CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!
CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Car Shakes at 60+ mph

Registered Member

Mazda 2002 BJ Astina 323 1.8 L

Sometimes a slightly bent axle can give wierd balancing problems that come and go. Need to jack up each wheel and spin them. Some care needs to be used :-)

JJ

2011 & 2013 Mazda 2 Touring

Quote Originally Posted by ngd298 View Post
    since it instantly started shaking as soon as I got the new wheels and tires.
    To be absolutely sure it's due to the new wheels/tires, try swapping your original wheels back on if you can. It would suck to go through all the work of replacing wheels/tires, thinking they're defective, just to find out the problem is with the car.

Registered Member

mazda2

The three times they balanced the wheels, did they ever check roadforce? It only takes an extra 20-30 seconds per wheel to check roadforce.

Registered Member

What is "road-force"? Haven't heard of that term before :-)

JJ

'87 RX7 Sport, '13 Frontier Pro-4x 6MT, '98 Metro, '08 Ninja

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but i think before they balance the wheel and tire with the weights they spin it while the machine rolls a cylinder along the tread of the tire and measures how round the tire and wheel assembly is, and part of the wheel exceeds 18-25 pounds of force in a certain area they break the tire down and rotate it on the rim to try and make it more round. I also think there is another wheel that rolls along the edge of the rim to make sure it isn't bent.
    Current Mods- Sparco 16x7 Wheels, Eibach Springs, CS SRI & Duct, RB Exhaust, Rear Torsion Bar, Custom Rear Motor Mount, ~40% Tint, Armrest, CS Short Shifter, Hawk HPS Brakes

Future Mods- Deer imprint removal
    Other deer imprint removal

Registered Member

`That makes sense :-) I had an old Valiant Hemi 6 [yes such an engine existed in 215,245 and 265 cubes.It was not a slant-6] The Ozzy 265 E-49 Charger had OEM 3 twin-barrel Webers, OEM headers and 280 hp. Ran 13.8 sec 1/4 mile ETs. It was at the time, the fastest 6 cylinder locally produced car.

Any way the Val was always experiencing a vibration which came and went. Turned out one rear axle was slightly bent. Because the axles were always turning in an ever-changing was to each other due the action of the diff, this gave the variable nature of the vibe.

JJ

Registered Member

2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3

So I def had my steering wheel shaking like crazy... and I ended up rotating my tires, and it fixed the problem not sure if your fix will be as easy, but I was surprised!

Mazda2

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonjames View Post
    What is "road-force"? Haven't heard of that term before :-)

JJ
    Also known as road force varience or ride match.

Update- I'm going to take the car back to the Chevy dealer Monday and have them make sure the wheels are balanced and get them to measure the wheel runout (they didn't measure it when they originally road force balanced them). If everything checks out I guess I'll have to get General Tire to replace the tires since I'm 99% sure the issue isn't in the car.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

Yeah tks for that:-) It hilights the fact that a wheel can be oval [slightly even] still balance OK,..but when on the road, the ovality causes the wheel to vibrate as the high and low spots run against the road-surface.

I learnt something,.thks :-)

JJ

2011 Mazda 2 Sport 5 MT

Cheap wheels > oval than better wheels. Same for tires. Generally you get what you pay for.

Well, after 10,000 miles of shaking I finally got pissed off enough to order new tires. I ordered 4 BF Goodrich g-force Sport COMP-2 tires. I'm going to get them road force balanced and make sure the rims aren't bent. If that doesn't work I'm going to borrow my stock rims off of my buddy's ZX2 and see if that fixes it. I hated to order new tires when my old ones were only half worn out but I'm tired of having a brand new car that can only go 60 with feeling like I'm riding a jackhammer. Plus, if the tires aren't the problem I'll have 2 good sets that I will eventually use.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Well. The rims are perfect, new tires were road force balanced to within 6 pounds. (25 is still acceptable, so 6 is excellent) New CS struts, centering rings, matching lugnuts, wheels properly torqued, new alignment, everything is tight and in good condition. AND IT STILL SHAKES!!! I'm fed up. I think I may go try out a Focus ST or a MS3 whenever I get a day off work/school and get rid of this money pit.

Registered Member

Mazda2 / CX-5 / 1GDSM

Quote Originally Posted by ngd298 View Post
    Well. The rims are perfect, new tires were road force balanced to within 6 pounds. (25 is still acceptable, so 6 is excellent) New CS struts, centering rings, matching lugnuts, wheels properly torqued, new alignment, everything is tight and in good condition. AND IT STILL SHAKES!!! I'm fed up. I think I may go try out a Focus ST or a MS3 whenever I get a day off work/school and get rid of this money pit.
    Does it still shake only when you're above 60? Is it a certain MPH or RPM or straight, turning, braking?

Shakes can be frustrating. How do your wheel bearings look? If there was a previous problem you lived with for 10k miles it could have beat them up pretty bad.

Good luck!

Banned
    Donated: $13.37

Banned For Being A Troll

Wheel bearings!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast