what's the deal with scanning an rx8

04spoondc5

:
2001 mazda protege mp3
I searched kiwi and everything else I can't find anything. Just discovered my genesis can't communicate with the rx8's ecu. My girlfriend came home last night saying the cel came on. Can someone educate me on this cars ecu. Do they just require a software update on most scanners or is this a dealer thing. Because the motis couldn't get into the ecu either

I have never heard of the scan tools you are talking about, but I have had luck with my Cobb AP, Dashhawk, and generic scan tools that are available at any auto parts store. I posted a cel list in one of the "stickied" threads in this section.

Theyre both high dollar scanners. The motis is a $10,000 computer by snap-on.

I have a $100 scanner i use for domestics i biught from advance auto and it cant communicate

Did you do it with the car on or off. For some reason mine won't work with the scanner unless the car is running. With the key in the on position it just says unable to make a connection. I've also know someone who couldn't get a AP to connect to their MSP3 unless it was running.

First off, it's 'Modis' not "motis" and if you paid $10k through your Snap-On guy, you paid about $2,000 too much.

Now to the question at hand- I've dealt with the same issue with various scan tools with my 8. The cheap POS Launch CReader VI I have will communicate with it all day long, but the Solus and Modis I've tried would not for whatever reason. My Bosch MasterTech VCI whic is waaaaaaay overpriced for what it is ($5,500) will communicate with it no problem, though limited in what it can actually do. I just recently purchased a Launch Diagun X341 ($1,200) and believe it'll communicate because of the fact the CReader will. I haven't received it yet, but that'll be the first car I use it on.

Back