Engine Oil Rise

Did you phone or email Watchdog. I am interested in this. They have not treated me bad , but I believ they are in breach of advertising with respect to service intervals for the diesel engine. Instead of Annual or 10K, it should be 12 months or 6 K.

I went on website and there is a section where it says send us your story, I did this Friday and informed Mazda UK and dealer that they may be contacted by them in due course. I have also put comments on Mazda UK Facebook page, I held a peaceful protest inside dealers 2 weeks ago when Mazda sent field engineers to try and sort my car out, they to wrongly diagnosed ending up more parts being replaced. Now I have to wait till 4th June for clutch parts, they said while they fit new short engine they will do clutch at same time!!!! I wonder!!!.
My car is the same as yours with 15000 miles on it, we need to get this out in the open to expose the problems, after all we have paid thousands of pounds for a vehicle that is faulty in more ways than one, I am going to seek legal advice next week in the matter, don't feel like I can trust the car or Mazda.

I went on website and there is a section where it says send us your story, I did this Friday and informed Mazda UK and dealer that they may be contacted by them in due course. I have also put comments on Mazda UK Facebook page, I held a peaceful protest inside dealers 2 weeks ago when Mazda sent field engineers to try and sort my car out, they to wrongly diagnosed ending up more parts being replaced. Now I have to wait till 4th June for clutch parts, they said while they fit new short engine they will do clutch at same time!!!! I wonder!!!.
My car is the same as yours with 15000 miles on it, we need to get this out in the open to expose the problems, after all we have paid thousands of pounds for a vehicle that is faulty in more ways than one, I am going to seek legal advice next week in the matter, don't feel like I can trust the car or Mazda.

What was your original problem that they changed all those parts on your car? Was it just the rising Oil level or something more?

My original problem was loss of power, turbo noise and a loud ticking, when I called Mazda assistance their technician who came out said it was on recall as the brake servo deteriorates causing the dirt to damage turbo and camshafts. From then on and the dealer confirming and replacing those parts it went downhill, mazda UK said it was not a recall but a technical enhancement for the oil filter!!! after I mentioned to them about the other parts they said yeh we have had a few where further damage has been caused!!!

Thanks to everyone who responed to my earlier posts, the information I have gleaned from the forum has been very helpful.
I am still searching for a solution to help prevent the increasing sump oil levels due to failed DPF generation cycles, but finding a solution is made more difficult by not knowing the exact criteria that the ECU uses to initiate a regeneration cycle.

There were 60,000 CX-5s sold in Europe during 2014. It appears that the oil problem hasn't dented sales figures. This suggests to me that the problem isn't as widespread as it feels to those of us who have experienced it.
I was dubious about some claims that short journeys were to blame for the large increases in sump levels since I had never experienced the problem with previous diesel cars that I have owned. This conclusion was reinforced by dealers repudiating the suggestion when asked if this was the case. So if, as has been suggested in some of the posts, the cause of the increase in oil levels is due to short or stop/start journeys, how can the problem be alleviated? Short journeys, for me at least, are a necessary part of daily life. I live in the country and the nearest dual carriageway or motorway is 45 miles away so my average speed is fairly low.

If one of the essential criteria for regeneration to take place is a pressure differential across the DPF, I was wondering if adding a DPF cleaning agent to the fuel tank when refueling would keep the DPF from getting clogged so that an active regeneration would never or at least seldom take place. I found reference to them in the Mazda 3 forum under 'Living with Mazda3 Diesels - The DPF Issues'.
Has anyone ever tried using one of these additives? If so I would interested to hear your conclusions about their use.

I have read that one of the reasons for the oil level problem appearing is due to the compulsory addition of biodiesel to ordinary diesel. Normally any diesel in the sump is supposed to evaporate but the biodiesel element of what we buy at the pumps does not. Has anyone heard of a diesel additive that prevents biodiesel remaining in the sump?

Last edited:
1000's of diesels have been sold, many of them will be used for short journeys, a very very small percentage will give problems and a small percentage of those problems will appear on a forum like this.

I do 5000 miles a year, all short journeys. I got the dipstick changed, software updated and exhaust pressure sensor changed a 15 months, after that the oil level was on full. I have done 5000 miles and have a service book next week, the oil level is about 4mm above full which is about a 1/4 way towards the X.

Now if I done 20'000 miles and the oil level was rising in proportion to distance travelled, it may reach the X.

Forums tend to only show up all the bad problems from a small perecentage of owners who actually have problems. I am already looking around for what car to change to when my warranty runs out in 2 years. I had a look on the VRS owners forum, there is a thread "what don't you not like with your car", similar to the thread on this forum. The first three pages, the only thing list really is that the bonnet catch is on the passenger side! Would be nice if that was the biggest problem with your car!

Car is back from the update.

Asked what the update was, answer "software update". Any details on the what the update does "no". Anything else done to the car "quality control", anything problems found "of course not, have a nice day".

So I'm non the wiser.

I love Mazda dealers.

Another engine failure here, among other problems.

http://www.caravantalk.co.uk/commun...nual-with-front-wheel-drive-and-150bhp/page-4

Oh damn, maybe this is what's happened to mine, I created a thread today asking if anyone else had experienced what happened to my CX-5 this week...

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...D-CX-5-73-333-miles-Have-you-had-this-problem
Have heard from the dealer a few minutes ago and currently it's looking like camshaft and turbo replacement required and an oil strain. Just about to start stripping it down to see if there are any other issues.

Last edited:
I hear you, but the Mondeo was not a low compression diesel like the SA-D is.
It really is a totally different fish, also the tech changes necessary to comply with Euro 5 and soon 6 is why Mazda have done what they have done.
Yes, Mazda are/have updated software for DPF, but the more it regenerates the more the DPF life is shortened, a Manual system will never happen because of the human element, emission standards do not an never will work that way.
Yes, I remember well the very first 626 FWD Diesel, however the engine was a licenced one, not a Mazda design.
Then came the more recent MZ-CD which was a Ford design, like MZ-R a Ford design Engine with Ford parts.
Today Mazda has just about completely divorced itself of Ford product (CX-9 3.7l V6 is the last).
This is the first Diesel engine Mazda has designed and actually made on it's own...and it is a failure, sorry.
I respect and love the brand, but I would never buy one only for the grunt/torque benefit, and I have never seen the
cost benefit analysis of them being cheaper as every service part twice the price as normal petrol engine.
IMO this SA-D has a major structural problem, that being a low compression diesel does not work.
Frankly I am disappointed for Mazda that they allowed such an engine to go into production, they had 3 years of testing and did not see this.
Did I mention the Skyactiv Transmissions (Auto's) failing at about 80K, you will hear it.

Hi. I have a 2013 CX-5 diesel - had it for around 2 years now and engine light came on (85k mileage).

Took it to a Mazda dealer and they changed the EGR and did a carbon clean (Mazda UK paid in full) and then literally weeks later I had the cam/turbo failure issue (Mazda agreed to pay 50% only).

Question I now have is - given that I mainly do short journeys, should I just sell it and get the petrol version? Are there any known issues with the petrol one?

Also, given that they have changed the cam, turbo and EGR - would it be better to keep it or will could I end up having the same issue again because of lack of motorway driving?

Thanks

Back