Engine Oil Rise

Quote ALafya>>

Yes, I agree wholeheartedly. It is just not good enough. Fuel dilution of lubricating oil is always a bad thing. Sure, some mild dilution is a feature of some engines and driving history [includes gas or petrol engines] but this is different. We have a major car manufacturer trying to apply a "fix" which has back-fired. Mazda need to come up with a permanent fix ASAP, which doesn't penalise the owners monetarily. They are quite capable of doing this,..it's just the bean-counters procrastinating over the cost for the "fix" :)

JJ

Just to waste some time this morning I googled "diesel oil level increase". Holy doodle!! It is quite apparent that this is not an isolated (to the CX5 or Mazda) issue. As many have stated before me it seems to involve the DPF regen. Sadly, I'm becoming a bit ambivalent about Mazda's diesel coming to North America.

Mazda should pick up all oil changes until a fix is found on those vehicles who have the problem.

From my experience, Mazda doesn't exactly put a rush on implementing solutions for their design flaws, if they do at all.

However, with the CX-5 and their new diesel being the pilot for their newly touted design/engineering features, perhaps they will make something happen.

Mazdaspeed 6 owners, however, were certainly left out to dry, for the most part.

Dodged a bullet on that one!

I was really disappointed when I found there would be no diesel option for North America because I would have spent the extra money to get one. Now I'm thinking, "Be careful what you wish for, it might just come true."

inodes, where are you? We would like to hear how you are managing this or if it is affecting your vehicle at all.

For what its worth, I have the 2.2 diesel with more than 2,000km on it, no problems whatsoever with oil rise. Its going really well and I'm enjoying the power...

I expect the oil rising situation only impacts a minority of owners that drive regularly only short distances in extremely slow/heavy city traffic. Unfortunately it's not a problem unique to Mazda diesels. Regardless the problem is still serious for drivers operating vehicles in those conditions.

Last edited:
It seems this is especially haunting Mazda's CX-5 diesels, more than any other model (so 'minority' is unfounded), even for people with *very long highway commutes*.
It seems that the regen happens regardless of how the car is driven and possibly that passive clearing may not be effective even if you drive on a highway.
If not already, Mazda will have to address this with an actual fix, before convincing me to get one of these.

^ So a "majority" of the CX-5 diesels have this problem? If that's actually true (probably unfounded), that's troubling.

I too am in no rush to get a diesel, but in US diesel fuel is not subsidized.

Last edited:
Update:

Further conversation with Mazda. When the oil is replaced, no ECU changes are performed other than an ECU reset. Mazda have still acknowledged there have been some CX5 diesels with rising oil levels and Mazda Japan are investigating. On a side note it would appear all DPF Diesel (ANY BRAND OF CAR) can suffer from this problem and Honda, BMW, Skoda, VW have had similar issues over time - but not as extreme as Mazda it would seem.

I'm still on the fence - whether to continue with my order or cancel it. I have written to Mazda Australia and hope to get a response.

Main concern is if they don't find a fix quickly.......and I don't want to be paying for multiple oil changes per year!

Cheers

Further Update:

Received a very generic response letter from Mazda - rather disappointing as all it really said was the oil rising is normal and that you may have to replace oil before scheduled services.

The Service department of the dealer has been very helpful and the Service Manager did all he could to alleviate my concerns; but when I received the generic response from Mazda this did nothing but inject more doubt on Mazda's commitment to help with the issue, so I have subsequently cancelled my order for the diesel CX5. Each person will have to make their own decision - but as I need the vehicle for work I couldn't afford the worry of a possibly flawed vehicle.

I am re-investigating the Pertol CX5 and have organised an extended test drive for the weekend, but I am not quite sure the performance will be adequate. I'm not after a sports car with this vehicle but the petrol in current guise is a little lack lustre. Disappointing as I feel the CX5 would have been a great addition.

Cheers..

no one in the u.k having this problem? i had my oil/filter change at 1700kms,im now on 2000 and its a tad over full.if it rises again game over ..

Please chip in fellow European CX5 diesel owners. Anyone getting oil rise issues our are your cars fine? Please do advise so that those off us looking to buy the car can apply some pressure on Mazda by withholding payment/order until they sort out this issue with a full fix. Likewise, if you're not getting these problems, please let our friend here know so they can feed this back to their dealers.

As someone who will be expected to pay for their new UK diesel in 3 Weeks, I'm very interested in heating from you.

ok just checked mine for the first time. 1800 miles done and oil level is a few mm below the max mark, seems fine. :)

Just had my oil replaced at 5.5K, serviced before at 2K. Checked the level after the article in smh.com.au. Servicemen told me it is normal that diesel gets into engine. ... Doubt it... Will be checking regularly now... Shame, otherwise great car!

Just had my oil replaced at 5.5K, serviced before at 2K. Checked the level after the article in smh.com.au. Servicemen told me it is normal that diesel gets into engine. ... Doubt it... Will be checking regularly now... Shame, otherwise great car!

Miles or kilometers? Regardless not good.

Back