The PlastiDip Thread

My guess for the roof is probably around 5 rattle cans to get it on nice and thick. I believe it takes about 3 to do a hood, from what I've heard.

Also I dig the white roof idea... I may copy you (headbang) if that's alright, of course (2thumbs)

^ no way, that idea is patent pending... :D

this is what i pulled the inspiration from of course

mini-mini-cooper-s-01.jpg

Just curious about what you'd be doing with the spoiler... just follow the roof line to the back in white?

And I probably wouldn't do it anyways... I got bike racks up thar (2thumbs) hahaha

Instead of buying my buddies rims (since buying tires would have raped me), I decided to plastidip my rims...starting with the back...I'll post pics once I'm done since I'm in the process of letting the paint dry right now

I was sick of the faded trim pieces at the base of the windshield, so I dipped them! (This is my wife's Focus)

before...

PDip%20Before.jpg

...and after! (I painted the wiper arms with engine enamel)

PDip%20after.jpg

Last edited:
Did mines awhile back with plasti dip and clear still look like new :)

Last edited:
DxaveP5, how did you paint your whole car? Dozens of spray cans or did you buy it by the gallon and use a sprayer? What kind? I've got a Harbor Freight HVLP gun, and a little experience painting cars, and was thinking about plastidipping some stuff, but I can't seem to find on the DYC forum any real clue as to whether people have been successful with guns other than what DYC sells.

Your P5 looks pretty good, but frankly, I love the Lazer Blue, so it seems like a shame to cover it up. I know, you can peel it. :)

DxaveP5, how did you paint your whole car? Dozens of spray cans or did you buy it by the gallon and use a sprayer? What kind? I've got a Harbor Freight HVLP gun, and a little experience painting cars, and was thinking about plastidipping some stuff, but I can't seem to find on the DYC forum any real clue as to whether people have been successful with guns other than what DYC sells.

Your P5 looks pretty good, but frankly, I love the Lazer Blue, so it seems like a shame to cover it up. I know, you can peel it. :)

i bought the pro-kit from DYC.com a while back.
I covered up the blue because the paint's clearcoat was peeling off on all the doors near the windows/along the roof racks/rear hatch/rear bumper/and spoiler/roof.
Im sad to cover it up too :(

As for the painting part, I just did one part of the car at a time.
Took my time, i used 3 gallons of matte white which also came with their own professional gun/air compressor which worked quite well.
I just washed/clayed/waxed the car before i applied the plastidip.

Hope that helps. If anything shoot me a PM.

Kyle, I don't understand your post. You just posted a pic of a really hot girl. Is there a car in there in the background?

Has anyone done there roof ? Just curious of it would have the same look as a vinyl wrap.....

i bought the pro-kit from DYC.com a while back.
I covered up the blue because the paint's clearcoat was peeling off on all the doors near the windows/along the roof racks/rear hatch/rear bumper/and spoiler/roof.
Im sad to cover it up too :(

As for the painting part, I just did one part of the car at a time.
Took my time, i used 3 gallons of matte white which also came with their own professional gun/air compressor which worked quite well.
I just washed/clayed/waxed the car before i applied the plastidip.

Hope that helps. If anything shoot me a PM.
I thought you weren't supposed to wax it? How did it stick to the areas where the clearcoat had failed? I'm considering this more everyday for my RX-7 because I don't want a $1000+ paint job getting ruined on track. The clear on my RX-7 is pretty much gone so I'm wondering how well this would turn out. A satin black/white/yellow FC would look pretty good...

Kyle, I don't understand your post. You just posted a pic of a really hot girl. Is there a car in there in the background?
LOL, Sara Underwood. So much hotter before all the surgery...

I thought you weren't supposed to wax it? How did it stick to the areas where the clearcoat had failed?

It's holding up quite well actually. It's been over a month and it's been good on me.
What i did was sand down the areas where the clear coat was failing so that the clear doesn't continue to peel off. And then I just sprayed it like you see in the "dipyourcar" youtube videos and it's been good for me.
The sprayer that they are using now (as of today on the site) are pretty solid sprayers, even for newbs like me.
The wax helps you with the clean up process and if you ever decide to rip off the plastidip, it comes off like a charm. I tested it on my lip and bumper with a can of black dip before i did the whole car.

It's holding up quite well actually. It's been over a month and it's been good on me.
What i did was sand down the areas where the clear coat was failing so that the clear doesn't continue to peel off. And then I just sprayed it like you see in the "dipyourcar" youtube videos and it's been good for me.
The sprayer that they are using now (as of today on the site) are pretty solid sprayers, even for newbs like me.
The wax helps you with the clean up process and if you ever decide to rip off the plastidip, it comes off like a charm. I tested it on my lip and bumper with a can of black dip before i did the whole car.
Did you use their "pre-dip spray" as well? Makes sense on the wax. I don't have any clear coat chipping on the RX-7 but there are areas where the clear coat is completely gone and probably no amount of waxing will help. Those are the areas I'm worried about.

I do find it funny they sell Wagner power sprayers with their kit. And I thought those were only good for spraying fences and stuff. Were you able to get a nice, smooth surface? I know if not done correctly it will end up with a texture (actually the intended purpose) but I don't know how forgiving it is. I'm also curious as to how much weight this stuff adds. It's basically a sprayable rubber coating, right? Five coats has to amount to something.

Did you use their "pre-dip spray" as well? Makes sense on the wax. I don't have any clear coat chipping on the RX-7 but there are areas where the clear coat is completely gone and probably no amount of waxing will help. Those are the areas I'm worried about.

I do find it funny they sell Wagner power sprayers with their kit. And I thought those were only good for spraying fences and stuff. Were you able to get a nice, smooth surface? I know if not done correctly it will end up with a texture (actually the intended purpose) but I don't know how forgiving it is. I'm also curious as to how much weight this stuff adds. It's basically a sprayable rubber coating, right? Five coats has to amount to something.

Yes, the gallons (prokits) are all pre-thinned ready to spray.
What I found out is that, you have to spray it on all at once.
Don't spray it in light coats, lay it down in harder coats than how you would normally spray with a spray paint. If you watch the videos of how Fonzie from DYC does it, you can see that every time he lays it down, he lays it kinda thick, and the paint looks "wet", and that's what you want. If it's not you may get texture (rough) on it.

Best way is to practice it the spray can yourself on something small first and test out different styles of spray and distances and you'll get it. Took me a while before I understood how to do it well.

You can also talk to Jeremy Rohrs from "sspperformance[dot com]", he dipped his GTR in the blue and i saw it in person, and he did very well.

Back