Car Shakes at 60+ mph

LOL! Alright - I'd still look into hubcentric rings in the near future and see if that gets rid of it altogether. Based on all the things you've tried, I still think the rings, or lack thereof, is the most likely culprit.

The rings have been on since I got the wheels, probably the same yellow plastic ones you have. They fit the hub and wheel tightly and evenly, so hopefully they are on straight. I'm guessing the little bit of shake that is left is just a combination of the imperfections on the wheels, tires, ect. I'm fairly happy now. Before it felt like it was going to shake the suspension apart and now it is so minor that it blends in with the road imperfections.

Update: new BFG tires were installed 12k miles ago, much better handling and the shaking was much less severe. All 4 tires road force balanced to less than 6 pounds (anything under 25 lb can't be felt)

Shaking was still there, so I reverted to stock suspension. No improvement.

Now at 42k, I took 1 wheel at a time off and replaced it with the donut, then went out and hit 70-85 until I figured out which wheel was at fault.

Ladies and gentlemen, after tens of thousands of miles, two sets of tires, two sets of struts, two sets of springs, and half a dozen road force balances, I believe we have the culprit. I hope...

I'm pretty sure the driver's side front wheel is just slightly bent. I shall replace it and report back.

Am I crazy for thinking that the gold donut on a black car is kinda sexy?

No sir, you are not....

Hmm ... Gold wheels on a black m2 ....
0Maz215BlackPanasportGoldsC_zps67c07262.jpg

a bit of PaintShopPro work (too cheap to buy Photoshop) while I was pining away for a 2 of my own. I have a decades-long fixation for Panasports, and they used to do gold as an option ....

Wheel or axle? How does a bent wheel road force to 6 lbs?

That's a good point actually. I'm thinking that the wheel could be bent to the side (goes down the road like an "s" instead of being bent so that it isn't round.

At this point I think I'm going to replace the suspect wheel, but I'm just worried it will still shake and ill have another $150+ into this crappy car..

Back