PR5 cranks but won't start

spifco

:
02 Mazda Protege5
So I'd like to begin with sup ya'll I'm new to the forum I've only looked at these things never really joined or posted to any of them.

I recently bought an '02 protege5 with 155000 miles on it it had a blown motor, so I swapped the engine, but it won't start, I double checked all connections everything is in its place. The engine cranks with a slight whine at first then continues kick'n, but it will not start the timing belt is good, all fluids are topped off and I've got power to everything.

Q?: What else could be the cause for it not to start?

Make: Mazda
Model: Protege5
Engine: 2.0L 16 valve DOHC off an 03 Protege with about 90,000 miles
Color: Lellow (Yellow)

Last edited:
Check your fuel pressure.
also check for corroded coilpacks and change your spark plugs
that shuold help!

okay so I checked everything all over again. took the liberty to change the timing belt and triple check the wiring, I do have fuel pressure and i do have spark, but no dice. I think I may have flooded the engine with gas cause man oh man does it wreak of fuel. I had new plugs on the car and put the old ones back in. I did however notice a bit of moisture on one of the plugs I pulled out. What could caused that? I looked in the plug chamber and could not see anything. (shrug)

Hope this helps

Starting15.jpg

Starting1.jpg

Starting2.jpg

Starting3.jpg

Last edited:
Engine has bad head gasket water is leaking into combustion chamber. Oh well on to head gasket.

So I've swapped out the gasket and cleaned the head, ran some oil through the engine to remove any water left behind. Now I seem to have a rough start and a quick shut off unless idle high. Should I run some sea foam through the crank case to assist the water evaporation and cylinder lubrication.

UNO PARA TODOS Y NADA PARA UNO.
- Los Zapatistas

Antifreeze being burned with the fuel while the head gasket was going could have damaged your O2 sensor causing the EFI to run an incorrect amount of fuel, therefore rough start and incorrect idle speed.

Are you still tripping your CEL? If so, you need to get it read somehow. That will tell you a lot.

Sounds like the motor is getting too much air. Check your air intake. You can get a $30 ODB II reader from Autozone. Need be I will post the service for you.

Last edited:
Did you hook up all the vaccume lines? Sounds like a big vaccume leak if the idle is rough but runs fine

Well its a rough start but won't remain on unless I keep it above 2000 rpms. So I re-gapped the spark plugs. here is a video update.

Last edited:
That sounds unnatural. Are you sure you tighten the bolts for the head back down correctly? That sounds like it's coming from the intake. Something is not hooked up correctly or has broken off. EGR Value may have something to do with it. Also you might want to run a compression test on it too.

Last edited:
You need to do more diagnostics. Do a compression test. Get a vacuum gauge to see if there is leaks etc.

I tried to start her this morning and the whole engine shook like it wanted to jump out... ha ha ha I think I'm going to check the timing just in case it jumped. So I went and got me a code reader and I got a P0140 which is just a generic O2 sensor. I cleared the fault and still no dice....

Last edited:
Back