Ipod question

Vorret

:
CX-5 GS FWD
Will the car work with *any* apple product?
I'm looking to buy a used apple shuffle 3rd gen that would stay in the car to play our music.

I don't have first hand knowledge, but I would say yes. Mine works with a first gen iTouch with no worries.

question: would you be using the aux input cable, or an ipod dock connector? ANY mp3 player will work through the aux input jack, but you will need a dock connector equipped ipod to use an "iPod" connector kit. none of the models in the shuffle line up were ever supplied with a dock connector.

I have a 2nd gen shuffle, I can test it out after work today, but I would be surprised if it didn't work (in both the usb port and audio jack).

The shuffle comes with the usb cable, so it would plug right in.

Ehm... we used a Ipod usb cable with my girlfriends touch, is that a dock connector?
We could use that one but she uses it all the time and won't let me take it along with me that's why I want a cheap alternative but I really like the menu/playlist that we get with the Ipod and from what I gather it's not available with a simple mp3 player...

question: would you be using the aux input cable, or an ipod dock connector? ANY mp3 player will work through the aux input jack, but you will need a dock connector equipped ipod to use an "iPod" connector kit. none of the models in the shuffle line up were ever supplied with a dock connector.

Huh? You don't need a dock conector; just USB, which the shuffle has, obviously.
OP: Yes, it works; I just verified

Does a shuffle have a menu? I thought it just played randomly (hence the name). If true, would any kind of menu and song selection still show up in the CX5 display screen? I have a new Nano and it works great with a full menu, still learning how it all works as I just got the car last night.

Does a shuffle have a menu? I thought it just played randomly (hence the name). If true, would any kind of menu and song selection still show up in the CX5 display screen? I have a new Nano and it works great with a full menu, still learning how it all works as I just got the car last night.

The shuffle itself doesn't have a menu, per se. The new ones, however, can have multiple playlists and you can pick which one you want to play from and that sort of thing

I have a fourth gen 20gb iPod from 2004 and it doesn't work with the car, so there is definitely some sort of software limitation with older iPods.

60gb 5th gen iPod video works a treat plugged in to the USB!

Does it (the ipod) have the newest firmware loaded to it?

I checked and it's on 3.1.1, which after a little bit of Googling seems to be the latest. When I plug it in, the car recognizes it as an iPod with the tab lit up on the screen but it won't let me operate it. Oh well...good thing I have my old iPhone to use as an iPod touch!

Just wanted to add, it seems to work ok with iPhone 5 and 2nd gen Touch, and iPhone 4 -- all in our household have had no issues.

Now I'm thinking of upgrading my Touch to an iPad Mini -- anyone use one of these in the Mazda. Looking to connect via the USB cable. Any feedback would be appreciated. I anticipate no issues, but it's great to hear from someone who may already be using one.

Will the car work with *any* apple product?
I'm looking to buy a used apple shuffle 3rd gen that would stay in the car to play our music.

Vorrent, did you get one of these and if so did it work as suggested later in the thread? I ask because I have one and I cannot get it to work via the USB connection whereas my iPhone 4 and older iPod work fine this way. Of course it works fine through the aux input.

Anyone with insight please feel free to chime in, I'm stumped.

I use my iPod Classic in the car and usually it has no problems. Loads all the music, etc.
However.. Lately I have noticed that it forgets the place where it was playing and starts at song #1 every time the car has not been in use for at least a day, or it's been cold outside (20's F). Also the iPod loses all its battery very quickly lately, even when it's full battery in the evening, it has nothing the next day - is it because temperatures have been low lately? Not sure why.. but definitely a pain in the butt!

I pod classic has an actual hard drive like a laptop computer.

Leaving it in the cold, one would expect it to not work optimally right away...

I use my iPod Classic in the car and usually it has no problems. Loads all the music, etc.
However.. Lately I have noticed that it forgets the place where it was playing and starts at song #1 every time the car has not been in use for at least a day, or it's been cold outside (20's F). Also the iPod loses all its battery very quickly lately, even when it's full battery in the evening, it has nothing the next day - is it because temperatures have been low lately? Not sure why.. but definitely a pain in the butt!

Yes that's you're problem there, most batteries don't produce the normal output below freezing and need to warm up before that will happen.

Back