Engine Oil Rise

Ahh, your app looks different than mine but I'm sure has the pretty much the functionality. I've been playing with mine for over a month but don't have a diesel (no diesel in US yet) and just like being able to know and graph things a lot. I'm not sure if there is a specific sensor for the diesel but would think that the cat temp sensor or one of the fuel trim or fuel usage sensors should show when an active dpf regen is happening. The sensor by the cat may be a good one to graph and set some kind of notification when it hits a certain temperature. I hope you can get some good data and share it if you do and I also hope Mazda fixes any diesel issues for you guys.

I would be interested in a future diesel so am trying to learn a bit by reading some of this stuff.

No, my app has not much functionality. Lot of parameters but very few are actualy read or displayed and none of special interest. It is ScanMaster for PPC and I use a HTC Leo, very disappointed.

The main reason for us to use the ELM327 is to detect and to predict when a regen is close to be launched, in orther to program a run where it not be interrupted.

One friend, you can read at the forum if you read spanish, had found the interesting data "exhaust gas temp." which may help to see that the regen is underway.

Another guy, in a french forum, has found better data: The Presion Delta FAP (DPF)

http://www.forum-auto.com/marques/mazda/sujet2935-175.htm#t155162

This is the best, when Delte closes to the value which trigger the regen...here we are!. But this was with a PC versin, very much complete, not way to use it while driving.

So, may be this is the best option
http://www.etrailer.com/Performance-Chip/Mazda/CX-5/2013/EP83730.html?vehicleid=20131166813
But quite expensive and not sure that it serves to the objective.

When car is in regen mode, istop will not function, and I personally always monitor current consumption, when consumption goes up for 10-20 % without any reason then car is in regen mode and I try not to shut it down before regen is finished.
I have been doing so for last 1000 km since I have changed oil, and oil is still at same level :)...

Yes, we know well all these symptons, incluiding instant consumption up to 99,9 in accelerations. To detect the regen under way it is not difficult. The aim is to see they coming. Many times you can't avoid to stop them because they start without warning. I use the trip counter "B" but the interval varies greatly, between 200 to 300 kms.

No, my app has not much functionality. Lot of parameters but very few are actualy read or displayed and none of special interest. It is ScanMaster for PPC and I use a HTC Leo, very disappointed.

The main reason for us to use the ELM327 is to detect and to predict when a regen is close to be launched, in orther to program a run where it not be interrupted.

One friend, you can read at the forum if you read spanish, had found the interesting data "exhaust gas temp." which may help to see that the regen is underway.

Another guy, in a french forum, has found better data: The Presion Delta FAP (DPF)

http://www.forum-auto.com/marques/mazda/sujet2935-175.htm#t155162

This is the best, when Delte closes to the value which trigger the regen...here we are!. But this was with a PC versin, very much complete, not way to use it while driving.

So, may be this is the best option
http://www.etrailer.com/Performance-Chip/Mazda/CX-5/2013/EP83730.html?vehicleid=20131166813
But quite expensive and not sure that it serves to the objective.

Which app are you using? I use the torque pro app for android (I have an HTC phone also) which was about $5.00 and has a lot of functionality but I'm not sure if it if the OBD2 PIDs are the same in US and Spain/France. There are dozens of PIDs that it auto-senses and you can set up different screens with whatever gauges or graphs you want for each PID. Your link to the Spanish forum seems to show that someone found the right PID below:

7A - Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) Bank 1
Delta pressure FAP Bank 1 (kPa)

So on Torque, I would think it should be possible to set a simple graph to track the output of this then you can set the min/max values you want to see and maybe an alarm when it hits a certain value. I would hate to think you have to pay $300 to just monitor the DPF pressure parameter.

This is my installation, soft and ELM:
http://www.wgsoft.de/de/shop/obd-2-software/scanmaster-ppc.html
http://dx.com/p/elm327-bluetooth-obd-ii-wireless-transceiver-dongle-16921
On a HTC Windows mobile 6.5

Don't know if it is the ELM or the soft or both but the results aren't very good. Have to try with an android and torque.
The Delta pressure Fap Bank 1 was also with a ScanMaster program but in PC version. And, yes, no way to pay 300 bucks for that and even it is not guarantee.
Regards.

Hey Morsa,

I don't know much about this stuff but below are a couple of links which may help you run android stuff on the HTC HD2/Leo

The Definitve Guide To Android On HTC HD2
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=732380

A Brief guide to Installing and Maintaining Android [SD/RAM] on HD2
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=881958

Well some updates regarding the oil issue.
The new CX-5 since mid january are fitted with de dipstick (long rifle) 450 - B
In Spain some dealers are calling their customer to install the new dipstick and in some cases to perform a reflash of ECU/PCM but for this operation a special machine is required. This machine is carried from dealer to dealer by technicians from the capital city.

