How to: Fog lights with parking lights--Easy

rope612

I've noticed not being able to turn my fog lights on without the low beams being on kind of defeates the purpose of having fog lights to begin with, and after searching online for a mod where I can switch my fog lights on and off with just my parking lights being on, and failing, I decided to just do it myself. While this doesn't make the fog lights FULLY independent, it's better than the stock setting. So, here ya go. Sorry in advance for the crappy iPhone photos.

In essence, all you're doing here is bypassing the BCM. You're taking the green wire and splicing it to the orange wire with a jumper (my red wire). Here's the wiring diagram:

photo.jpg

Tools required:
Wire strippers
Crimps, if using butt splice connectors
Electrical Tape
10-12" of copper wire used for a jumper (Any color, I used red)
Philips tip screwdriver
(2) Wire nuts or (2) butt splice connectors (recommended)
10 mm socket or nut driver (optional)

Step 1: Remove driver's side scuff plate and cowl

Step1.jpg

Step 2: Pull out the hood release switch and the screw sitting just behind it

Step2.jpg

Step3.jpg

Step 3: Pull the lower trim panel forward and try to place it out of the way--without warping or breaking it. The red arrow in the picture below shows where you'll be working, unfortunately. You can use the 10 mm socket or nut driver to release the fuse block and pull it out of the way if it's a bother.

Step4.jpg

Step 4: Look into the work area, and you'll find the BCM (pictured below). Also in the picture, you'll see two arrows pointing to two different wire harnesses. Carefully pull these two harnesses out of the BCM (by NOT pulling on the wires)

Step5.jpg

Step 5: On the gray harness (the top one), find the pictured green wire. Cut about 1" to 1 1/2" from the connector. Tape the end of the short wire with electrical tape and strip the end of the now-free longer green wire.

Step6.jpg

Step 6: Take your 10-12" jumper wire and splice it to the green wire you stripped. I used a wire nut as this was when I was still testing it, but I prefer (and plan to replace with) a butt splice connector.

Step7.jpg

Step 7: Now take your blue wire harness, locate the orange wire on the end (beside the blue wire, below the brown wire--pictures below). Cut about 1" to 1 1/2" from the connector. Tape the short wire with electrical tape, and strip the end of the longer, free orange wire.

Step8.jpg

Step 8: Take the free end of your jumper wire and splice it with the orange wire you just stripped.

Step9.jpg

Step 9: Plug the wire harnesses back in the correct spot. The gray harness goes to the top port on the BCM, and the blue harness connects into the bottom port. Use the picture above if confused or just don't trust my word.

Step 10: If you unbolted the fuse block to move it, put it back in place and bolt it in. Push the lower trim panel back where it belongs, insert the screw into the bottom where the hood release sits, and put the hood release back where it goes. Snap in the cowl and scuff plate.

Now we're done! :)
Final.jpg

Very Nice Very Nice.....True the stock setting defeats the purpose of fog lights....Another **** up I found with Mazda...Still pissed at the dealer and ******* mechanics there....totally ****** my fuse box up and blamed it on me. This is awesome wish I could do it but I already have enough electrical problems with my 3 month old Mazda.

Back