Do the leather seats get hot?

katmar

:
16 CX-5 GT and 13 CX-5 Touring AWD
For those of your with leather seats, do they get unbearably hot in the sun? Is it an inconvenience in summer months?

I was planning on getting the Touring trim as I prefer cloth seats, but I like that passive keyless entry option badly enough to consider the Grand Touring... ;)

Don't have them in mine - got the touring. But it's the first car I've owned in years that hasn't had black leather seats and they have never been an issue for me. It gets plenty hot in Maryland, especially recently too. Depends on how delicate your skin is, and your attitude I guess. My mom in upstate NY complained about hers constantly in the summer - on a car I actually eventually bought from her and had no issues with. I simply don't notice it.

I test drove a GT when it was 95+ outside.
Seats were hot.
Went with the touring just to avoid the leather.

any car with leather seats will be hot - there is no getting around it. If you park outside, try and put a carshade in the windshield and perhaps tint your side windows. else, get cloth.

Same here.

Soo glad I talked my wife into NOT getting a model with leather. Just about any vehicle with leather will give you sweaty cheeks and sweaty backs upon contact lol. I'd turn on AC high for about 3-4 minutes before sitting, I'd park in the shade, and open the windows to vent warm air out in my leather seated car.

Now in my wifes CX-5 we just jump in turn on the AC and go. The force (I mean AC) is strong in this one too.

Last edited:
I have leather seats, the back seats thanks to the 20% tints never ever get hot. Now the front is another story,will burn you if exposed to the sun for a long time. Getting tints installed for the front tomorrow so that should help a lot. Personally I love the look and feel of leather seats, nothing beats that comfort.

Last edited:
Not a problem as long as skin doesn't directly touch the leather. Don't sit on a hot leather seat wearing shorts.

I have the black leather interior and haven't had any issues. We've reached 106 degrees here in D.C. and the car is never in the shade. Like another poster said, it depends on what you can handle. (Sort of how I can't handle most hot sauces!)

I tinted the front windows a little bit to help with the heat and I'm really happy with the whole setup.

Non-issue for me, have not experienced a problem.

I have factory dark rear tint and 35% tint on 2 fronts.

When I am wearing sweaty gym or tennis shorts I use automotive "seat towels" (black cotton washable covers that easily loop over headrests designed for this purpose)

Keep moonroof sunshade closed in sunny weather.

Tints and windshield UV tint (70%)...in FL, it's 90+ 10 months per year. I don't have leather now, but did have black leather...luckily I park in garages most of the time, but at home it sits out in the heat....happy to not only have cloth, but tan cloth.

where did you get your seat covers? I was interesting in getting a set too when i go out for sports etc.

thx

Non-issue for me, have not experienced a problem.

I have factory dark rear tint and 35% tint on 2 fronts.

When I am wearing sweaty gym or tennis shorts I use automotive "seat towels" (black cotton washable covers that easily loop over headrests designed for this purpose)

Keep moonroof sunshade closed in sunny weather.

Jeep seat cover-All Things Jeep.gif
where did you get your seat covers? I was interesting in getting a set too when i go out for sports etc.

thx

Sorry for delayed response, I just returned from overseas flight.

I have black ones from All Things Jeep, (I used to have a Jeep) I use this in my CX-5 with black leather.

I have gray ones for my Lexus with gray leather interior, bought them at dealer.

You can probably find them at some internet automotive place with the Mazda logo. To me the logo isn't important as long as the color is right. I use them frequently for sports, etc.

My black leather seats do NOT get unpleasently hot BUT the steering wheel (leather) certainly does here in upstate New York

There have been 95+ days in my area the past week. With black leather and black exterior I have not had problems with the leather being uncomfortably hot.

I love leather seats, easy to clean, and looks good. I put a towel on the seat in the sun when parked, then just pitch the towel in the back seat when I get in to drive. Even if I forget, it's never "burned" my skin. Yes it is hot, but only for a couple minutes.

Back