205/45-16's on stock rims?

njaremka

Wiggity-Wack-O-Tack
Contributor
:
2012 Mini R55
Anyone running 205/45-16's on stock Protege/Protege5 16 inch rims? Pictures? This size should be "slightly" smaller than the stock size, and should fit the rims ok, but I'd like to hear other opinions before I get them.

no one? i'm going to be a pioneer?

i'm going to be ordering some Kuhmo Ecsta ASX in 205/45-16 today, and have them installed over the weekend.

I'm running 205/50/16s because there seems to be a larger selection in that size compared to the 195/50/16s. The 205/50s provide a slightly better ride than the 205/45/16s. The diameters are as follows:

195/50/16 23.7"
205/45/16 23.3"
205/50/16 24.1"

My next set may be Continental Extreme Contact DWs. I have them on my MX6 GT and love them.

Last edited:
yeah, i did all the size comparisons. i ran stock size for a looong time, until i picked up the FD wheels. with the FD's, i ran 215/45-16's. however, that size has become the golden unicorn for some reason. i'm not planning on keeping the car for too much longer, and i only really drive it back and forth to work, so i wanted something that would provide a sporty ride, higher tread wear, and was fairly inexpensive. i bought the kuhmo's from tire rack for about $400 shipped, which i found reasonable. my shop only charges ~$20 per wheel to mount and balance. i'm getting them installed today, so i should have pictures and impressions available later tonight.

215s are becoming terribly difficult to find in 16 inch. I've run two sets of 215s over the last 6 years of owning this car, but i think I am going to have to go back to 205s...there's just nothing there anymore, especially when it comes to all-seasons with descent treadlife.

so, here they are... (don't mind the condition of the car)

so far, they ride well. comparing to the 215/45's on the FD wheels, they have decent response. ride well, good handling, responsive enough.

Attachments

• IMG_0816.JPG
    IMG_0816.JPG
    146.8 KB · Views: 1,032
  • IMG_0818.JPG
    IMG_0818.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 804
What are you going to buy once you sell your car?

The best ones are the 04-05 Mazdaspeed versions but they run anywhere from $11,000 - $16,000. If you don't have that much to spend, you can find a 2001 (many improvements over 99-00s) for about $7000. A nice first gen can be bought for a bit more than half that but the mileage will probably be higher than that of the 2nd gen.

i am very familiar with pretty much every model, and its going to come down to what i can afford. i'd like to get a newer retractable hard top model, since it would become my daily driver. if i went with an NB, it would have to be a mazdaspeed with a removable hard top :D and, since it would be my daily driver, i'm not too keen on an NA, since the newest ones are still 15 years old. ideally, if i can swing it, i would buy a new touring with PRHT and suspension package.

If you can afford that one, you might consider waiting a year for the upcoming 2200 lb ND. That is rumored to have a Skyactive engine with incredible gas mileage.Hopefully, it'll be available as a 2014 model, sometime in 2013.

I ran 205/45 on my stockers for the longest and had no issues with them! Also, what is your protege lowered on? Im about to go back to just lowering springs since im driving farther to work now and going to to sell my KSPORT coilovers. I'm trying to get an idea of what my car will look like with just the lowering springs and FD wheels.

I ran 205/45 on my stockers for the longest and had no issues with them! Also, what is your protege lowered on? Im about to go back to just lowering springs since im driving farther to work now and going to to sell my KSPORT coilovers. I'm trying to get an idea of what my car will look like with just the lowering springs and FD wheels.

i have the tokico HP handling kit. the front could stand be a touch lower, but i think it looks ok.

Back