Oxygen Sensor Change with Photos

vicvega

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
First I'd like to point out that I was able to get the Upstream OEM Denso for $30.00 USD Shipped. I've been using DENSO for years and I can swear by them.
Here is the link for anyone intrested:
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Now for the fun part.

Disconnect Battery Cable - This way the computer will reset itself to accomodate the new sensor.

Remove air intake snorkel:
20120806_091717.jpg

Unplug to old sensor. Mine did not want to disconnect so I use a small flat blade screw driver.
20120806_092800.jpg

Remove the heat sheild. 10mm bolts. Three on top one on bottom of sheild
20120806_091816.jpg

Remove Sensor with sensor socket. I used a 7/8 wrench and had no problems:
20120806_092828.jpg

Removed Sensor:
20120806_092916.jpg

Compare Sensors:
20120806_092950.jpg

Compare Plugs:
20120806_093001.jpg

Re-install everything in reverse order

I applied Dielectric grease as a personal preference:
20120806_094010.jpg

I put grease in and out of plug:
20120806_094155.jpg

New Sensor installed:
20120806_093129.jpg

Sensor Plugged in:
20120806_095656.jpg

I left my heat sheild off as it was rusted out till I find a repleacement. I re-installed the air intake snorkel back on:
20120806_100430.jpg

Re-connected the battery and started the the car right up. Car feels like it's pulling harder but that may be just me.

I also cleaned the Mass Sensor, Throttle Body, EGR valve and changed the plugs.

Hope this helps anyone out there looking to do this.

This is very simple as long as the old sensor is not seized in.

Last edited:
Couple of things
Pics don't work
I would highly suggest using the o2 socket as you can rent it at autozone for free and it will garunteed you won't strip it off.

Good write-up.

In addition to what tweety2300 said, I wouldn't recommend putting dielectric grease on the contacts, it might give you continuity problems in the future. Rub it on the outside of the connector to ease installation/removal but that's it.

I know the downstream one I replaced it was that long but the upstream one wire is. It that long ? Y is the one u got so long ? Makes me think it's a downstream one? Jw because I need to replace my upstream one and would hate to order the wrong one ..

Pictures fixed. Thanks for the tip on the grease. I've never had a problem before but I will keep an eye out.

I double checked the part number at the local parts store and online and made sure it was an upstream before ordering it.

The Bosch one I bought also had a very long wire. There's probably another car that uses the same connector but with a longer wire...

Dielectric grease is non-conductive and is designed for eliminating air-pockets between semi-conductors and heat-sinks. In some cars which have a single wire, the thread needs to be a good connection to the exhaust. In some cars, they use a heating element which may also need a good earth via the threads. Copper impregnated grease maintains a good electrical connection and stops seizing.

JJ

Never noticed this thread until now. I see the Denso's O2 sensor tip is a bit narrower than the other one, maybe Bosch.
I couldn't do the spark-plug non-fouler thing because the Bosch O2 sensor didn't fit through after drilling it out with a 1/2" drill bit.

Back