More surprising: a dealer told to one friend of mine that not the 450-B dipstick will bi fit to his car BUT....a new dipstik with reference "C".

Someone heard about this?.

Mazda continues with his secrecy and no explanations of things done are given.

The new Mazda 6 is fitted with the dipstick B, long riifle.

Regards.

Well some updates regarding the oil issue.
The new CX-5 since mid january are fitted with de dipstick (long rifle) 450 - B
In Spain some dealers are calling their customer to install the new dipstick and in some cases to perform a reflash of ECU/PCM but for this operation a special machine is required. This machine is carried from dealer to dealer by technicians from the capital city.

More surprising: a dealer told to one friend of mine that not the 450-B dipstick will bi fit to his car BUT....a new dipstik with reference "C".

Someone heard about this?.

Mazda continues with his secrecy and no explanations of things done are given.

The new Mazda 6 is fitted with the dipstick B, long riifle.
Regards.

Hi Morsa. The reprogramming of the power control unit (pcu) is like upgrading the operating system on a computer. The firmware is reprogrammed by another computer connected to the pcu. Firmware is software which will not disappear like ROM. It probably uses an eeprom. That is an 'electrically erasable programable read only memory' chip or chips.
I have the 2.2 diesel GT and it was reprogrammed in early January. I have done 4000k since then and there is no real oil growth unlike before. If anything a max of 2mm if that. At that rate it should never reach the top of the old dipstick never mind the new one. Previous oil changes were at 2800, 4000, 6800 and at 8700 (before I went on a trip).

Hi change-man. I know your history and experiences I posted them in spanish and french forums. Happy to learn the repro works, indeed.

Here, in France where I live, I had to fight hard agianst Mazda France and delaer. The didn't change my oil when it was above old X, just drained it. I have protested and I have got my oil change for free, I was going to change paying myself in anycase. I have driven 4000 Kms with my diluted-drained diluted again oil. They only change to the new stick on january.

Rumors says that the renew-stick ref "C" have no X at all, but still has not arrived.

Regarding the regenerations, have you noticed some variation?. are there more elapsed?.

Regards.

Hi change-man. I know your history and experiences I posted them in spanish and french forums. Happy to learn the repro works, indeed.

Here, in France where I live, I had to fight hard agianst Mazda France and delaer. The didn't change my oil when it was above old X, just drained it. I have protested and I have got my oil change for free, I was going to change paying myself in anycase. I have driven 4000 Kms with my diluted-drained diluted again oil. They only change to the new stick on january.

Rumors says that the renew-stick ref "C" have no X at all, but still has not arrived.

Regarding the regenerations, have you noticed some variation?. are there more elapsed?.

Regards.
I believe that at highway speeds my cx5 had more often regens in a recent 2800 k trip. However it could have been the lesser quality diesel in the countryside. Am still monitoring.

The new dipstick has an x on it but it isn't as pronounced - however it is easily readable. According to the anecdotal info on forums etc. another reprogram for the PCM may be due after Mazda tests it thoroughly. With my limited analysis I think the first reprogram was about the amount of diesel injected on the exhaust stroke and therefore (possibly) increasing regens. The second reprogram is about the time between regens. Mr Fish confirmed my suspicions when he posted on Mazda247? I think you commented on his post.

Mazda Aust ( well my service centre) changed my oil every time I took it to them - on their own volition so credit to them. Email from Mazda stated the engine is designed to take diesel in the sump - hence the dipstick x mark. So draining the oil from the old x mark to full would seem logical to your service people. However client focused service people would remove customer doubt by changing the oil anyway.

For me now it is not the diesel in the sump oil (less than 2mm) but the number of regens and the impact on dpf and engine longevity. I have a 4 yr warranty, have the sump oil tested every oil change for wear particles and diesel contamination. My philosophy is to hope for the best but plan for the worst. I broke my cardinal rule - never buy a first model - you end up beta testing it for the manufacturer. However I believed the Mazda hype and the salesperson's comments tha the Mazda diesel had fixed the issues suffered by other diesel cars.

My car is now running well and is fit for purpose. If it manifests a fault condition in the future linked to this oil thing, I'll take action. However I believe it may be fixed. I even had posted questions on Mazda Japan's website - in Japanese. Japanese CX5 diesel owners contacted me by Facebook. It was news to them about the oil rise. Japanese forums have heaps on them and the car owners are a little obsessive about their cars.

Hope your Mazda experiences improve my forum friend.

Thank you very much for your instructive report, it ensures. I had the same "cardinal rule" now broken as your...the beauty of the car got us.
Yes, I know the famous post of Mr. Fish but I do not credit it too much us a customer experience, it looks like a Mazda damage control effort as an unknow tell all this and dissapears. Anyway things looks being happenig this way, only a little too slow in Europe.

