Engine Oil Rise

4,800km, oil level close to max, I'll have to check this more often and post observations here... I drive pretty "sporty" (170-180 km/h on highway, racing traffic... you know, all the things you shouldn't do :) ), quite happy with skyactiv-drive response, I used manual mode only few times...

No issues with DPF filter so far...

UPDATE: ok I've edited post so it's not blank anymore ("go advanced" option worked)

UPDATE2: Mazda Vienna told me OCT is the time when we can expect new mirrors to come resolving pretty annoying shaking

Cheers,
Miki

Last edited:
7.000 Kms. Just checked oil level in a rush after knowing about this issue. Level is midway between max mark and the X. Still a margin but don't like this. The oil change is here scheduled at 20.000 Kms or one year, I think it is going to happen sooner. Of those 7.000 Kms, 6.000 in highway at high speed. Not happy with that. Otherwise, great car.

Can someone post a photo of the dipstick (the oil level indicator end) please? It is difficult to visualise where the max mark is, the min level and the X

Is the 'X' an indication of a higher level than max or a lower level (min or average perhaps)?

I have been thinking about this problem and while it is stated that it is nusence due to an an increase in in crankcase oil, it is really an increase in fuel oil. Diesel fuel oil is not formulated to provide lubrication of pistons, crankshafts, connecting rods or anything else internal to the diesel engine. Ii is somewhat akin to gasoline in engine oil as it provides no lubricating properties. This leads me to believe that the problem is much more severe than just an increase in crankcase oil level. This is not just a nuisance type problem, but has long term effects on engine longevity. This is a serious problem in my opinion and I would not consider one of there engines until the cause and a solution has been identified and fixed. Bandages and frequently oil changes do not count. Ed

A number of people at the whirlpool.net.au forums have said they cancelled their CX-5 diesel order and some have not cancelled saying they have confidence in Mazda fixing the issue. I was so looking forward to the diesel coming here (NA) but Mazda can keep it offshore until its been fixed as far as I'm concerned.

Oddly the 2008 M6 diesel thread on Honest John's about the same oil rise issue seemed to die in midstream. No posts about Mazda fixing the issue at that time. Nothing??

Just found this on Honest John's reviews: Latest Update Mazda6 from 2008: DPFs of 2.2 diesel continuing to fail, resulting in total engine failure if the oil/fuel level in the engine is not checked and addressed. Today had notification of another 2.2 diesel engine failure at 36,500, but at the time of failure the engine contained 8.5 litres of fuel/oil mixture so the driver had obviously not checked the oil level. Not sure when this "latest update" was issued.

The DPF is failing? !!

But again no mention of a fix from Mazda. This certainly doesn't give me much confidence in Mazda fixing the CX5 problem.

Last edited:
Yes it's not just Mazda diesels with issue and oil dilution via diesel is hardly the best liquid to have in crankcase, not to mention impact on turbos life. DPFs are current technology to keep the filthy black particulate matter from diesels out of air.

Google "DPF failure" and see how often this is a problem. It's completely unclear to me that a diesel actually costs less to run/maintain over the life of the vehicle, especially here in the USA.

Since we have many diesel CX-5 owners around the world, maybe they can give us some insight/feedback based on experiences.

I do believe if were a very simple solution to this problem that a solution would have been available by now. Mazda will fix it but, how and when will the permanent fix be available?

Removing the DPF would probably fix the problem, but it wouldn't pass emission regulations. I hope they do find a fix soon. Maybe that's what is holding them back from bringing the diesel to NA.

I do believe if were a very simple solution to this problem that a solution would have been available by now. Mazda will fix it but, how and when will the permanent fix be available?

I think you are absolutely right. I don't believe that a simple ECU firmware update can fix it.
I think it will require hardware changes to the motor/DPF itself and I'd be willing to bet that Mazda will not fund this for existing vehicles.
I'd say they will quietly slip the change into newly manufactured vehicles and existing owners will be stuck with the problem.

I think Mazda will find a fix and if at all possible will cover all problem engines. Mazda has been outstanding in covering problems that arrise after manufacturing i.e. CX7 AC compressores & VVT ysstems.

The dip-stick redesign seems to be a bandage type fix to me. Are oil level checkers so foolish that they do not know how to pull a dipstick near a firewall? I think some UOAs for virgin and used oil are in order to target the problem. JMO.. Ed

Inconclusive, vague, entertaining prelim blather (hardly final/official) from some at Mazda on oil rising situation. "Working on investigation" and "didn't find a root cause", etc.

Last edited:
Back