cloth line from the reservoir to the master looks very worn; could it be possible that the hose is actually pulling air into the system causing it to loose pressure (therefore causing the complete system to fail)?
Thanks....

If that resevoir sharing hose was letting in air,..it would also let fluid leak out. Sounds like your clutch -slave cylinder, as you have also mentioned,..is out to lunch :) Sometimes, the seal can be leaking quite badly, but the fluid stays in the cylinder or in the dust-boot.

JJ

Ahhh, this makes sense. I haven't been loosing any fluid.
My thoughts behind the hose is that it's a supply line that is only really active when a vacuum is created (when the clutch petal is returning, the master is pulling fluid from the resev -hence while there is no pressure created for the fluid to leak out of the line (when simply sitting). Now, when that vacuum is created, air quite possibly could be getting sucked in through pin hole(s) of an old hose.
I'm not certain as to the degree of air in the lines that would cause the system to fail completely or if it would fail at all... or simply cause the clutch petal to feel "spongy".

BTW, for the record: IMO Hydraulic clutch systems are big waste of time, effort and money. I feel noooo difference between the comfort of the hyd clutch vs a cable setup. Wish there was a conversion :(

Back