The big problem is the lack of clear information from Mazda and the behavior of many dealers who thinks customer are idiots.

About Japan and CX-5 a french colleague told to the forum that the problem there, with some 25.000 diesels solds, is unknown because according to him they change their oil every 5000 km...so never an issue.

Anyway thanks again. I'll keep the forum informed when reflash done and what about regens.

The Mazda CX-5 oil rise fix has arrived in the UK.

The same fix that begun in Japan which is being rolled out in Australia is now being applied to UK vehicles. The fix consists of an ECU software update to reduce overfuelling under acceleration conditions apparently (not DPF regen cycle). It also includes the revised dipstick with an X mark raised by 11mm.

The latter is not to be considered a fix. Make sure you monitor your rate of oil rise as this s the important observation here. If it isn't significantly reduced (by 60% in my case) then the car still will not make it to the specified oil service interval and the car cannot be deemed 'fit for purpose'. Only time and monitoring will tell.

The software update cannot be done by UK dealer technicians but has to be done by MazdaUK own technicians.

I hope this provides some alleviation of any concerns my fellow islanders may have regarding the issue. It's a sign at least that Mazda accept the issue as an issue in Europe as well as other continents and that they are working to solve it.

Hi soupafly, how do you know about the UK status? Did your dealer contact you, or Mazda direct, or did you have to ask?

Thank you very much for your instructive report, it ensures. I had the same "cardinal rule" now broken as your...the beauty of the car got us.
Yes, I know the famous post of Mr. Fish but I do not credit it too much us a customer experience, it looks like a Mazda damage control effort as an unknow tell all this and dissapears. Anyway things looks being happenig this way, only a little too slow in Europe.

The big problem is the lack of clear information from Mazda and the behavior of many dealers who thinks customer are idiots.

About Japan and CX-5 a french colleague told to the forum that the problem there, with some 25.000 diesels solds, is unknown because according to him they change their oil every 5000 km...so never an issue.

Anyway thanks again. I'll keep the forum informed when reflash done and what about regens.

On no I just thought, maybe MR.FISH is a RED HERRING! (wiki RED HERRING if I'm not making much sense!)

I can confirn that also in Italy the new ECU/PCU reflash is being installing by Mazda's "men in black" with his suitcase at same moment fitting the "B" dipstick

I'm the one who started the thread and I should keep you guys up to date.
My car is not affected of the engine oil issue. I have been monitoring the oil level and notice a little rise but not over X mark. I took my car in for 10,000 km service couple days ago.
The technicians and mechanics at Mazda dealer just upgrade the ECU and order the new dipstick for me.
I was told that Mazda Australia instructed them to do so for all Mazda CX5 Diesel from ..... (Interrupted by a manager who did not want me to k ow further) it seems that Mazda Australia quietly make an informal recall.

FYI: my car is
CX5 GTD Tech Pack
Build date April 2012
Done 8500km
70% short trip less than 15 mins (5 to 10km)
20% highway trip 1 hour (50 to 70 km)
10% long trip (300km trip)

Oil level rise up just over the F mark not reached the X mark

Mrs dives the car most of the time so she does not care regen or oil check ....

Very interesting Tinymoon. You should be a candidate to "fabricate" oil, according to your car usage as said by Mazda, but you are not.
My car oil reached the X, well wet, at 7800km, 5000 of those kms were very long trips 600-1000 kms the rest short trip 10 - 12 km. The car disembarked on June 6th 2012 (not in Normandy but in Antwerp) so it may be finished sometime end April.

It is very curious that Mazda hides the date of cars to apply the upgrade and too the "quietly informal recall". Do you know if the machine which was used to perform your upgrade is the MMDS at the dealer shop or another special for the task?.

Regards.

Yeah, I just checked on Japanese sites and forums to see any light as they may have something news but there is none. They just have got what we have up to now with PCM upgrade and dipstick.

I can not enter the workshop as it is restricted area for staff only.

The max oil rise in my car is just a bit above the F mark so I am not worry at all but since there is an upgrade in the PCM so I will keep an eye on the oil level for the next 2000km to see if it improves or worse.

Hi All

Am new to the site and have been reading this tread with interest as I am a thinking of purchasing a CX-5. Thought this link might be of interest as it seems that Mazda UK is not aware of any problems and the long term test car at What Car magazine has not encountered any issues either. I'll be interested to see if any UK owners report in with any issues.

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/our-cars-mazda-cx-5/263047

Hi Col. You have posters on this forum from UK who have reported the oil rise issue. All Mazda "offices" in every country deny any problem It is just a "singularity" of the model. My oil was changed last monday by Mazda France who took it in charge but I had to write very hard letters.
The car is good but need you to "drop an eye" on the oil.

Back